Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 37 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

I don't care what nationality the next manager is, but i would like someone who lives in scotland.  So they actually watch and know scottish football.  We need to get the youngsters playing, not eng championship and middling epl players.  Cost us in the last campaign.  They have no winning attitude down there, I guess its the huge paychecks.

14 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

I had after 20+ years in the STC/SSC decided that was enough a while back then Budapest was announced. After today, no chance. 

Complete clear out required.

Kinda thinking the same myself. It's starting to bridge on farcical. 

8 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I don't care what nationality the next manager is, but i would like someone who lives in scotland.  So they actually watch and know scottish football.  We need to get the youngsters playing, not eng championship and middling epl players.  Cost us in the last campaign.  They have no winning attitude down there, I guess its the huge paychecks.

I think that's a clichéd solution. I don't believe that some of the aforementioned players we had playing were up to the mark of getting us to a tournament nor do I believe that all of them were the problem. Indeed a lot of the arguments for and against most of them could be argued as incidental.

Some will stay some will go. We should be open minded about how similar (or different) the next squads will be from Strachan. Of course he was guilty of staying loyal to his pals but a club mentality in a national team is not a bad thing either. Swings in roundabouts.

5 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I think that's a clichéd solution. I don't believe that some of the aforementioned players we had playing were up to the mark of getting us to a tournament nor do I believe that all of them were the problem. Indeed a lot of the arguments for and against most of them could be argued as incidental.

Some will stay some will go. We should be open minded about how similar (or different) the next squads will be from Strachan. Of course he was guilty of staying loyal to his pals but a club mentality in a national team is not a bad thing either. Swings in roundabouts.

I wasn't intending to mean ditch all of the last group of older players.  My point was strachan was selecting players from the eng leagues who were not in much form but recieved large pay checks.  He rarely was up here watching spl scot cup games.  Thus, griffiths is in the form of his life but wasn't picked.  Want to avoid this situation.  That's why i was for mon, because he seemed to enjoy the scottish game and understand who was playing in which system and in form.

21 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I wasn't intending to mean ditch all of the last group of older players.  My point was strachan was selecting players from the eng leagues who were not in much form but recieved large pay checks.  He rarely was up here watching spl scot cup games.  Thus, griffiths is in the form of his life but wasn't picked.  Want to avoid this situation.  That's why i was for mon, because he seemed to enjoy the scottish game and understand who was playing in which system and in form.

:ok:

You’re too sensible for this place. 

As I have said numerous times, we need a foreign manager so I am quite happy O'Neill hasn't taken it.

However I dont believe for one second that this will lead to the SFA actually seeking out a suitable foreign candidate, although I will cling onto that slim hope until reality bites and Malky McKay is appointed just in time for Easter.

Edited by Mox

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Maybe that Clarke has managed big ego players at Chelsea and WBA?

That's a good point, we have had some utter helmets in our squads with egos far outweighing their talent over the last 10 plus years. Has to be someone with authority and respect. 

Was pretty annoyed last night to find I couldnt get time off work to go back to Budapest however this news has made it less disappointing . They really are a bunch of incompetent freeloaders.

Despite having reservations that it would go pearshaped I deep down thought they couldn't mess it up at this stage. Which makes me worse than them.   

What, exactly, has Stewart Regan (or 'Lurch' Doncaster, for that matter) achieved while in post? How have they made Scottish football better? In any way?

I don't blame O'Neill - it's not 'Why didn't he come?' because I always wondered why should he? Are Scotland such a step up from the current NI scene? His tenure there has been good for Scottish football in giving players in a variety of Scottish clubs an international profile and even the chance to play in tournaments. No, the blame is with the SFA and their incompetent head-hunt.

They have to now invite applications. It's the only way to avoid head-hunting someone who know's he wasn't the first choice. And who might also turn the job down.

Though I fear the first CV in the post will be Eck's. He must be gutted that Moyes and Lambert have managed to get aff the broo but he's still there touting himself for every job that comes up.

Shambolic.

The fact he was the first choice tells the story. Applications should have been sought and go from there and I’d bet better candidates than MON would have arrived. I’m happy that he’s not been appointed but also petrified as to who they will appoint as they fill us with absolutely no confidence.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fuck off. Scotland can do one. 

Do you seriously think Killie will hold on to Clarke in the long term?

Would you rather lose him to Scotland now or Rangers or an English team at the end of the season?

I personally can’t see it happening though. It will be McLeish if his plans at Charlton go tits up.