Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Slavan Bilic is 33/1 with BetVictor

The SFA have to be approaching managers of this level if they want the team to progress. They can't pay an as attractive basic wage as most other clubs/nations but if we were to qualify then give them a huge big massive bonus

The worst that can happen by approaching these guys is the day no

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Slavan Bilic is 33/1 with BetVictor

The SFA have to be approaching managers of this level if they want the team to progress. They can't pay an as attractive basic wage as most other clubs/nations but if we were to qualify then give them a huge big massive bonus

The worst that can happen by approaching these guys is the day no

He hasn’t exactly been a success in his last few jobs so I’m not sure if the SFA will be rushing to phone the guy. 

He did well for Croatia right enough so maybe he’s suited to international management. 

I know Steve Clarke has only just joined Killie (and has already picked up some impressive results) but he strikes me as one of the better candidates on the home front.

Been number 2 to some excellent managers, worked with many top level players and can defensively organise a team.

Like many his record is hit and miss in England but he did get WBA finishing in the top 10 in his own full season in the premier league so he's hardly some disaster manager.

Strikes me the sort who'd do well at international level where you have to get lesser teams organised.

Edited by Tartan Chris

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I know Steve Clarke has only just joined Killie (and has already picked up some impressive results) but he strikes me as one of the better candidates on the home front.

Been number 2 to some excellent managers, worked with many top level players and can defensively organise a team.

Like many his record is hit and miss in England but he did get WBA finishing in the top 10 in his own full season in the premier league so he's hardly some disaster manager.

Strikes me the sort who'd do well at international level where you have to get lesser teams organised.

I listed him here a few weeks ago as my personal favourite choice (before he got the Killie job).

23 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I wonder what the people who are obsessed with McLeish leaving after one campaign as if it was some sort of betrayal would think if Clarke left Killie after a few games to manage Scotland. 🤔

Edited by Texas Pete

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Said it at the time half jokingly but Dick Advocaat has managed a shed load of international teams so he would actually be a serious contender if/when he leaves Holland (I presume he's still in charge).

If you look at this managerial stats for over 30 years of management it is pretty remarkable.  He answered the call from his own country, he will be there for the next two at a minimum.     Van Bronckhorst or Laurent Blanc or Frank De Boer but his record looks garbage.  I agree with someone above, Alex McLeish is looking credible as the choice, there just isn't anyone out there and available. 

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He hasn’t exactly been a success in his last few jobs so I’m not sure if the SFA will be rushing to phone the guy. 

He did well for Croatia right enough so maybe he’s suited to international management. 

He's still a far better option than any of the Scottish candidates being touted for the gig

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

Why are most against or not seriously thinking about Paul Lambert!?

The guy has played in Germany with Dortmund and did well at both Livi and Norwich, the Villa job was just to big for him at that certain time.

You're at it

He had a decent spell while at Norwich but everywhere else he's been his record is utter dugshite

13 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Said it at the time half jokingly but Dick Advocaat has managed a shed load of international teams so he would actually be a serious contender if/when he leaves Holland (I presume he's still in charge).

This week will be his last game leading the Dutch, been mentioned a lot in the media.

He's 70 now, not sure he'd want the hassle of managing us at that age?...

If a Scottish Manager i'd go for Alex McLeish doesnt excite me but i think best positioned for the role on a long term role. 

If a foreign coach i'd go for Michael 0'Neil (but i think he'll be off to club management next so dont think he'd come to us) so i'd turn to Lars Lagerback 17 years International Football Management experience, taken Sweden to 3 major tournaments, managed Nigeria at a major tournament, was instrumental in Icelands upturn in results. Look at his unbeaten record on Wiki and its impressive. I know he's just joined Norway but i'd break the bank with him. Get him in with a Scottish coaching team round him and mentor our next manager in waiting as hes certainly got a shelf life with him being 69  

10 hours ago, Shaun said:

Why are most against or not seriously thinking about Paul Lambert!?

The guy has played in Germany with Dortmund and did well at both Livi and Norwich, the Villa job was just to big for him at that certain time.

Because he is a massive flop, he is also second only to Presssley in terms of being incredibly dull. 

He would be an absolute disaster for Scotland IMO. 

11 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Steve Clarke was once touted as a Scotland manager by Rudd  Gullit. Infinitely preferable to McKay.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

If a Scottish Manager i'd go for Alex McLeish doesnt excite me but i think best positioned for the role on a long term role. 

If a foreign coach i'd go for Michael 0'Neil (but i think he'll be off to club management next so dont think he'd come to us) so i'd turn to Lars Lagerback 17 years International Football Management experience, taken Sweden to 3 major tournaments, managed Nigeria at a major tournament, was instrumental in Icelands upturn in results. Look at his unbeaten record on Wiki and its impressive. I know he's just joined Norway but i'd break the bank with him. Get him in with a Scottish coaching team round him and mentor our next manager in waiting as hes certainly got a shelf life with him being 69  

Lagerback is a poor man's Morten Olsen 

Certainly wouldn't be opposed to Bilic.

Despite West Ham this season, he's still their best premier league manager based on points per game.

His record at Croatia was good overall. 2008 was fantastic and showed a willingness and ability to mix young players coming thru with older established players, which is something we need right now. 2010 they were kind of unlucky to qualify, 20 points and 3rd place, beaten out of 2nd because shevchenko's ukraine lucked a win against england. 2012 was a horrible draw in the group stage of the tournament, pulling italy and spain in their group, but were just a few minutes away from going thru, then spain scored in the 88th minute.

talking to west ham fans, probably the biggest problem with them this season has been fitness. i dont know if that's been an issue elsewhere, but it is one that's basically removed in international management as it's clubs that make sure their players can play for the full 90 minutes.

So yeah, i'd be happy with slaven. good guy and probably as good a manager as we can realistically get.

34 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Fair point but what i like about Lagerback is what he started and achieved with Iceland this is something that we should be looking to replicate and who better to do it then the man who started it

I didnt realise Olsen had been Manager of Denmark for so long its very rare that you see that ideally that level of consistency for our manager would be nice 

I thinks it's shocking how in this day and age with all these stupid legislations for this, that and the next thing that same sizes vary from brand to brand

In Next I can wear a medium but if I go to superdry I have to buy an XL and even then it can sometimes be quite snug

On 07/11/2017 at 12:06 PM, tartanmartin said:

What exactly is poor mans about the guy who basically started off the positive era for Iceland right now?? There’s nothing poor mans about him. Pay off Norway and get him in now, the sfa will have to go for broke on this one.