Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 31 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Don’t see the fascination with him.  Just looked at his record and lost more games than he won with NI.

Yes, but he's won the games that matter and was cheated out of the last one. We can  lose a few friendlies if he gets us to a finals.

Edited by Third Lanark

Ive been thinking this over and feeling a bit conflicted, looking at the win percentage alone its confusing but looking at the accomplishment with a small pool of players then it makes total sense. Its the epitome of our boss saying "I dont care how you do it(win percentage), just get it done". I know I am contradicting myself on commwnts made elsewhere but this could be an ideal appointment with lower risk than a foreign coach who doesnt know the pool of players. A coach relies on his staff and connections perhaps to help build that pool but not to form a good team. If he gets the job I am behind him 100%

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Ive been thinking this over and feeling a bit conflicted, looking at the win percentage alone its confusing but looking at the accomplishment with a small pool of players then it makes total sense. Its the epitome of our boss saying "I dont care how you do it(win percentage), just get it done". I know I am contradicting myself on commwnts made elsewhere but this could be an ideal appointment with lower risk than a foreign coach who doesnt know the pool of players. A coach relies on his staff and connections perhaps to help build that pool but not to form a good team. If he gets the job I am behind him 100%

he didn't win for 17 games or something at the start

anywhere else would have been sacked but as n Ireland were at rock bottom they stuck with him

and all then started to click

he has that experience in the bank now so win percentage doesn't really convey the manager he is today, I think

5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I think Northern Ireland got two lucky groups where teams seriously underperformed and it makes his record look better than it is. When does a top speed like Greece ever finish bottom like they did for Euro 16? 

Personally, I am underwhelmed by Michael O'Neil. 

Mick you would have to consider our last two groups as entirely achievable. Not that we havent had tough groups in the last 20 years, I wrote another thread on that but someone meeting our goals within reasonable parameters is what we have lacked.

Edited by romanticscot

Why are people talking about his first 17-18 games in charge 6 years ago? N Ireland were crap and obviously had to be rebuilt from scratch. We are in a far better position and we should be looking at his recent results which are 12 wins and 4 defeats from last 20 competitive games. People can talk about who the opposition were in some of those games but there are few easy games at international level anymore, we have plenty of proof of that. Bottom line is he got it done, qualified for the Euros and was very close to the World cup. We've not been close in 15 yrs.

17 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Why are people talking about his first 17-18 games in charge 6 years ago? N Ireland were crap and obviously had to be rebuilt from scratch. We are in a far better position and we should be looking at his recent results which are 12 wins and 4 defeats from last 20 competitive games. People can talk about who the opposition were in some of those games but there are few easy games at international level anymore, we have plenty of proof of that. Bottom line is he got it done, qualified for the Euros and was very close to the World cup. We've not been close in 15 yrs.

Spot on. Especially the first 2 sentences.

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

That's the perspective people need to take when looking at his NI record.

Be interesting to see what his record is from match 19 onwards.

I will be interested to see if he selects players from the lower leagues that look like they merit it such as Liam Lindsay (Barsnley) and Barry Douglas (Wolves). Remember he has been starved of a vast array of top flight choices for Northern Ireland. He'll have more top flight options for Scotland so will he OD on them and overlook some that will be worth a look?

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I will be interested to see if he selects players from the lower leagues that look like they merit it such as Liam Lindsay (Barsnley) and Barry Douglas (Wolves). Remember he has been starved of a vast array of top flight choices for Northern Ireland. He'll have more top flight options for Scotland so will he OD on them and overlook some that will be worth a look?

Barry Douglas was playing in the Europa league group stage and Turkish superliga last year and already merited a squad place

29 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Picking the best 11 would be a good start, something Strachan constantly struggled with 

But ask fans what the best 11 is and I will bet you anything it does not match up to most manager's best 11. One group have largely no experience in hands-on management with footballers and are blinded by loyalties whilst managers have been involved in the sport generally for the whole of their working lives.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

But ask fans what the best 11 is and I will bet you anything it does not match up to most manager's best 11. One group have largely no experience in hands-on management with footballers and are blinded by loyalties whilst managers have been involved in the sport generally for the whole of their working lives.

I understand that, of course there’s a subjective element to this but hopefully O’Neil can get the best out of a decent squad, something Strahan failed at by sticking with the wrong players for too many games IMO 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I understand that, of course there’s a subjective element to this but hopefully O’Neil can get the best out of a decent squad, something Strahan failed at by sticking with the wrong players for too many games IMO 

Think he will and why not .....brought NI from nothing and had no experience with there squad previously..

Great appointment x

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think we need an influx of new players. Look at the untried players out there such as Lindsay, Cooper, Douglas, McRorie, Bates and such-like and punt a few of the hangers on who are past their sell-by date.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think we need an influx of new players. Look at the untried players out there such as Lindsay, Cooper, Douglas, McRorie, Bates and such-like and punt a few of the hangers on who are past their sell-by date.

There’s a handful of players I hope we don’t ever call up again so chance for some new faces at the very least.