Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

On 12/24/2017 at 2:56 AM, Brummie Hibs said:

It better no be that GJP. 

I’m going to assume that means Ginger Judas Prick? 

I’ve never understood why we, as Scots take the pish out of someone who has got one of the most iconic features a Scot can have. 

Seems clear that SFA want someone on the cheap.

The fact they have not spoken to O Neill despite declaring him as their No 1 target over a month ago says they have heard how much he'll cost with compensation etc and that has put them off.

I would say then that it looks certaon we will get a manager who is currently out of work.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Seems clear that SFA want someone on the cheap.

The fact they have not spoken to O Neill despite declaring him as their No 1 target over a month ago says they have heard how much he'll cost with compensation etc and that has put them off.

I would say then that it looks certaon we will get a manager who is currently out of work.

I think O'Neill is Regans choice, but not the SFA boards choice (or they do not want to stump up the £500k to get him out of his NI contract).

My gut feeling is we will still get O'Neill but just a case of what the terms and conditions are (I can see the SFA offering a sweetener to the IFA of a NI v Scotland game at the end of the season with 3,000-5,000 Scots coming across, and the Irish keeping the gate money or something) but if we have no movement within first 2 weeks of 2018, then I hope the SFA do the wise thing and hold interviews with interested candidates, rather than put a list together of the usual bottom of the barrel suspects, then pick by placing a dart into the "lucky winners" name.

O'neill is my choice but if we dont get him. we need to go scottish, or british at least.

I would personally go for mcinnes based on how his players play for him. i know aberdeen fans wont like that. Otherwise, lambert of mcleish.  Even tommy wright is an option. I would not be happy with an Italian.

But the whole situation stinks on why we can talk to michael o'neill. reminds me of rangers and their board, which thinking about it is the most depressing thing of all 

We just need to make a move so he can scout out players!!!!

I just don’t get this “has to be Scottish” thing at all.

Looking at the Scottish managers in the game at the moment, frankly none of them excite me.

McLeish - already proven that he’ll up sticks at the sniff of a better offer should he even be marginally successful. And whether or not he’d even be successful is a big doubt. His track record of late is poor to say the least. I’d say he’s far more likely to fail than succeed.

McInnes - I think one day he could be the man but not now. Still has a lot to learn and I’d worry about his ability to lead the team in crunch games against similar or better opposition.

Lambert - Not good enough. Did well at Colchester and Norwich but it’s been a downward spiral for a number of years now.

Neil - Just watch a rerun of Cardiff v Preston last night. Long ball hatchet merchants. Dreadful to watch. No thanks.

Moyes - just taken the West Ham job so no chance but again he’s struggled lately although seems to be doing ok so far in East London.  Maybe if he can rediscover a bit of success he might be one for another day?

Strachan - Ironically would probably be favourite if it wasn’t him being replaced. Were we too hasty getting shot of him? Is it a case of be careful what you wish for?

Any others - no other names spring to mind really, and any I can think of are in no way equipped to manage our national team.

Lets not be under any illusion. There aren’t any Scottish managers out there right now who are capable and would fit the bill.

I get the impression the SFA want someone currently not working. That thought fills me with dread.

We should go foreign and go big. Prandelli or Bilic would be my choice. Would they take it? By all reports Prandelli would be interested not so sure about Bilic though, but Christ it’s got to be worth making an approach surely?

We have to get this appointment right and we can’t be appointing someone because the price is right or just because they’re Scottish. Nor because “it would suit me nicely”...

39 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I just don’t get this “has to be Scottish” thing at all.

Looking at the Scottish managers in the game at the moment, frankly none of them excite me.

McLeish - already proven that he’ll up sticks at the sniff of a better offer should he even be marginally successful. And whether or not he’d even be successful is a big doubt. His track record of late is poor to say the least. I’d say he’s far more likely to fail than succeed.

McInnes - I think one day he could be the man but not now. Still has a lot to learn and I’d worry about his ability to lead the team in crunch games against similar or better opposition.

Lambert - Not good enough. Did well at Colchester and Norwich but it’s been a downward spiral for a number of years now.

Neil - Just watch a rerun of Cardiff v Preston last night. Long ball hatchet merchants. Dreadful to watch. No thanks.

Moyes - just taken the West Ham job so no chance but again he’s struggled lately although seems to be doing ok so far in East London.  Maybe if he can rediscover a bit of success he might be one for another day?

Strachan - Ironically would probably be favourite if it wasn’t him being replaced. Were we too hasty getting shot of him? Is it a case of be careful what you wish for?

Any others - no other names spring to mind really, and any I can think of are in no way equipped to manage our national team.

Lets not be under any illusion. There aren’t any Scottish managers out there right now who are capable and would fit the bill.

I get the impression the SFA want someone currently not working. That thought fills me with dread.

We should go foreign and go big. Prandelli or Bilic would be my choice. Would they take it? By all reports Prandelli would be interested not so sure about Bilic though, but Christ it’s got to be worth making an approach surely?

We have to get this appointment right and we can’t be appointing someone because the price is right or just because they’re Scottish. Nor because “it would suit me nicely”...

Good post Davey. Agree with all except the part about Strachan. It was absolutely right he should’ve gone. I even think it was way too late that he got punted. 

15 minutes ago, scotsgary1 said:

All,

Why is it everytime F@@kING about..

They a respected international football country one of the oldest...

And they can not decide on a manager or where they are going to play there home games...

SHAMEFUL 

:blink:

Seems the utter incompetence and amateurism of the SFA has finally come home to roost.

Look at what the Irish have lined up and the clarity they have shown in letting O’Neill know exactly how much they want him to stay, what plans they have and time he will get to see them through. Now compare and contrast to the total shambles, lack of plans and complete lack of any cohesion or professionalism demonstrated by the SFA and it’s virtually impossible now to see O’Neill swapping Northern Ireland for us. Why the hell would he even consider it?

It would appear highly likely we’ll now end up with Lambert or, worse still, McLeish.  No decent manager with any modicum of a reputation to protect is going to touch us with a bargepole given the (lack of) actions of the SFA since they sacked Strachan.

The question of whether Strachan should have been sacked or not will always be a polarising one, but what cannot be argued is that they pulled the trigger with virtually no clue what they were going to do next. That was criminal and showed a complete abdication of responsibility and dereliction of duty.

Where are we now then? Three months down the line and no further forward, in fact we’re actually further back with O’Neill having gone from hot favourite to being highly unlikely now to be appointed.

The sad fact is I’m not sure I’d want any manager crazy enough to accept the job to actually be given it.

It is now time for these cretins at the SFA to hand back their blazers and get as far away from our game as possible before they completely destroy it beyond any hope of repair (if they haven’t already).

I’m utterly disgusted.

Out of the realistic SFA options - lots of Scottish duds ; O'Neill or McInnes. And if that report is correct that O'Neill will stay with Northern Ireland then we should look at McInnes but given his loyalty to Aberdeen he might well end up rejecting us too.

If it's between the likes of McLeish, Davies etc , I'd keep McKay in the post until the next competitive games. Thought we did well in the Dutch friendly and he refreshingly talks up our game, players unlike some others. Yes, a very chequered past, but surely he's gone through a contemplation/redemption period. 

The SFA are utterly honking though. Even if some of us did their hard work and sent them a list of available international managers who are without a club/nation; they still wouldn't interview or know what to do e.g take Levein over Lagerback.

DaveyDenoon that is a great post.

The SFA is run by marketing men rather than football men so they view every action in terms of money. This needs to change. We have gone backwards under Regan's tenure and we should be looking for his head on a stick.

Michael O'Neill has never been my top pick but as soon as the SFA made him their first choice they should have secured him. They are now potentially left looking like the amateurs that they are. We approach the Nation's League draw on 24 January without a manager in place. We have no fixtures lined up and appear rudderless with Regan at the helm.

His discomfort about the true cost of leasing Hampden also risks us becoming homeless due to his (in)actions.

Get him out. Get Morten Olsen in. Or Slaven Bilic. Someone at the SFA needs to show leadership but none of them will as they are just stuffed blazers.