Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 56 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

25 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Don't forget Graham Alexander and John Hughes. From that list I'd consider Clarke, McLeish, Smith and Mackay, in that order. The others just shouldn't be in consideration. 

That's about the order I'd take them in as well - at least from the names that have so far been linked with the job.

6 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Well I watched those games as a kid and them seemed to play well especially towards ends of games (superior fitness?) but time may have rosetinted my view in the fact no Scottish team including the national team has got anywhere near as close to such a level again.

However, this was the pinnacle of the European game and even if they were awful (not sure as strong as that) it was a remarkable achievement.

Still feel out of all the candidates mentioned, Walter Smith is by far the best manager.  All the others seem to be either very inexperienced or very average club managers. 

Remind me again how well he did at Everton when he couldn't buy the league.

32 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Don’t exaggerate how well we played in that game. 

Berti Vogts "ooh look we made the playoffs" was another overstated achievement.

We got the weakest group imaginable and still needed to beat Lithuania in the final game, and were lucky to do that.

The 1-0 play off game against Holland was the most one sided game I have ever seen at Hampden  and that includes us against Gibraltar.

Look at it close enough and you will start to think WGS's campaigns were the best since 2000. At least we were unlucky in the playoff then. 

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We got the weakest group imaginable and still needed to beat Lithuania in the final game, and were lucky to do that.

The 1-0 play off game against Holland was the most one sided game I have ever seen at Hampden  and that includes us against Gibraltar.

Look at it close enough and you will start to think WGS's campaigns were the best since 2000. At least we were unlucky in the playoff then. 

I miss the old days when we could beat Lithuania at home.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Walter Smith but I'm happy to discuss Vogts. He was tasked with making the playoffs, he did that. Was it pretty, absolutely not. We were never going to win the group. You are also being disrespectful to Lithuania, they also managed a draw against Germany as we did.

I'm not seeing how WGS's campaign was better, can you please enlighten me?

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Should've been about 3-0 to France at HT IIRC...

Thierry Henry had a goal disallowed at 0-0, iirc. 

To be honest, France humped us in both games - hardly surprising when you look at the players both teams had! 

That's probably a fair point. We were second seeds in that group too.

If we were drawn in the same group nowadays I wouldn't fancy us to finish second though.  Germany, Iceland, even the Faroes to an extent, have improved while we have stagnated. 

On a positive note Smith has stepped back, but in a WTF moment, John Hughes in the record today:

“I feel I deserve an interview for the Scotland job.

“I certainly deserve to be treated as a serious candidate. Why should John Hughes not get an interview?

“I want the job for the right reasons. I will do it for nothing. I am very patriotic.

I'm starting to wish we'd kept Strachan

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Thierry Henry had a goal disallowed at 0-0, iirc. 

To be honest, France humped us in both games - hardly surprising when you look at the players both teams had! 

That's probably a fair point. We were second seeds in that group too.

If we were drawn in the same group nowadays I wouldn't fancy us to finish second though.  Germany, Iceland, even the Faroes to an extent, have improved while we have stagnated. 

Henry, to the dismay of many, correctly identified Barry Ferguson as our best player.

23 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Are you insane.  Walter smith has no thought or vision???  He is one of the greatest Scottish managers of all time.  That's a fact.  Maybe only Stein and Ferguson are above him.

Nine titles in a row against first strong Hearts and Aberdeen sides then a rejuvenated celtic.  He took Rangers to within a goal of the Champions League final.  And no it doesn't matter it happened 25 years ago because the league champions from each country were much stronger then, rather than all the elite players being at just 10 clubs like now.

He was up against epl champs, won home and away, no vision!!!!   Up against a Marseille side that were probably the 2nd strongest side in the world behind Milan and found a way to compete with them.

The thing about football managers is if they are good they stay good, can anyone possibly think because Walter is in his 60's (not old these days) he doesn't still have a great football brain.

Couldn't beat Belarus but. 

37 minutes ago, slasher said:

Here's an idea. Why don't they invite applications for the job from people who actually want the fuckin thing!

I am baffled how we are in the position. 

Every day we seem to have another name being mentioned and the job refused by SFAs first choice, it seems like an absolute shambles to me.

Surely you invite people to apply, rather than trying to pinch folk from other jobs, then, interview those you are keen on, and draw up a shortlist, like most other industries do? 

I know it's not the most lucrative, or ambitious job on the planet, but someone, somewhere, must fancy the chance of taking this crop of players and being the one who got them to a tournament for the first time in 20 years?

Putting their cards on the table with the Michael O'Neill situation, would that put possible candidates off, feeling they were 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice? Probably not, as they are all in it for the money anyway, apart from John Hughes of course.

Just now, simonmk said:

I am baffled how we are in the position. 

Every day we seem to have another name being mentioned and the job refused by SFAs first choice, it seems like an absolute shambles to me.

Surely you invite people to apply, rather than trying to pinch folk from other jobs, then, interview those you are keen on, and draw up a shortlist, like most other industries do? 

I know it's not the most lucrative, or ambitious job on the planet, but someone, somewhere, must fancy the chance of taking this crop of players and being the one who got them to a tournament for the first time in 20 years?

Putting their cards on the table with the Michael O'Neill situation, would that put possible candidates off, feeling they were 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice? Probably not, as they are all in it for the money anyway, apart from John Hughes of course.

Absolutely spot on.

I was very critical of the SFA the way they prostituted themselves to Michael O' Neill. When Strachan left they should have issued a statement welcoming applications to the job with a cut-off point of a month. At the end of that month assess the applicants, narrow it down to those they feel are best qualified and invite them for an interview. From the interviews you take the best one. 

However, the shambolic SFA have turned it into a farcical process. It is like an excuse me dance with so many hurriedly stepping out of the way of the job in the national media devaluing the job in the process. That would not have happened had the followed correct procedures.