Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 30 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

personally i cant see any scottish candidate that would do significantly better then Strachen, i think we have to go down the foreign route (which i dont see any problem with) and look for a manager who has improved a nation who are at a similar level to us. And for that reason for me it has to be Lars Lagerback 

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Steve Clarke maybe?

Seems to so wonders with what he has and has the ability to work with players of a higher reputation than any Scotland player.  Would get the respect I think is most important for a Scotland manager.

He's going to Ibrox in the summer

3 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Steve Clarke maybe?

Seems to so wonders with what he has and has the ability to work with players of a higher reputation than any Scotland player.  Would get the respect I think is most important for a Scotland manager.

GTF he's staying in Ayrshire ;) 

On 08/01/2018 at 4:53 PM, N4Footsoldier said:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15812786.SFA_set_to_approach_other_candidates_for_the_Scotland_manager__39_s_job_if_the_price_isn__39_t_right_for_Michael_O__39_Neill/

SFA Source describing Michael O'Neill's situation as "in the balance" can be termed as optimistic at best.

For me - McLeish is always too passive dishing out quotes like "come and get me" or "I'd be happy to talk". We need someone with a bit of gumption to apply themselves rather than sitting by a phone and stirring media speculation every time the Scotland or Rangers job is going spare.

Paul Lambert - some might say safe some might say uninspiring - former player turned manager who has several years of up and down success managing in England would appear to be the most likely choice.

Others such as Prandelli or Billic would be outside the box appointments, the type of appointment which would surprise everyone I reckon if the SFA were to pull off.

That said although I have had countless complaints about the SFA and the concept that they seem to be marketing over football as long as the gravy train keep running, since I care enough to emphatically hope that they get it right eventually, this is why I have to renew my membership. However I do understand this type of comment won't inspire the cynics or the weary sufferers of the National Team to do the same!

On 08/01/2018 at 5:47 PM, weekevie04 said:

You've got a point - he seems to shite the big games.

I'm going by the SFA standards. I am all for a foreign coach, but need to be realistic with the SFA in charge.

It'll be McLeish's again by March. ;)

Watch Aberdeen most home games and that is a big issue with McInnes, he's too conservative in big games and ultimately that does him. Not good enough tactically for international football.

Fail to see many Scottish candidates that would inspire me.

For me, it is important to get a manager that puts defensive strength and results ahead of style. Too often under WGS, at key moments, we conceded stupidly soft goals. Michael O'Neill fits that profile at least but I am beginning to worry about the Scottish FA's approach for him.

Billic and Prandelli are worth considering and interviewing if interested.

54 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Wee move back towards O'Neil with the bookies over last 24 hours. Doubt if it would take much money to go from 2/1 to 4/7 but at least there is a wee bit of hope. Personally he is the only candidate that offers anything more than Strachan did.

and yet we're still f*cking about hoping to save a couple of months wages

16 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

On sky sports this morning that it will be a 4 year deal , to be made the highest paid manager in Scottish history and includes a bonus for reaching a major finals 

Don’t see the fascination with him.  Just looked at his record and lost more games than he won with NI.

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Don’t see the fascination with him.  Just looked at his record and lost more games than he won with NI.

I was going to post the very same message, i appreciate it sounds strange considering as he got to euro 2016 and 2018 playoffs and just lost to a very good swiss side which are fantastic achievements and very impressive. But i have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that he's not as a good as lots of people make out and perhaps a little bit lucky.

• First 18 games with NI had 1 win, in those 18 games drew with Luxembourg,  Azerbaijan, Malta & lost to Luxembourg,  Azerbaijan
  • Euro 2016 qualifiers - was a very poor group compared to ours we had Germany, Poland and ROI they had Greece as top seeds that were so bad finished last in the group and Romania and Hungry that between then had no true world class players. I honestly think that Strachen would have qualified from that group.  Against Romania and Hungry they drew 2 lost 1 and won 1 so not great record against the top 2 who were poor teams
  • At Euro 2016 they played 4 games lost 3 and only beat Ukraine who lost all 3 games and weren't a great team and finished 3rd in their 2018 qualification group 
  • WC 2018 qualification got 2nd place which is good however not the strongest group and not a great record against the top teams

For me O'Neil benefited greatly from a very easy qualification group to Euro 2016 and the fact at the tournament itself for the first time ever 3 teams qualified for the knockout stage if it was any normal tournament they would have been out at the group stages as they finished 3rd of 4. On face value the last 4 years with NI looks good however scratch a bit more and it isnt as impressive as it first looks.

However if he got the job wouldnt be angry and would certainly back him. 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

I was going to post the very same message, i appreciate it sounds strange considering as he got to euro 2016 and 2018 playoffs and just lost to a very good swiss side which are fantastic achievements and very impressive. But i have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that he's not as a good as lots of people make out and perhaps a little bit lucky.

• First 18 games with NI had 1 win, in those 18 games drew with Luxembourg,  Azerbaijan, Malta & lost to Luxembourg,  Azerbaijan
  • Euro 2016 qualifiers - was a very poor group compared to ours we had Germany, Poland and ROI they had Greece as top seeds that were so bad finished last in the group and Romania and Hungry that between then had no true world class players. I honestly think that Strachen would have qualified from that group.  Against Romania and Hungry they drew 2 lost 1 and won 1 so not great record against the top 2 who were poor teams
  • At Euro 2016 they played 4 games lost 3 and only beat Ukraine who lost all 3 games and weren't a great team and finished 3rd in their 2018 qualification group 
  • WC 2018 qualification got 2nd place which is good however not the strongest group and not a great record against the top teams

For me O'Neil benefited greatly from a very easy qualification group to Euro 2016 and the fact at the tournament itself for the first time ever 3 teams qualified for the knockout stage if it was any normal tournament they would have been out at the group stages as they finished 3rd of 4. On face value the last 4 years with NI looks good however scratch a bit more and it isnt as impressive as it first looks.

However if he got the job wouldnt be angry and would certainly back him. 

We’ve had similarly “weak” qualification groups in the near past and failed. 

One thing I’d say O’Neil definitely achieved was getting the best and then some out of the players available, if he can do that for us then qualifying for the euros is possible. 

He’ll need to go beyond that to get us to a World Cup.