Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 61 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Seen MON in Edinburgh airport yesterday and told him he’d had a lucky escape and can’t blame him turning us down. He laughed and wished me a safe journey. What could have been for us I wonder? 

Funnily enough someone told me the exact same words and that we had had a lucky escape from him. We will never know .

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not really.

What would you say if it was an Aberdeen manager in the same situation? Am I just meant to say I want us to lose our manager?

If I was a massive fan of the dons manager it would be bittersweet if that manager left but I would still be happy that he was now manager of the national team who I also support. I certainly would think "scotland should go fuck themselves". Each to their own though.

Its a bloody disgrace we haven;t got a manager yet!!! its almost a quarter of a year with friendlies coming up too. Its only my opinion but its almost getting to the point where nobody gives a shit about the national side. The support is very apathetic, the clubs clearly see it as a hindrance and those in charge either don't care or are completely incompetent.  

Last club managed: Zamalek in Egypt in season 2015/2016

According to Wikipedia he got punted after only 10 games in charge despite a record of w6 d2 l2

However, it seems his league record was p5 w2 d1 l2

Zamalek were 3 points behind the league leaders when McLeish took over, when he got punted (5 games later!), they were 11 points behind.

Zamalek finished the season 7 points behind the league winners.

Edited by davew

22 minutes ago, davew said:

Last club managed: Zamalek in Egypt in season 2015/2016

According to Wikipedia he got punted after only 10 games in charge despite a record of w6 d2 l2

However, it seems his league record was p5 w2 d1 l2

Zamalek were 3 points behind the league leaders when McLeish took over, when he got punted (5 games later!), they were 11 points behind.

Zamalek finished the season 7 points behind the league winners.

Followed Zamalek for my five-years in Cairo in the 1980s. I see they went through four managers (plus one caretaker) in 2016, and performed even worse the following season. Mcleish was up against Martin Jol (managing Al Ahly, their main rival) for most of his tenure.

Edit: Looks like Jol is currently unemployed an' all ...

Edited by DonnyTJS

10 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Followed Zamalek for my five-years in Cairo in the 1980s. I see they went through four managers (plus one caretaker) in 2016, and performed even worse the following season. Mcleish was up against Martin Jol (managing Al Ahly, their main rival) for most of his tenure.

:ok:

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not really.

What would you say if it was an Aberdeen manager in the same situation? Am I just meant to say I want us to lose our manager?

I'd be confused. Gutted at the thought of losing McInnes and worried we'll replace him someone hopeless like we have done so often in the past. Delighted as he would be better choice for Scotland manager than some of the names being mentioned. Probably slightly more gutted than delighted. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

If I was a massive fan of the dons manager it would be bittersweet if that manager left but I would still be happy that he was now manager of the national team who I also support. I certainly would think "scotland should go fuck themselves". Each to their own though.

Its a bloody disgrace we haven;t got a manager yet!!! its almost a quarter of a year with friendlies coming up too. Its only my opinion but its almost getting to the point where nobody gives a shit about the national side. The support is very apathetic, the clubs clearly see it as a hindrance and those in charge either don't care or are completely incompetent.  

He's been Killie manager for a matter of months, we are on an onwards trajectory just now and if we lose Clarke we'll get nobody anywhere near as good.

I want him nowhere near the Scotland job.

55 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Sky Sports reporting that talks between the SFA and Mcleish have taken place.

If he gets the job then the entire SFA board ought to be sacked forthwith.

About as uninspiring and backward thinking appointment as is possible.

No ambition whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's been Killie manager for a matter of months, we are on an onwards trajectory just now and if we lose Clarke we'll get nobody anywhere near as good.

This. I'd be happy for him to take on the Scotland job in a couple of years, but it would feel like he's abandoned his duties by moving on so soon.

Hopefully the SFA appreciate the impact it would have on one of their largest member clubs and act accordingly (ie. look elsewhere).

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Totally understand your position. Unfortunately if he continues the way he’s going, I can’t see him being at Killie next season. 

4 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Oh...?

4 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Sorry Squirellthumper, but think you will agree Clark is the standout candidate left.

Big Eck has had his day , wasn't very good even at his peak , now he can't even get a job in Qatar or Mexico .

I used to quite enjoy my wee trips to Rugby Park to see Thistle play Killie.  Good half-time pies and usually a decent chance of coming away with a good result.  Then Steve Clarke became Killie manager. (At the moment I'd take being humped by Killie at Rugby Park if it meant Thistle were still in the SPFL but that's another matter).  So for that and several other reasons I hope he's at least being seriously considered.

Mcleish would be an uninspiring choice but not a disaster.  He's a good manager who has achieved things in the game and did well the last time he was in charge.  He'd certainly be preferable to some of the other names mentioned - Caldwell, Gemmill, Hughes etc. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

This. I'd be happy for him to take on the Scotland job in a couple of years, but it would feel like he's abandoned his duties by moving on so soon.

Hopefully the SFA appreciate the impact it would have on one of their largest member clubs and act accordingly (ie. look elsewhere).

I would hope the SFA are looking for the best manager to take the Scotland team forward, if that is one of the member clubs, so be it.