Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

16 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I thought the GTFITW was Celtic ?

If you really think that only happens in Scotland then you are blinkered

Football is Tribal

Real life isnt anymore

It was actually the greatest display in the world during the last twelve months but that's another argument all together

Off course it happens all over the world but the way large parts of the TA would have you believe that we are whiter than white while shouting about "English bastards" etc at the same time

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Another reason you would think why they wont appoint a manager not au fait with the Scottish game because they would realistically need that time to get accustomed with the players at his disposal

Not really, IMO. He wouldn't need to be "au fait" with the Scottish game at present. Any decent manager, from any part of the globe, who has applied for, or is interested in, the job will be studying any video footage of Scottish players that he can lay his hands on. A good manager will know all the strengths and weaknesses of our current crop of players, before he gets interviewed. If he doesn't ,he shouldn't get the job. Mind you, this is the SFA we are talking about here.:lol:

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It was actually the greatest display in the world during the last twelve months but that's another argument all together

Off course it happens all over the world but the way large parts of the TA would have you believe that we are whiter than white while shouting about "English bastards" etc at the same time

Don’t talk pish. We’ve as much idiots as the next country, but by and large Scottish fans are held in decent regard around the world. Some people seem embarrassed by this though. 

10 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Don’t talk pish. We’ve as much idiots as the next country, but by and large Scottish fans are held in decent regard around the world. Some people seem embarrassed by this though. 

For the hard of thinking I think you'll find I said we do have idiots in our support

It seems some on here haven't or more than likely don't want to accept this with this greatest fans in the world pish, which is probably claimed by every support

Edited by DoonTheSlope

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You've missed out the most obvious reason. To save money. Why splash out on a fat salary for somebody, who will have next to fuk all to do for about 6 months? April/May would be the most cost effective time for them to appoint a new manager.

Also thought this might be a big factor in the delay, the SFA saving money on a salary. Why give the new man as much time as possible to prepare the team/play friendlies/look at players,etc, when you can save on a few months salary? The SFA way.

Someone else mentioned the SFA's 'thought process', I just hope there is one.... 

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You've missed out the most obvious reason. To save money. Why splash out on a fat salary for somebody, who will have next to fuk all to do for about 6 months? April/May would be the most cost effective time for them to appoint a new manager.

I'm pretty sure I remember the same debates on this board after Levein was sacked and yet Strachan was employed only a few months after Levein was gone.

15 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

I'm pretty sure I remember the same debates on this board after Levein was sacked and yet Strachan was employed only a few months after Levein was gone.

There was only five months between competitive games that time, and even then Strachan was only appointed about 2 months before we played Wales in our next qualifier. This time there are 11 months between competitive games.

So the reality is, if we go for someone Scottish and want domestic honors - Alex McLeish is the only name who has done anything, but hasn't done anything since 2011 so his recent accomplishments and experience are actually negatives.  Billy Davies has more recent experience done far far less at a club level and unemployed for over 3 years.  Lambert won promotion twice, and was recently employed - hardly worth mentioning if it were not for the other two work history. 

MON - signed a 4 year contract, their loss to the Swiss was painful but they made the playoffs , hardly worth quitting over.  

To get MON, or someone with recent domestic experience - the SFA need to spend the money to buy out someone from their contract or wait until becomes available.  If they are going to spend some money, no-one currently employed is going to say come and get me so if they buy out MON, is he the best man for the job?  

To get anyone with any European honors, they need to go further afield. I am of the opinion that domestic triumphs may not translate into international success, I may risk criticism but if McLeish is in the a good frame of mind and hungry to do well, I think he would be my choice and I would be happy with his appointment.  His 70% win percentage will take a knock, not expecting that kind of form though. 

Edited by romanticscot

On 12/11/2017 at 6:10 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

For the hard of thinking I think you'll find I said we do have idiots in our support

It seems some on here haven't or more than likely don't want to accept this with this greatest fans in the world pish, which is probably claimed by every support

We do have a fantastic support in terms of numbers, particularly at away games and we tend not to cause too much trouble apart from pissing in the street and littering. 

Greatest fans in the world is a bold claim though. Like you say, probably every support thinks they’re the best.

My away trips have shown me that we have some absolute roasters in our ranks that shouldn’t be allowed out of their houses never mind at football games abroad. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We do have a fantastic support in terms of numbers, particularly at away games and we tend not to cause too much trouble apart from pissing in the street and littering. 

Greatest fans in the world is a bold claim though. Like you say, probably every support thinks they’re the best.

My away trips have shown me that we have some absolute roasters in our ranks that shouldn’t be allowed out of their houses never mind at football games abroad. 

We used to be the greatest fans in the world as I would say we were the first to travel on mass and add some colour to away games. Plenty other countries do it now though.

• 2 weeks later...

For those pitiful souls yearning for Fat Sam he is showing himself in true colours really. He ruled himself out of the Scotland (thank god) saying he preferred a job in club management. This week though he ruled himself out of the Everton job saying he'd prefer a job in international management. Eejit.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For those pitiful souls yearning for Fat Sam he is showing himself in true colours really. He ruled himself out of the Scotland (thank god) saying he preferred a job in club management. This week though he ruled himself out of the Everton job saying he'd prefer a job in international management. Eejit.

Watch out! Craig's physching himself up for a massive wobbler on his favourite topic again!

On 12/11/2017 at 6:10 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

I would differentiate between a support that has a load of drunken nonsense, and one which has a violent casual/hooligan thing.

Marcelo Bielsa about to be punted by Lille. 

Too expensive? Probably. 
Would he be interested? Probably not. 
Should the SFA be at least trying to speak to him? Most definitely. 

On 25/11/2017 at 2:23 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

And he’s named the Everton manager. 

STV reporting that we have to pay £500k compensation before we can talk to Michael so IFA must think he will take it otherwise why would they ask us to pay the compensation before we talk to him?

Anyway, I see the odds for Cesare Prandelli have gone up to 16/1 putting him 5th favourite :).