Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 32 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

MON would be a positive choice for Scotland manager. He plays in form players and that is something that WGS was guilty of in 2015 and 2016, which cost us two campaigns.

MON might have a patchier record against the big teams however he got the job done on both occasions, only being outdone by a disgraceful refereeing decision and some bad luck upfront of goal.

Strachan brought us back to a more respectable level but couldn't the job done. We need someone to get the job done. I feel like MON would be the man to do it.

Im not against him getting the job, but its hardly exciting.

I hope, but know that Im wrong, that the SFA wont just jump into bed with the first person they speak to, it was a done deal with Strachan, he seemed to be confirmed before they even spoke with him, and it looks the same again.

It looks to me as though they are putting all their eggs in the one basket. If this goes pearshaped I hope they have a decent plan B, which is doubtful at best.

However they cant now say the money isnt there , if they are willing to pay the compensation for MO. 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It looks to me as though they are putting all their eggs in the one basket. If this goes pearshaped I hope they have a decent plan B, which is doubtful at best.

However they cant now say the money isnt there , if they are willing to pay the compensation for MO. 

Let’s hope they are not planning to up the membership cost or tickets to pay it.

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I do not think it's niave to assume that with O'Neill living in Edinburgh that some kind of (private) talks have probably already taken place (hence why a lot of the media are talking like this is all but a done deal).

Suppose things will move pretty fast this week now.

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I do not think it's niave to assume that with O'Neill living in Edinburgh that some kind of (private) talks have probably already taken place (hence why a lot of the media are talking like this is all but a done deal).

That is very true. However its not over till the Fat Lady Sings, and she might no be singing Flower of Scotland. 

57 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think that the talk about O'Neill wanting his future sorting out but the end of the month was probably done on purpose, to get the SFA moving with an agreement for compo. He's obviously interested, otherwise he could have had his future sorted already by signing the Northern Irish deal

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

19 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think that the talk about O'Neill wanting his future sorting out but the end of the month was probably done on purpose, to get the SFA moving with an agreement for compo. He's obviously interested, otherwise he could have had his future sorted already by signing the Northern Irish deal

That is also very true. But he may just be holding off for the highest bidder,  which may not be us. 

I tend to think it will happen, but given the SFA’s track record I am not holding my breath. 

48 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

That's very true also (apparently the IFA deal has been on the table since November, so he has had many chances to sign it) so just a case of waiting for SFA to make his move.

interestingly, my "on this day" feature on Facebook was bringing up that it was 5 years ago today that reports that Strachan was set to be appointed first started.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Spot on....deal done in my opinion

Encouraging to see and in my opinion is the best conventional candidate for the position. I would be quite keen to see how he sets us up to play as he had NI playing very defensively.

He could have easily came out right away and said he didn't want the job so in my opinion deal done also. Let's get ready for the Nations League draw in 10 days

21 hours ago, scotsgary1 said:

Spot on....deal done in my opinion

Yep, its only really the Record which is trying to twist things with their "O'Neill will be the one interviewing the SFA" story, which is effectively saying the same as everyone else, but turning it on its head slightly to have a dig at the SFA.

Liam Henderson signing for Bari. Not for one minute suggesting he should be getting called up anytime soon but we want a manager who going to keep tabs on Scottish players playing abroad and who doesn't play players due to over inflated transfer fees

Barry Douglas should have been given a chance while playing at the top end off the Polish and Turkish leagues, instead they have huddies from the English championship and League 1 call ups 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

59 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Barry Douglas should have been given a chance while playing at the top end off the Polish and Turkish leagues, 

He really, really shouldn't have. Also, 9th out of 18 teams in Turkey isn't really "the top end" IMO. 

Edited by Parklife

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Media reporting Regan and O'Neill will finally have face to face talks today over O'Neill taking on the Scotland job.

Bad news. Regan must be the least inspiring man on the planet. 

6 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

BBC reporting the talks "On Thursday" from an article written today.

Stupid question but do they mean today or next Thursday? Just want put out my misery on this saga to be fair.

Today (that is what everyone else is reporting)