Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 51 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

Not unless he makes it known he'd be interested. Personally, I think he wants to stay in club football, but I'd happily take him.

Is making it known to the press/social media I am interested enough? I want them to actually apply personally and if they applied, we may not know about it unless James Comey was involved and leaked it to the press. 

17 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

We weren’t a million miles away from reaching the playoffs under Strachan. Unlucky not to have won against England, and we were the only team to score in Slovenia. It was the Lithuania home game and Slovakia away that ruined it.

Lithuania away we looked a real top international side. It was a great Scotland performance and I’d hate to not see that for a few years because our manager wasn’t capable. We know what’s possible under Strachan and I for one would be willing to gift him one more go at this.

I can’t see a better candidate than him at the moment.

Luckily you’re not in charge at the SFA then. 

3 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Steve Clarke won Prem Lge twice with Chelsea plus several cups. So yes he has.

And again how do u define Scottish English or whatever? Fact is Allaydyce has two Scottish parents, four Scottish grandparents. So qualified to play for Scotland six times over. Zero English blood in his body (and his siblings could ONLY have played for Scotland). But i wouldnt want him as manager....

You are spouting horse crap. Allardyce was born in England, lived and worked all of his life in England, managed England and has the strongest Scouse accent to boot. And even when he was unemployed and the Scotland job came up for grabs he didn't want it. I think thst speaks volumes.

47 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are spouting horse crap. Allardyce was born in England, lived and worked all of his life in England, managed England and has the strongest Scouse accent to boot. And even when he was unemployed and the Scotland job came up for grabs he didn't want it. I think thst speaks volumes.

You are being remarkably, and pointlessly, tenacious about this. What has either his accent or not throwing his hat into the ring for the Scotland job got to do with it? Plenty of Scots on here without an approved accent, and plenty of Scottish managers who would rather hold out for a high-paying league gig if there were a likelihood of one.

I can only assume it's because your original post on Allardyce showed that you had no idea about his family background but for some reason you're unwilling to admit that you weren't aware of this ...

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:38 AM, tartanmartin said:

Still 3. Allardyce is Scottish, don't forget. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:25 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

What have you been smoking? Allardyce is as Scottish as the Dalai Lama.

Now, it should be obvious to even the most fervent Caledonian Buddhist that Allardyce is considerably more Scottish than His Serene Holiness, and yet you persist in denying the fact. Having a Scottish family doesn't necessarily mean that he sees himself as Scottish (although it would be unlikely that he didn't acknowledge it as part of his identity), but in terms of his eligibility that isn't the point. Were Scotland a passport-issuing independent nation, Allardyce would be handed one without a murmur.

The thing is, neither you nor anyone else can make a judgement on what nationality someone identifies as. In terms of personal identity, nationality is a state of mind, informed by numerous factors. Humans being human however, we don't live in a homogenous, global utopia so more or less arbitrary rules are imposed, and by almost any of those standards, Allardyce is a Scot, whether he self-identifies as such or not.

On a separate issue, I know Buckielugger meant the phrase in a totally harmless sense but 'Scottish blood', or indeed blood of any nationality, is a metaphor that we should consign to the dustbin of history, imho.

Edited by DonnyTJS

9 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Got to love the media. On Sunday we have the Sunday Mail crying out for progressiveness by way of a Scottish Football Federation. 24 hours later we have Keith Jackson trumpeting an absolute dinosaur for the job.

We honestly deserve all we get as being pilloried as a football laughing stock if we are touting the likes of him and McLeish as serious candidates.

Correct - we've got clowns in the support advocating it too!

Deserve all the failure we get.

15 minutes ago, bisland boy said:

Surely the SFA have to appoint a chief exec first then let them get on with appointing the manager. Just let Malky Mackay do the two March friendlies if they can’t get anything sorted before then

Surely he just advises and the blazered committee say yes?

That said the SFA are resembling another organisation who appointed a boss before their was a CEO in place and that ended well....similarities much? 

I can very easily see this happening......

Is McRae not one of Alex Ferguson inner circle of Scottish friends since the early 1980's, so will have been on friendly terms with guys like Knox, McLean and naturally Smith..... so no doubt its someone he would turn to.

Someone at the SFA clearly wants Scot Gemmill, but nobody feels the time is right, so bring in Smith and let Gemmill work along side him for 2/3 years before taking over.......

Can not say I am happy about Smith being linked with the job.... walking away aside, the football under Smith a good amount of the time was terrible...... for every France and Norway, there was Belarus (TWICE!!!!) and Ukraine away...even Moldova at Hampden we made for to heavy a work on.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I can very easily see this happening......

Is McRae not one of Alex Ferguson inner circle of Scottish friends since the early 1980's, so will have been on friendly terms with guys like Knox, McLean and naturally Smith..... so no doubt its someone he would turn to.

Someone at the SFA clearly wants Scot Gemmill, but nobody feels the time is right, so bring in Smith and let Gemmill work along side him for 2/3 years before taking over.......

Can not say I am happy about Smith being linked with the job.... walking away aside, the football under Smith a good amount of the time was terrible...... for every France and Norway, there was Belarus (TWICE!!!!) and Ukraine away...even Moldova at Hampden we made for to heavy a work on.

Seems like a desparate hurry to get it done before any new chief executive comes in and sticks their neb into it as well.

I think Smith and Gemmill would be very smart, Smith has an impeccable record as a manager and gave us some amazing results and performances the last time he was in charge. 

Wouldn't have an issue with Clarke either tbh. 

8 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

You are being remarkably, and pointlessly, tenacious about this. What has either his accent or not throwing his hat into the ring for the Scotland job got to do with it? Plenty of Scots on here without an approved accent, and plenty of Scottish managers who would rather hold out for a high-paying league gig if there were a likelihood of one.

I can only assume it's because your original post on Allardyce showed that you had no idea about his family background but for some reason you're unwilling to admit that you weren't aware of this ...

Now, it should be obvious to even the most fervent Caledonian Buddhist that Allardyce is considerably more Scottish than His Serene Holiness, and yet you persist in denying the fact. Having a Scottish family doesn't necessarily mean that he sees himself as Scottish (although it would be unlikely that he didn't acknowledge it as part of his identity), but in terms of his eligibility that isn't the point. Were Scotland a passport-issuing independent nation, Allardyce would be handed one without a murmur.

The thing is, neither you nor anyone else can make a judgement on what nationality someone identifies as. In terms of personal identity, nationality is a state of mind, informed by numerous factors. Humans being human however, we don't live in a homogenous, global utopia so more or less arbitrary rules are imposed, and by almost any of those standards, Allardyce is a Scot, whether he self-identifies as such or not.

On a separate issue, I know Buckielugger meant the phrase in a totally harmless sense but 'Scottish blood', or indeed blood of any nationality, is a metaphor that we should consign to the dustbin of history, imho.

I have presented my evidence on how English Allardyce but let me re-iterate. He was born in England and worked and lived his entire life in England, managed England and  in 50+ years he has been on this Earth I find no evidence that he has ever spent an extended stay in Scotland in his life even though Scotland is so geographically close to England. Buckielugger clings to him having Scottish parents - whopeedoo. Donald Trump has a Scottish mother and quite probably has spent more time in Scotland than Sam but I certainly don't see him as Scottish. 

Take it from me - home is where the heart is. If you feel affinity to a certain country ANYWHERE in the world you will go out of your way to spend time there or if you moved away you will move back if you feel strongly enough. I know I have been there and know of many others who are the same. There is no evidence whatsoever that Sam has this affinity or desire. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

47 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have presented my evidence on how English Allardyce but let me re-iterate. He was born in England and worked and lived his entire life in England, managed England and  in 50+ years he has been on this Earth I find no evidence that he has ever spent an extended stay in Scotland in his life even though Scotland is so geographically close to England. Buckielugger clings to him having Scottish parents - whopeedoo. Donald Trump has a Scottish mother and quite probably has spent more time in Scotland than Sam but I certainly don't see him as Scottish. 

Take it from me - home is where the heart is. If you feel affinity to a certain country ANYWHERE in the world you will go out of your way to spend time there or if you moved away you will move back if you feel strongly enough. I know I have been there and know of many others who are the same. There is no evidence whatsoever that Sam has this affinity or desire. 

You've evidently never had the exhilarating experience of reading a Big Ramy 1314 post.