Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 45 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Sam Allardyce is several stone overweight, has a heart problem, drinks pints of wine and was distinctly average at playing football - of course he's f*cking Scottish!

I wouldn't have minded him as manager either, not that he was ever a serious contender.  For some strange reason I think he might have done quite well for us.

As I recall it people were bumping their gums as to why Bardsley was overlooked. My theory was that it was no loss and I am confident he has opted out of selection anyway. Why? Well we have not heard a peep from him about his non-selection anywhere. No complaints or nudge nudge 'Select me' comments which for me says a lot.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You must do your homework more. That was three years ago. I suggest you try more up to date posts from a few weeks/months ago. You will find opinions change with time.

The point is, Craig (and I'm not getting at you - it's a general point about nationality, international football, and the knots into which some people tie themselves) that it's not about quality - the discussion was about Allardyce after all.

You were saying that Allardyce wasn't a suitable manager for Scotland as he's not Scottish. When someone helpfully pointed out that he arguably is, you whipped out the 'Elvis' analogy. This happens to be far more closely analogous to Bardsley than to Allardyce, so I pointed out that nationality hadn't bothered you a few years back when Bardsley was the best option for the national team, despite his Scottish credentials being based on his gran visiting Scotland on holiday and being so overwhelmed by the scenery, the haggis and the quaint local customs that she immediately went into labour and gave the world Phil's dad - an all-but-forgotten family anecdote until Phil's CV jogged his memory. 

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

The point is, Craig (and I'm not getting at you - it's a general point about nationality, international football, and the knots into which some people tie themselves) that it's not about quality - the discussion was about Allardyce after all.

You were saying that Allardyce wasn't a suitable manager for Scotland as he's not Scottish. When someone helpfully pointed out that he arguably is, you whipped out the 'Elvis' analogy. This happens to be far more closely analogous to Bardsley than to Allardyce, so I pointed out that nationality hadn't bothered you a few years back when Bardsley was the best option for the national team, despite his Scottish credentials being based on his gran visiting Scotland on holiday and being so overwhelmed by the scenery, the haggis and the quaint local customs that she immediately went into labour and gave the world Phil's dad - an all-but-forgotten family anecdote until Phil's CV jogged his memory. 

But you were misconstruing me. I am not ruling out Allardyce because he is not Scottish or even because he is English as I have commented many times before I do not think he is good enough - simple as that. Harry Redknapp yes I would certainly consider but not Sam.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just saying....... that Bardsley has spent more time in Scotland than Allardyce? What's your point caller?:wacko:

I was just saying (needlessly as it turned out as I'd misunderstood CC's point in my rush to get in my Bardsley reference) that a closer analogy to Elvis's famed Scottish credentials, based on his brief stopover at Prestwick, was Phil's gran's inability to sprog on the appointed day. Given Fat Sam's Scottish family, I'd assume he's spent plenty of time over your way.

49 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm born in England, brought up in England, chose to represent England, played his whole career and managed his whole career in England..Eh...no tartanmartin. Even if he were as Scottish as they come I wouldn't want him near the Scotland job as he is not good enough for the job.

Agree not good enough for the job and was sacked for corruption. No brainer

1 hour ago, tartanmartin said:

I also want him nowhere near the Scotland job but owing to all his family being Scottish I'm accepting of the fact that he also is.

We've capped plenty players with lesser credentials.

Leave it out eh? Not sure what you are trying to prove? What part of this don't you understand:-

Born in England

Raised in England

Played entirely in England

Represented England

Managed entirely in England

Managed  England

And lived in England all of his life.

He is English through and throufh and proud of it.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Leave it out eh? Not sure what you are trying to prove? What part of this don't you understand:-

Born in England

Raised in England

Represented England

Managed  England

Thinks it's only fair that we wait for him to be mature enough to change his mind.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Born in England

Raised in England

Represented England

Managed  England

Not trying to prove anything. Just stating facts.

By the way, he played in three countries, never played for England ergo never represented them. I'm not trying to fall out here. Just pointing out that he's born to two Scottish parents which makes him Scottish.

7 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

Not trying to prove anything. Just stating facts.

By the way, he played in three countries, never played for England ergo never represented them. I'm not trying to fall out here. Just pointing out that he's born to two Scottish parents which makes him Scottish.

I would accept your argument if he were A. Born in Scotland B. Had any true affinity with Scotland in his life which quite clearly he hasn't. The fact is he has lived entirely in England and worked all of his life in England.

If he had a semblance of Scottishness in him he would surely have had some connection physically with the country but he has not.

Edited by Caledonian Craig