Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Sorry Craig but saying that he has a poor managerial record post Bolton is plain mad. He has a proven record of getting the best out of limited resources time and time again (Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Crystal Palace). He did an interview on Talksport this morning and, although he sounded a little bit cagey, he did talk positively about the job as well. Both his parents are Scottish and he's got a msssive point to prove against England. I reckon he could be persuaded. I accept he's not everyone's cup of tea but I reckon he could improve our results, especially away from home.

Edited by breeks_mctavish

15 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Sorry Craig but saying that he has a poor managerial record post Bolton is plain mad. He has a proven record of getting the best out of limited resources time and time again (Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Crystal Palace). He did an interview on Talksport this morning and, although he sounded a little bit cagey, he did talk positively about the job as well. Both his parents are Scottish and he's got a msssive point to prove against England. I reckon he could be persuaded. I accept he's not everyone's cup of tea but I reckon he could improve our results, especially away from home.

Sorry I strongly disagree.

Anything under 40% of wins in matches for a manager is poor. The only club that Allardyce has left with over 40% of matches won is Blackpool and Bolton and that was over a decade ago now. He has failed to break through that 40% barrier at Notts County, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland and now Crystal Palace. Add to that the bloke has shit sticking to him from past indiscretion AND that he doesn't want the job (thank god). NO THANKS

i have read your argument Craig. However, I still disagree. You have stated that below 40% win rate is unacceptable as if it is fact. I think you need to bring context into this. Yes, a 40% win rate for Man U would be poor. If you are brought into a side struggling against relegation, not necessarily so. Allardyce was thought of highly enough to be awarded England manager job and it wasn't considered a bad appointment by most. He was sacked, yes but for much more innocuous charges than out current caretaker. And, I may be wrong, but based upon the most recent interview he wasn't categorically ruling himself out. I recognise you will not favour his appointment and that's fine. You may well be right and I wrong. However I reserve my right to disagree with your reasoning.

After last night, key interview question should be "will you continue with the current crop of younger players"? If not, thanks but no thanks.

Why would we go back to playing the likes of McArthur, Fletcher, Bannon, Anya, etc. We should be filling up the friendly fixtures and getting these young lads more experience. There's a handful of players who didnt get an opportunity and deserve it, and there are one or two last night who can play better but should be kept involved.

It wasn't great by any stretch but I'd sooner watch those boys last night than some of the guff we've watched over the last two years. Most optimistic I've been about Scottish players in a long time.

Need to crack on finding someone who wants to help these young boys mature into international players.

4 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

After last night, key interview question should be "will you continue with the current crop of younger players"? If not, thanks but no thanks.

Why would we go back to playing the likes of McArthur, Fletcher, Bannon, Anya, etc. We should be filling up the friendly fixtures and getting these young lads more experience. There's a handful of players who didnt get an opportunity and deserve it, and there are one or two last night who can play better but should be kept involved.

It wasn't great by any stretch but I'd sooner watch those boys last night than some of the guff we've watched over the last two years. Most optimistic I've been about Scottish players in a long time.

Need to crack on finding someone who wants to help these young boys mature into international players.

Well, I agree with McArthur and Fletcher, but..

Bannan is probably the next best player we have in the number 10 spot that Armstrong currently occupies. Cairney might push ahead of him once he's fit again, with Snoddy and McGregor as the other notable mentions. If weuse him there he'll be effective. If we use him (as we have done) in a deep lying role, hoping he'll turn into Pirlo, then we'll be disappointed. He should certainly be in the next manager's mind tho.

As for Anya, he is still able to make a contribution, he showed that against Slovakia. Last night Jack showed virtually no attacking intent and we do need fullbacks who are able to offer that. If we're playing lesser opposition, where Anya's defensive abilities will not be so tested, and if Paterson is not available, then I see no reason why we wouldn't pick Anya to overlap from right back. His pace is also still a useful tool and he can fill in in various positions, which makes him a useful guy to have around.

If I was naming a squad right now a competitive fixture, Anya and Bannan would both be in it.

Something like:
Gordon, Archer, McGregor
Paterson, Anya, Tierney, Douglas, Mulgrew, Lindsey, Berra, Cooper
Brown, McDonald, Cairney, McGinn, Armstrong, Bannan, Fraser, Christie, Robertson, McKay
Griffiths, Rhodes, McBurnie

In terms of a replacement, maybe we'll find out more later in the week once, Northern Ireland and Holland are both without managers.

Edited by andyD

Fair points. Dont agree entirely but you're right, Bannan will probably still be involved on merit. Don't really buy into the hype on Anya, hence my comments.

In general though, I see this being an opportunity to bring in a new generation of internationalists where no preference should be given to any of the existing squad members. But aye, I like the look of your squad - would have no problems with it. Just needs the right manager to bring them on.

On 09/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, breeks_mctavish said:

Get Big Sam!

No thanks. I don’t really fancy England’s sloppy seconds. 

If England deemed his actions as a sackable offence then he’s not a fit and proper person as far as the Scotland job is concerned in my opinion. 

On 09/11/2017 at 7:17 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry I strongly disagree.

Anything under 40% of wins in matches for a manager is poor. The only club that Allardyce has left with over 40% of matches won is Blackpool and Bolton and that was over a decade ago now. He has failed to break through that 40% barrier at Notts County, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland and now Crystal Palace. Add to that the bloke has shit sticking to him from past indiscretion AND that he doesn't want the job (thank god). NO THANKS

I see you've failed to mention he has a 100% win rate with England at international level. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your agenda

:spin::spin::spin::spin:

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No thanks. I don’t really fancy England’s sloppy seconds. 

If England deemed his actions as a sackable offence then he’s not a fit and proper person as far as the Scotland job is concerned in my opinion. 

It should be a rule that if someone has managed England before then they should never even be considered for the Scotland job, and vice-versa.

A rule purely for the purpose of preserving the special and historic rivalry between us.

(I hope I don't get pelters for this)

1 hour ago, DizzyVizion said:

It should be a rule that if someone has managed England before then they should never even be considered for the Scotland job, and vice-versa.

A rule purely for the purpose of preserving the special and historic rivalry between us.

(I hope I don't get pelters for this)

I think that might be illegal. 

I also wouldn’t have a problem with a former England manager getting the Scotland job as long as he was a good manager who had some success with England and wasn’t a possible crook. 

I can’t think of many people that would apply to who are still alive and big Sam certainly doesn’t fit the bill. 

2 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

We should be hiring the best person for the job regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender or religion

So much for this progressive inclusive Scotland we keep hearing about 

26 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

We should be hiring the best person for the job regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender or religion

So much for this progressive inclusive Scotland we keep hearing about 

...well, maybe the SFA & EFA could come to a gentlemans agreement about it- I won't do your ex if you don't do mine.

Sorted!