Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

14 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

...well, maybe the SFA & EFA could come to a gentlemans agreement about it- I won't do your ex if you don't do mine.

Sorted!

Just like the gentlemans agreements years ago where the directors and other big dicks agreed they wouldn't employ those kafflicks

It seems we still have a long way to go

A Scotland for all eh 🙄

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

We should be hiring the best person for the job regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender or religion

So much for this progressive inclusive Scotland we keep hearing about 

Your first point is correct - however when it comes to the SFA the criteria that will go before all of these is how much it will cost

Your second point as a comparison is laughable in this context but not a surprising statement going by your previous political interjections 

9 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Just like the gentlemans agreements years ago where the directors and other big dicks agreed they wouldn't employ those kafflicks

It seems we still have a long way to go

A Scotland for all eh 🙄

Again - agenda much ?

Scotland has already had an English assistant manager not to mention numerous English members of SFA staff

News just in - International and indeed club football rivalries are not a reflection on society 

Scotland has arguably produced some of the World's greatest managers - none of which have been employed by England unless you want to count John Gorman

Why do you think that is ?

17 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I see you've failed to mention he has a 100% win rate with England at international level. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your agenda

:spin::spin::spin::spin:

Whoopee doo...one game?? And sacked for crooked dealings. Now back to the facts of his pathetic record as a club manager. If he was so good how come he hasn't been anywhere near any of the big clubs in England who regularly challenge for titles? And whilst we are at it he doesn't want it anyway and yet you are grovelling at his feet? Sad.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Your first point is correct - however when it comes to the SFA the criteria that will go before all of these is how much it will cost

Your second point as a comparison is laughable in this context but not a surprising statement going by your previous political interjections 

Again - agenda much ?

Scotland has already had an English assistant manager not to mention numerous English members of SFA staff

News just in - International and indeed club football rivalries are not a reflection on society 

Scotland has arguably produced some of the World's greatest managers - none of which have been employed by England unless you want to count John Gorman

I don't mind keeping the tradition of the Auld Enemy going for a wee while longer.

After all it's just a friendly local rivalry!

It's fantastic entertainment/drama with deep historical roots and is a very appealing part our footballing DNA.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Whoopee doo...one game?? And sacked for crooked dealings. Now back to the facts of his pathetic record as a club manager. If he was so good how come he hasn't been anywhere near any of the big clubs in England who regularly challenge for titles? And whilst we are at it he doesn't want it anyway and yet you are grovelling at his feet? Sad.

It's pretty clear he was taking the piss you daftie! Try not getting so stressed chief, it could be the making of you.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Again - agenda much ?

First point; Off course it's down to cost. However the SFA shouldn't dismiss someone of a high calibre who is willing to work for the salary on offer due to their nationality which is what Dizzy was implying

Second point; My bad, I should have stated that I was referring to organisations in general within Scottish society. You are correct in that their has been many English born players, coaches and admin staff. Yet still we hear from certain quarters that they should not be employed by the SFA. Why do I think what is? Why England haven't employed a Scottish manager? They did approach Alex Ferguson twice

The greatest fans in the world? Aye right! In numbers maybe considering what we are served up. You only had to be at Parkhead and Hampden for the Eire and Poland games respectively to hear the bile and vitriol directed towards opposing fans who were in the home ends

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh dear

🎣

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The greatest fans in the world? Aye right! In numbers maybe considering what we are served up. You only had to be at Parkhead and Hampden for the Eire and Poland games respectively to hear the bile and vitriol directed towards opposing fans who were in the home ends

I thought the GTFITW was Celtic ?

If you really think that only happens in Scotland then you are blinkered

Football is Tribal

Real life isnt anymore

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, Third Lanark said:

Thought bookies' favourite was Michael ON; surely will be if NI don't get past play-off.

I can't see O'Neill taking it

if he has half a brain he'll take up the bottom end of premier league or top of championship job offers that will surely come his way

not that we are after him but same with that Coleman bell end

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

I can't see O'Neill taking it

if he has half a brain he'll take up the bottom end of premier league or top of championship job offers that will surely come his way

not that we are after him but same with that Coleman bell end

I agree that O’Neill won’t take the Scotland job if offered. Jimmy Nicholl has already stated this in an interview and I’m guessing he’s probably basing this on something O’Neill has said rather than just his opinion. Why open his mouth otherwise?

As for Coleman, bellend might be a bit harsh but he’d have zero interest in taking the Scotland job I think. Wouldn’t want him either. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree that O’Neill won’t take the Scotland job if offered. Jimmy Nicholl has already stated this in an interview and I’m guessing he’s probably basing this on something O’Neill has said rather than just his opinion. Why open his mouth otherwise?

As for Coleman, bellend might be a bit harsh but he’d have zero interest in taking the Scotland job I think. Wouldn’t want him either. 

so McLeish it is

or Lambert, who was good at Norwich

I am thinking what is the thought process at the SFA for waiting so long before making a decision? I can only come up with two logical reasons for it.

One reason being they are waiting to see if Northern Ireland don't qualify then try to coax Michael O'Neill. The other reason being they are actually throwing their net further afield into Europe this time around so need more time to assess candidates.

I mean surely if they were going purely down the Scottish route the new manager would be well-known to them and a decision would be able to be made quite quickly.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am thinking what is the thought process at the SFA for waiting so long before making a decision? I can only come up with two logical reasons for it.

One reason being they are waiting to see if Northern Ireland don't qualify then try to coax Michael O'Neill. The other reason being they are actually throwing their net further afield into Europe this time around so need more time to assess candidates.

I mean surely if they were going purely down the Scottish route the new manager would be well-known to them and a decision would be able to be made quite quickly.

14 minutes ago, Bino's said:

so McLeish it is

or Lambert, who was good at Norwich

If McLeish was the SFA’s first choice then he’d have been appointed already I think. 

If we do end up with him then it will be because we couldn’t get anyone better. 

The SFA are rightly taking their time I feel. There is no rush to appoint a new manager and there is no harm in weighing up all the options.

Having said that, getting someone in place before next March is a must. 

If it's a choice between McLeish or Lambert, I'd keep Malky in  the role. Those two would probably pick the same old players and favour Championship dross over the SPL ones.

McKay has a chequered past with those tweets; and whilst it was pretty much a B side on Thursday, we played actually pretty decent stuff for most of the game. McKay's post match interview was refreshingly different too for a change, and he has a point to prove.

Let's see what happens tonight with NI and if they don't qualify, and go for Michael O'Neill. We should be scanning the globe for available and interested, decent managers before the likes of Eck are even considered.

Look abroad as well, but if we are left with McKay, McLeish and Lambert - I'd take Malky out of those three.

19 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

If it's a choice between McLeish or Lambert, I'd keep Malky in  the role. Those two would probably pick the same old players and favour Championship dross over the SPL ones.

McKay has a chequered past with those tweets; and whilst it was pretty much a B side on Thursday, we played actually pretty decent stuff for most of the game. McKay's post match interview was refreshingly different too for a change, and he has a point to prove.

Let's see what happens tonight with NI and if they don't qualify, and go for Michael O'Neill. We should be scanning the globe for available and interested, decent managers before the likes of Eck are even considered.

Look abroad as well, but if we are left with McKay, McLeish and Lambert - I'd take Malky out of those three.

I’d take McLeish over MacKay for reasons too numerous to mention. 

It doesn’t really matter though as the SFA have already confirmed that MacKay will not be getting the job anyway. I can’t see them changing their mind about that. 

We are really narrowing our options - Mcleish or lambert. Granted I’m going on one sport scene interview alone, but I wouldn’t give mcleish a job in a tea room let alone as international manager. He sounded done in, out of touch and desperate. He’s been out of work for a while and sounded far from capable of picking up the ball again. So lambert it would have to be. Uninspired and uninspiring, but I do think he’s capable.

What I’m really hoping for is something similar to the killie appointment of Steve Clarke. A wholly unexpected and ambitious appointment, well above the (low) expectations of the suppprters. I want the SFA to exceed all of our expectations with the big investment needed to couple our relatively talented squad and deliver success over the next ten years. Which sounds mad, but that’s what I want.

44 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

His post match comments? He thought Jack was 'immense'! He thought Phillips held the ball up well! If that's his judgement, then I really fear the worst. And championship 'dross' versus the SPL which sees all its teams go out of Europe before the first round proper?

29 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We are really narrowing our options - Mcleish or lambert. Granted I’m going on one sport scene interview alone, but I wouldn’t give mcleish a job in a tea room let alone as international manager. He sounded done in, out of touch and desperate. He’s been out of work for a while and sounded far from capable of picking up the ball again. So lambert it would have to be. Uninspired and uninspiring, but I do think he’s capable.

What I’m really hoping for is something similar to the killie appointment of Steve Clarke. A wholly unexpected and ambitious appointment, well above the (low) expectations of the suppprters. I want the SFA to exceed all of our expectations with the big investment needed to couple our relatively talented squad and deliver success over the next ten years. Which sounds mad, but that’s what I want.

It’s hardly as simple as that though is it? I doubt the SFA have been inundated with applications from the type of candidate you are looking for. 

They will need to appoint someone from the people that apply or are interested should the SFA make an approach. 

I think McLeish or Lambert (or most of the people linked with the position) could do a decent job for us simply because the Scotland job is not rocket science at the moment.  

You pick a decent couple of coaches, pick players who are playing regularly for their clubs and who are in form, use the Scots at Celtic as the backbone of your team, don’t start Phillips up front (or preferably at all), don’t be afraid to make changes if your first line up/formation isn’t working and play players in their strongest positions. 

OK so I’m simplifying things a bit but you get what I mean. A trained monkey could do most of the job.  

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You've missed out the most obvious reason. To save money. Why splash out on a fat salary for somebody, who will have next to fuk all to do for about 6 months? April/May would be the most cost effective time for them to appoint a new manager.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You've missed out the most obvious reason. To save money. Why splash out on a fat salary for somebody, who will have next to fuk all to do for about 6 months? April/May would be the most cost effective time for them to appoint a new manager.

Good point although surely they’ll be looking to have someone in place by March as we will have at least one friendly then?

Edited by Texas Pete

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Another reason you would think why they wont appoint a manager not au fait with the Scottish game because they would realistically need that time to get accustomed with the players at his disposal