Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 47 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

21 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Giggs got the Welsh job, and what experience has he had ? Caldwell probably wont get the job, but can't knock him for trying.

Difference is that Giggs garners huge respect from the players because of his record ("show us your medals") while Caldwell will be looked down on by our EPL players probably.

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Difference is that Giggs garners huge respect from the players because of his record ("show us your medals") while Caldwell will be looked down on by our EPL players probably.

I'd suggest Caldwell has more trophies than most of our squad. 

Brown and Fletcher probably have more, not sure many others would. 

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Presumably the appointment of a new manager is at a standstill until we get a replacement for Regan?

I saw some reports to suggest that can't be expected before the March friendlies and potentially also the South America trip, which would be disappointing.

We cannot go into the summer with turmoil in the SFA Exec and with no management team. It would certainly write off any Nations League chances at least.

We need a new SFA Chief Exec time to settle in and appoint the manager they want, and working in a structure which they envisage. Them appointing just any Manager in a rush could end up writing off the next 4 years.

We need stability and that might come from (re)appointing a Manger who already knows the SFA ropes.

21 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

We cannot go into the summer with turmoil in the SFA Exec and with no management team. It would certainly write off any Nations League chances at least.

We need a new SFA Chief Exec time to settle in and appoint the manager they want, and working in a structure which they envisage. Them appointing just any Manager in a rush could end up writing off the next 4 years.

We need stability and that might come from (re)appointing a Manger who already knows the SFA ropes.

so are you....

a. Suggesting the return of Strachan?

or 

b. The promotion of Gemmill?

or

c. making Malky Mackay Manager?

On 29/01/2018 at 7:13 PM, jamboman said:

Steve Clarke - got west brom to their highest ever premier league finish. They have really improved since then have they not???

Jim Duffy - has never let teams with very mediocre player down, knows they scottish game very well, and lets not forget everyone was screaming at strachan for not living in scotland and knowing the scottish game, picking players from scotland and so on

Other candidates:

Eck - remind me the last time he was not fired from a team, oh aye when he walked out on us. Who is left that "knows the scottish game"??? Levein??

Not daft comments at all!! 

Yeh perhaps I was a little harsh, Steve clarke is a decent option tbf, he's done well at killie so far.

1 hour ago, fringo said:

I suggested Clarke 2 years ago and again more recently before he got the Killie job.

Missed opportunity by the SFA.

Do it end of season if needs be.

Nations league doesn't start until September after all.

Would Caldwell have done as well if he'd been appointed Kilmarnock manager in September, I very much doubt it. 

18 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Do it end of season if needs be.

Nations league doesn't start until September after all.

I'd get him in now part time until end of season so he can a feel for it.

Killie were excellent today and from what I have seen - Tapadh leat Sportscene, mostly - they have looked very good and well drilled under Clarke. 

His managerial stats are a bit patchy though in general - lost more games than won at his two English clubs - but certainly doing very well at Kilmarnock. 

On 30/01/2018 at 9:43 PM, DonnyTJS said:

That would certainly be true of Phil Bardsley. I seem to remember you were rather keen on seeing him in a Scotland shirt and Allardyce is far more 'Scottish' than him.

Of course Allardyce is Scottish!

As said already his blood is 100% Scottish. Not his fault his dad moved south for work. And he visits Scotland a lot I've read, its where all his family are.

That said, defo Steve Clarke for me (and he has won 2 Premier Lgs and multiple cups in his managerial career btw)

14 hours ago, todd said:

Based on current information and potential candidates  (with everything set back to neutral) there is only one winner.  GORDON F###ING STRACHAN! 

todd is right. Strachan is our man and has always been our man. 

Strachan is a passionate Scotland supporter plus he has more relevant experience for the job than any of the other candidates. He’s the outstanding candidate by an absolute mile!

Bring in Leeann Dempster (being a Hibby I’d be a wee bit gutted, but country always trumps club) and then she should nail 2 things right down straight off the bat-

Secure Hampden

&

Bring Strachan back

On 03/02/2018 at 10:55 AM, waysider said:

so are you....

a. Suggesting the return of Strachan?

or 

b. The promotion of Gemmill?

or

c. making Malky Mackay Manager?

Out the three, (a) would be the best option in the current circumstances.

(c) would be an immediate stopgap for the friendlies coming up  - but I don't want him as permanent manager.

(b) shouldn't even be considered.

Steve Clarke could be a good shout if we can't get Strachan back or we can't entice a high calibre foreign manager.