Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 58 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Actually, Away in a Manger it is the proper way to conduct yourself though.

I cannot EVER recall any national football association naming a target for the job in the gutter press. The proper way to do it is leave it open to applicants. Those interested apply. Simples.

As to Michael O'Neill wanting to restructure the SFA etc that was never going to happen. And that isn't new either as I do believe Gordon Strachan made similar noises prior to him getting the job and nothing happened. The blazers at the SFA are bullet-proof. They have a recent history of taking on rank rotten managers in Burley and Levein who paid the price with the sack yet those that hired them carry on in their jobs as if they weren't culpable. Sadly, I don't see anything changing at the SFA.

O'Neill is better off where he is. He is loved there and will get full backing. If he had become Scotland manager and got off to a bad start the knives would have been out quicker than if with Northern Ireland. Some managers have clubs/countries when things are going really well but then they jump/move on to a bigger club or challenge and things go pear-shaped. Paul Lambert at Norwich springs to mind, Moyes at Everton, Coleman at Wales, McLeish at Scotland etc etc etc. are prime examples and I guarantee there are lots more. Sometimes managers get a great spirit and feelgood factor at a club/country and when they go elsewhere they cannot reproduce that and things quickly go tits up.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Actually, Away in a Manger it is the proper way to conduct yourself though.

I cannot EVER recall any national football association naming a target for the job in the gutter press. The proper way to do it is leave it open to applicants. Those interested apply. Simples.

Once the original overtures were made, it was always going to leak one way or another. That is one of the (negative) consequences of doing it that way, just as your approach also has negative consequences (see previous post)

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

O'Neill is better off where he is. He is loved there and will get full backing. If he had become Scotland manager and got off to a bad start the knives would have been out quicker than if with Northern Ireland. 

The answer to that is that if you truly believe you've got your man, then you hold your nerve.

Unless you (not you personally) are a follower of the sage who once declared: "It is a well known fact that there is no problem in football which cannot be solved by sacking your manager. Which explains why Halifax Town win the Champions League, season-in, season-out..."

2 things. 1 : what are the sfa saying to these guys, mon, smith to make them run a  mile?

I was for Mcleish or Smith because of all the games in the last 20 years or so where we totally outplayed the opposition and scored goals these guys were involved in most of them.  These are the games where I really believed we'd turned the corner and were going to qualify.

(a) Norway 06   w2-1 we played great that night

(a) Slovenia  w3-0  after vogts terrible regime, smith sure turned things round quick

(a) Lithuania  w2-1  we had struggled with this team away before and we destroyed them that night

(h) France  w1-0  I remember us really taking the game to them but could be beer glasses

All under Smith, then

(a) Austria  w1-0  I know it was friendly but one of our best performances 

(h) Lithuania  w3-1

(h) Ukraine  w3-1  Surely one of greatest ever performances, place rocking at it from the start against wc 1/4 finalists

under Mcleish

But also under Strachan, hmmm

(h) Croatia  w2-0  Good side trying to qualify and we showed how much better we were then them

(h) Ireland  w1-0  The most onesided 1-0 I've ever seen, also parkhead makes a great venue for us

These I credit to Strachan, course then everything goes tits up for over 2 years

after I give Strachan no credit

(a) Lithuania  w3-0

(h) Slovakia  w1-0  again we battered them I think it was 24-4 shots on goal

These came about because we filled the team with celtic boys

So I was for smith or McLeish to recreate there magic of 10 years ago.  Or no manager and fill the team with players from teams who have to win every week.  ie Celtic and Aberdeen

Although out of 152 games since 2000 there were only 11 games where we played brilliantly. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Alex Neil is an interesting one. Solid managerial record but he is yet to manage a real big club. Maybe too soon for him.

You know I've been kinda trying real hard to find a new manager who ticks the boxes for everyone.

ie, new face - seems to be really important to everybody on here.

ie, shows he can bring through youngsters -  yes at hamilton

ie, shows he can get a team with less resources to over achieve, yes

Yes, I am all for Alex Neil, could be our Joachim low

Piss off mon we've got our own version, Alex Neil.  is he available?

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

But, but, but Wee Chicken Baws had built up momentum so he should have stayed for this campaign 😂😂😂

Aye, momentum that's going to stagnate for 4 months between games. Some fans  really have no forward vision and are happy to plod along with the status quo

No way should wee chicken baws have continued.  The success we had was despite wcb.  We had totally stagnated after the irish game at parkhead.  He continued selecting out of form players from the sob leagues.  as soon as the celtic lads who had been unbeaten all season were put in in the home Slovenia game we turned the corner.  If you think this was some masterplan by wcb, he reverted to type for the depressingly average performance against Slovenia away.  Play 6+ celtic players (beat Slovenia, Lithuania, Slovakia,malta and draw sob)  Play 6+ wealthy out of form players fromm the sob championship (lose Slovakia,sob, draw Lithuania draw Slovenia)

6+ celtic players P5 W4 D1

Play wgs,wcb team P5 W1 D2 L2

We won despite him. we are well rid of wcb.

Alex Neil is our guy.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Alex Neil is an interesting one. Solid managerial record but he is yet to manage a real big club. Maybe too soon for him.

I’m sure Northern Ireland fans said the same thing about Michael O’Neill. 

I’m far too young to remember (honest) but I guarantee that Scotland fans said something similar about Roxburgh and Brown. Hardly world beaters but in terms of qualifiers they got the job done.

Sadly, managing Scotland isn’t as big a deal as it used to be and I will just happy to get a decent manager in place that knows his arse from his elbow. 

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Define "solid managerial record". I see a guy who done well at a lower level then failed in the top tier, which is where International football is.

6 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Define "solid managerial record". I see a guy who done well at a lower level then failed in the top tier, which is where International football is.

Close to winning half his games in charge at unfashionable clubs. Gaining promotion at Hamilton and Norwich all before he hit his mid 30s is how I define solid.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Close to winning half his games in charge at unfashionable clubs. Gaining promotion at Hamilton and Norwich all before he hit his mid 30s is how I define solid.

Promising turned stuttering managerial career surely

Still, enough to be a firm candidate at the moment

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure Northern Ireland fans said the same thing about Michael O’Neill. 

I’m far too young to remember (honest) but I guarantee that Scotland fans said something similar about Roxburgh and Brown. Hardly world beaters but in terms of qualifiers they got the job done.

Sadly, managing Scotland isn’t as big a deal as it used to be and I will just happy to get a decent manager in place that knows his arse from his elbow. 

When have we ever had a decent manager

Stein and Ferguson never got us to where they should have

Rest were average then underwhelmed

Smith was closest come in recent times and now walked away twice

Just give it to Scotland Gemmill, at least he wants it

11 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Promising turned stuttering managerial career surely

Still, enough to be a firm candidate at the moment

No I wouldn't say it is stuttering. He has led two unfashionable clubs in Hamilton and Norwich to promotion. He is now at Preston (another unfashionable club) and they lie 7th in the Championship so in the hunt for promotion. All of these achievements at clubs not bestowed with cash to spend and he is still in his 30s.

I know we probably could never get alex ferguson(he not wanting to do it) but surely you have to ask these guys,its only answer one way or another.His influence on certain players is immense,young Scott McTominay seems to be swaying towards England now,but if Ferguson was manager im sure a young player like that would hang on every word Ferguson spoke.Scotland needs all the young talent out there.Obviously if Ferguson didn't want it I would take a gamble on Alex Neil.As long its not Alex Mcleish maybe he doesn't want it now after looking on this site seeing he's got no support.

Ask Sir Alex he can only say no!Im sure its painless.

3 minutes ago, BigLewy said:

I know we probably could never get alex ferguson(he not wanting to do it) but surely you have to ask these guys,its only answer one way or another.His influence on certain players is immense,young Scott McTominay seems to be swaying towards England now,but if Ferguson was manager im sure a young player like that would hang on every word Ferguson spoke.Scotland needs all the young talent out there.Obviously if Ferguson didn't want it I would take a gamble on Alex Neil.As long its not Alex Mcleish maybe he doesn't want it now after looking on this site seeing he's got no support.

Ask Sir Alex he can only say no!Im sure its painless.

Haven't you heard he has more pressing business as ambassador of his precious Manchester United. Jeez if he was boot boy at United he'd see it as more important than the Scotland job.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Haven't you heard he has more pressing business as ambassador of his precious Manchester United. Jeez if he was boot boy at United he'd see it as more important than the Scotland job.

Aye I know,but at least ask him,were criticising the knobends at the sfa for no ambition,this is what I mean its only one person saying no to you.

1 minute ago, BigLewy said:

Aye I know,but at least ask him,were criticising the knobends at the sfa for no ambition,this is what I mean its only one person saying no to you.

Well for sure his silence has been deafening in the media - that says it all. All he'd need do is say he wants the job and it would be his. He hasn't though and that tells us all we need to know. We have heard Paul Lambert, Alex McLeish, Walter Smith, John Hughes and Gary Caldwell all putting themselves forward for the job which has become a free for all in the media. Jack sh!t from Fergie. Sadly, that says it all.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Cool. We'll just ignore the 1 season in the EPL where he finished 2nd bottom then and focus on the lower league stuff 👍

6 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Cool. We'll just ignore the 1 season in the EPL where he finished 2nd bottom then and focus on the lower league stuff 👍

It is a regular occurence you know that clubs go back down after one season. And lets remember he had got them there plus don't overlook the fact that Norwich were well-positioned in 7th in the league the following season when he was sacked. I think it is very fair to say if you were to ask the fans of every club he has managed the fans would speak favourably of him.

4 minutes ago, Dogbiscuit said:

I thought Alex McLeish was a really lucky manager. Half the games he won with Scotland felt like we were riding our luck. I can't work out if this is a good attribute or not!

The tram picked itself back then which helped. Which makes the damage done by Burley even more unforgivable.