Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 57 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

I still don’t understand why Slaven Bilic is not being mentioned. Ex international and EPL manager with lots of experience who is available and I think would jump at the chance to manage Scotland

22 minutes ago, j b lyons said:

I still don’t understand why Slaven Bilic is not being mentioned. Ex international and EPL manager with lots of experience who is available and I think would jump at the chance to manage Scotland

Agree with this. Would have him in front of pretty much every other candidate mentioned in the press.

9 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

its going to be mcleish and thats fine, he had a great record with Scotland and all the clubs he managed in Scotland. thank f*** its not smith

McLeish is just as much of a dinosaur as good old Walter, two cheeks of the same arse.

No surprise that Smith has thrown his rattle out the pram. The whole thing had to be done at his pace or not at all.

As we all feared at the start, the inevitable Alex McLeish or Malky appointment draws ever closer.

The Scottish FA really needs a gutting. Embarrassingly bad recruitment process and nowhere near enough executive power. The committee and board system leads to woefully slow appointments.

Still they will be delighted as they aren't paying out a wage.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure what this has to do with Walter Smith but I'm happy to discuss Vogts. He was tasked with making the playoffs, he did that. Was it pretty, absolutely not. We were never going to win the group. You are also being disrespectful to Lithuania, they also managed a draw against Germany as we did.

I'm not seeing how WGS's campaign was better, can you please enlighten me?

I was agreeing with you about things looking better after the event. Like the wins against France .

Far from underestimating Lithuania I said we were lucky to beat them.  Also have said every time Vogts gets mentioned on here what was he supposed to do he never had any players 

Strachan had a decent end to the campaign and looks as good as anything available now. Easy with hindsight but if we had known no one wanted the job should we have got rid of him?

1 hour ago, j b lyons said:

Because he's said he's not interested and he'd get a better and higher paying job in club football?

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

For the record Alex McLeish didn't walk out on Scotland, his contract had expired so he had nothing to walk out on

Let's be clear though, he is an utterly atrocious football manager, whether he walked out on us or not should take second place to his sheer incompetence as a manager.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

McLeish is just as much of a dinosaur as good old Walter, two cheeks of the same arse.

He has the appearance of someone losing their marbles/memory any time I've heard him speak in the past year.

That probably makes him more suitable for the chief exec position.

Guest MorayCupMan

Would like to see Clarke get it but cannot see him leaving killie yet. I was/am not really that exited at the prospect of Smith or McLeish or malky. Would take gemmill over all them three to be honest.

Edited by MorayCupMan

I'm not sure how much influence the manager has, to be honest. If the players are pretty average then the team will be pretty average. Just give the job to Hughes, if he is prepared to do it for nothing, and use the money they have saved to reduce the price of the tickets.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure how much influence the manager has, to be honest. If the players are pretty average then the team will be pretty average. Just give the job to Hughes, if he is prepared to do it for nothing, and use the money they have saved to reduce the price of the tickets.

I have to disagree. Of course the manager has an influence. If that wasn't the case then why didn'y Man. United carry on dominating when Fergie retired. Moyes took over with the same set of players and United's dominance had gone.

Moyes........ Do you think the SFA are gonna match what a premier league manager gets paid ?.

Despite a lot of eejits illogical ravings over the last campaign there is only one man for the job and he is a mile ahead of anyone else out there. In a different league:-

• Someone who WANTS the job.
  • Passionate.
  • Loves and treats us the fans like heros (well us any time we've met him abroad).
  •  Who the players love and respect (unless they don't follow what the gaffer wants and are then rightly side-lined)
  • Puts Scotland and the long term ahead of anything else.
  • Isn't afraid to stand up to the SFA Blazers.
  • Doesn't kowtow to the press.

Why don't the blazers have (for the first time in their lives) the balls to say they made a mistake and beg Gordon to come back. Win or lose the guys given me more pride in the team than we've had since the qualifying days.

I really understand the passion and disappointment (I was there in Slovenia and too in Georgia (BTW I started to writing the cities but WTF I still cannae remember how to spell them) which prompted many to say we should get rid of Strachan but what about a bit of humility and intelligence in realising he's the best thing we've had (considering the players we have) we've had for years.

Lets unite as a forum and get him back !

Don't anyone kid you. Regan sacked him. He was going to go but was persuaded before the meeting by some of the best names in the game to stay. He them walked in to get his cards. See You Next Tuesday S.

For the first time in 50 years I was going to stop going to Scotland away games, Thankfully they got rid of the top of the hideous spot now we just need to get rid of the puss underneath ! 

Aye

Strachan MAY be the best we have available, and I have said before you have to believe that he has learned a few things over the past few years. Our last campaign was blown in the first 4 games, and he did seem to be yielding to his pride and picking most of the right players in the squad, but I cant see him being asked back nor could I see him accepting if he was offered.  

The euro16 campaign was blown in Dublin. His shitebaggery to go for the winner when we were well on top cost us, the less said about the Tbilisi debacle the better. Taking an attacker of for a defender in Dublin when they couldn't cope with us was beneath contempt. 

Not to mention his cuntbaggery in media conferences, in particular when he refused to answer questions sent in by the fans pre Lithuania at Hampden

We are well rid

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I was very critical of the SFA the way they prostituted themselves to Michael O' Neill.

As an NI fan, I'm not sure about the "prostituted" comment?

Anyhow, there is a lot to be said for identifying a target and going for him. But you should at least try and establish whether that candidate is amenable to the suggestion before going public.

I assume that the SFA did so - if nothing else, MO'N won't just have turned up for a chat and a cup of tea (or even a cup of whisky!) unless preliminary job specs etc were discussed. Yet it still eventually broke down, so the question must be why?

Today's IFA Press Conference where MO'N's new contract was formally confirmed offers a big clue.

For not just has he signed on as Manager for the next six years(!), but he has also been appointed "Chief Football Officer" in addition. Which fits in with everything we've learned about Michael to date. That is, he's not like your typical manager who'll just step from one job to another to satisfy his own, selfish, short-term needs (money, prestige, trophies etc).

Rather he thinks long term, and "outside the box" (sorry, I hate that phrase, too). So not only has he talked about persuading our veterans to stay on, but he's also talked about finding new players (in GB, I assume) who are eligible.

Best of all, he also eg name-checked a couple of 16 and 17 y.o.'s at EPL clubs whom he hopes to be capping before he goes, so he's clearly looking to the future, and with the full backing of the IFA.

I have no doubt he envisaged something similar for Scotland, only with a wider talent pool from which to draw. And if I had to guess, I'd say Regan was up for this, too, but simply couldn't persuade the other decision-makers and Blazers as well, chiefly one Malky Mackay.

Which really is Scotland's loss (imo), since after having taken the NI 1st XI to a new level, Michael clearly now intends to lift the whole set-up behind the scenes. And I really believe that if anyone can do so, he can, he's that good.

59 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The euro16 campaign was blown in Dublin. His shitebaggery to go for the winner when we were well on top cost us, the less said about the Tbilisi debacle the better. Taking an attacker of for a defender in Dublin when they couldn't cope with us was beneath contempt. 

Not to mention his cuntbaggery in media conferences, in particular when he refused to answer questions sent in by the fans pre Lithuania at Hampden

We are well rid

And not playing the thumb for 2 years.

3 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

Anyhow, there is a lot to be said for identifying a target and going for him. But you should at least try and establish whether that candidate is amenable to the suggestion before going public.

I assume that the SFA did so - if nothing else, MO'N won't just have turned up for a chat and a cup of tea (or even a cup of whisky!) unless preliminary job specs etc were discussed. Yet it still eventually broke down, so the question must be why?

Today's IFA Press Conference where MO'N's new contract was formally confirmed offers a big clue.

For not just has he signed on as Manager for the next six years(!), but he has also been appointed "Chief Football Officer" in addition. Which fits in with everything we've learned about Michael to date. That is, he's not like your typical manager who'll just step from one job to another to satisfy his own, selfish, short-term needs (money, prestige, trophies etc).

Rather he thinks long term, and "outside the box" (sorry, I hate that phrase, too). So not only has he talked about persuading our veterans to stay on, but he's also talked about finding new players (in GB, I assume) who are eligible.

Best of all, he also eg name-checked a couple of 16 and 17 y.o.'s at EPL clubs whom he hopes to be capping before he goes, so he's clearly looking to the future, and with the full backing of the IFA.

I have no doubt he envisaged something similar for Scotland, only with a wider talent pool from which to draw. And if I had to guess, I'd say Regan was up for this, too, but simply couldn't persuade the other decision-makers and Blazers as well, chiefly one Malky Mackay.

Which really is Scotland's loss (imo), since after having taken the NI 1st XI to a new level, Michael clearly now intends to lift the whole set-up behind the scenes. And I really believe that if anyone can do so, he can, he's that good.

Agree with all. Our backroom mafia would’ve been shitting it having to deal with someone who may be progressive. They are a shower of selfish bastards who are intent on destroying our once proud game.

3 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

Okay prostituting was the wrong term. 

They did a big no no in going out in the media and naming their preferred target who was already in a job. Shockingly bad move.

After Strachan's exit they should have announced they were open to applications for the job. That way if O'Neill was even remotely interested he could have applied like all others interested. Instead it has become an embarrassing free-for-all with every man and his dog coming out in the press to put themselves forward for the job. We would not have had that either as, if interested, they could have applied in the proper way not via local and national media outlets.

Shambolic. 

I am glad O'Neill made this decision as I only want someone in the job who truly wants it. And I would say he is wise to avoid jumping into an EPL or Championship job. Look at Chris Coleman now who jumped. I bet he is already deeply regretting it.

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

They did a big no no in going out in the media and naming their preferred target who was already in a job. Shockingly bad move.

The logical conclusion from that is either only approach people who are not already in a job, or hope that someone who's already employed will apply (of which see more below)

After Strachan's exit they should have announced they were open to applications for the job. That way if O'Neill was even remotely interested he could have applied like all others interested.

This isn't like recruiting shelf-stackers for ASDA (no disrespect to supermarket workers, btw). The fact is,  Michael undoubtedly was interested in "a" job, but not just any old job, such as previous Scottish managers have held (hardly successfully either, I would add). He wanted something where he could build for the future, from the grassroots up.

So that if the SFA had merely put an ad in the paper saying "National Team Manager Wanted", he and other potential candidates already in a job are put in a difficult position. If they apply, and it turns out that they're not what the SFA requires, then they've blown their cover and risk putting themselves in their present employer's bad books. (Ditto if they are the right candidate, but the job's not right for them).

Which is why you make overtures behind the scenes first. And in doing so, it greatly helps your chances of securing the candidate if he knows he's your No.1 choice (it's that "breaking cover" thing again).

Meanwhile, those initial overtures must have offered sufficient encouragement to Michael for him to prepare for, and attend, a serious interview, where he clearly created a good impression.

Yet still it eventually broke down. And with his turning down the offer, and Regan subsequently resigning, the obvious explanation is that ultimately Regan was unable to deliver the job which he had put to Michael in order for him to apply in the first place.

And in the circumstances, I would actually sympathise with Regan, for even if he has been exposed for being incompetent etc, is there any evidence that any Chief Exec could wrest sufficient power and authority from the hands of the Blazers and vested interests who appear to have been in charge of the SFA for years? (We've suffered the same at the IFA for decades, except that by a combination of Government intervention - reform, or be denied funding - and pure luck, we seem to have made a wee bit of progress)

I am glad O'Neill made this decision as I only want someone in the job who truly wants it.

And I would say he is wise to avoid jumping into an EPL or Championship job. Look at Chris Coleman now who jumped. I bet he is already deeply regretting it.

As I say, had the job been the one he wanted (and Regan originally held out?), he definitely would have wanted it - he's not the sort to waste his own time, never mind anyone else's.

As for other options, I believe Sunderland were very interested before Coleman, but Michael demurred, and WBA may have been sniffing around, too. But neither went anywhere, since he simply wasn't interested. Unlike the Scottish job.

Edited by AwayInAManger