Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 52 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Funny that most of the people saying a definite no to Smith refer to him as ‘Wattie’, ‘Uncle Walter’, ‘Uncle Cardigan’ or make reference to huns. You lose a bit of credibility by doing that.

Personally, I think he’s now possibly too old for the job but he showed by getting a really poor Rangers team to a European final that he’s capable of getting success by organising and setting up a team.

I’d be more than happy with him working alongside a younger manager. Perhaps Clarke could work alongside him in a part-time role?

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are spouting horse crap. Allardyce was born in England, lived and worked all of his life in England, managed England and has the strongest Scouse accent to boot.

I do agree it's debatable how Scottish big Sam considers himself, but being born and bred in Dudley he's certainly not a Scouser!

27 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Does anyone have a link to Smith’s results as our manager? I don’t recall It being that fantastic or I’m I imagining that? 

16 Games....  7 won, 5 drawn and 4 defeats.

Not a bad record, as you have the victory over France and the draw with Italy propping that up, which makes it look impressive.... plus you have a 6-1 home victory against the Fareos and the Kirin Cup.

But in that you have two VERY bad games against Belarus (did we even have a shot on target in either match?).

So while not bad, its not fantastic......

38 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Does anyone have a link to Smith’s results as our manager? I don’t recall It being that fantastic or I’m I imagining that? 

Playing for a draw away to Belarus was suicide. If it had still been Wee Berti in charge for that game and he deployed they same tactics the press would have wanted him hung, drawn and quartered but because it was Smudger it was fair fucks and they lapped it up

The less said about the return game at Hampden the better. A goal down after a few minutes and then never looked like trying to find a way back into it

Edited by DoonTheSlope

33 minutes ago, kumnio said:

On this thread...

Wattie mentioned once in support.

Uncle mentioned once

huns mentioned once

Im guessing youre an oppressed Rangers fan?

You guess wrong then Kevin.

I didn’t mention this thread but a quick look back a couple of pages also throws up Wally Smith, Walter and Walterosaurus :lol:

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The most successful manager in Scotland in the last 20 years. It’s hardly an outrage. 

not exactly a great endorsement, he had an open cheque book and hardly any challengers for the titles he won. 

I've always viewed him as overrated. He'd make us hard to beat but Strachan already did that over the last year. 

No thanks and if this is the extent of the Blazer brigade's ambition, they can shove their SSC up their arse

Walter Smith certainly would not be my first choice for the job given his length of time out of the game and his style of play. However when measured against the possibility of racist Malky or a totally unprepared Scot Gemmill getting it, it's not the worst.

The worry is we seem to have gone from wanting to make a big appointment to making an easy one. I would be more comfortable if the Scottish FA also spoke to Bilic, Clarke and a wild card like Prandelli or Bielsa rather than settling for Smith. If Smith then emerges as the best candidate from there then fair enough. It all seems a bit rushed to be going for one person.

If Smith does get appointed then we must have younger assistants in with him to learn the ropes and take over when he heads into the sunset. What Strachan and McGhee did with Docherty and Davidson in 2017 was a sensible idea and Smith doing that with two assistants would be welcome.

He inherited Graeme Souness' team which the basis was built on the back of English teams being banned from European competition. Those players wouldn't have given a move to Scotland a second thought if teams down south weren't excluded from European football 

He was given as said above an open cheque book where for every fiver Celtc spent he was allowed to spend a tenner. There was little to no challenge early-mid-nineties, even Motherwell and Alex Millers Hibs were splitting the old firm furfuxake 

He was then given a challenge by Celtc and he failed to deliver the ten in a row.

He then went to Everton and his stats there speak for themselves, utterly pathetic record

Came back up the road a couple of years after being found out and done a decent job for the national team. Decent result away to Norway and off course the French result at Hampden but these were countered by some abject performances particularly the two Belarus games

First opportunity he had he left and went to Rangers where he drew his way to Manchester. EBT EBT EBT EBT 

An overrated manager who just got lucky

Having said all that if he gets the gig he'll get my support but he certainly isn't my choice

Edited by DoonTheSlope

24 minutes ago, Bobster said:

You guess wrong then Kevin.

I didn’t mention this thread but a quick look back a couple of pages also throws up Wally Smith, Walter and Walterosaurus :lol:

What’s wrong with calling him Walter?

i only searches for names you called him, the dinosaur one is quite good though. 

Smith has not managed for 7 years. He left half-way through a campaign, and he's 70 at the end of the month. 

I'd be looking at someone like Jack Ross ahead of Walter Smith. 

The likes of Keith Jackson are utterly embarrassing and show up our print media, opinions like his make us look like the parochial, insular, backwater that we are moving away from as a nation.

Does he actually want the job? I'm sure I read a few times he disliked the job because of the such small time he had available with the players eg the players shooting straight back to their clubs straight away  and the small period before where am sure I read he though it wasn't enough time to spend with players.I'd be somewhat confused if became manager again.

23 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Smith has not managed for 7 years. He left half-way through a campaign, and he's 70 at the end of the month. 

The first would be problematic for club football - not International management and certainly not a Scottish International manager

The second and third are immaterial to whether he could do the job

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

The first would be problematic for club football - not International management and certainly not a Scottish International manager

The second and third are immaterial to whether he could do the job

Maybe he could do a job, or do a decent-ish job like Strachan - who ended up inevitably failing at the final hurdle in both campaigns.

We've failed to qualify for 20 years with experienced managers. Le'ts try something different.

1 minute ago, weekevie04 said:

We've failed to qualify for 20 years with experienced managers. Le'ts try something different.

There is no guarantee with that either - Paul Le Guen,  Ronny Deila and Ian Cathro being obvious examples