Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

5 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Learned off of Gerard Houllier, Brendan Rogers and Gordon Strachan. He certainly would make an excellent coach but I'd give him the gig as manager. Fresh face with new ideas

I wonder why Rodgers didn’t take him to Celtic if he is that good a coach though. Maybe he asked him and McAllister turned him down?

He seems happy to be an ambassador (whatever that means) for Liverpool rather than getting back into coaching/management so I’m not even sure he’d be interested. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Klinsmann as manager with Calderwood and McAllister as his assistants sounds good to me. :lol:

The Tottenham connection. If the record are looking in then it'll be a case "Record Sport understand...."

Although I'd bump one and get Johnny Collins in there

Edited by DoonTheSlope

The bookies favourites are so 'meh'.

I can't believe more managers aren't throwing their hats in the ring. Nearly half of the participating teams qualify for the Euros, and on current form we'll walk it. Instant hero status is waiting for the manager that finally does it for Scotland after 22 years.

Edited by Dave78

17 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The Tottenham connection. If the record are looking in then it'll be a case "Record Sport understand...."

Although I'd bump one and get Johnny Collins in there

Gordon Durie? 

Neil Sullivan as goalkeeping coach?

We could even find a job for Steve Archibald. 

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I can't believe more managers aren't throwing their hats in the ring. Nearly half of the participating teams qualify for the Euros, and on current form we'll walk it. Instant hero status is waiting for the manager that finally does it for Scotland after 22 years.

‘Walk it’ is a bit ambitious. We could end up in pot 4 for the qualifiers if we don’t do well in the Nations League. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

‘Walk it’ is a bit ambitious. We could end up in pot 4 for the qualifiers if we don’t do well in the Nations League. 

Mibbie, aye. But on current form we'd be guaranteed a playoff. Who that might be against i've no idea, as understanding qualification this time is hard enough for my feeble wine-addled brain. :spin:

19 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Never take any notice of the bookies when it comes to managers. I could go and enquir about putting £20 on Jose or Pep(or someone low down or even not on the list) and get them to phone up for a price and they'd shite themselves and put him high up the list

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

Never take any notice of the bookies when it comes to managers. I could go and enquir about putting £20 on Jose and get them to phone up for a price and they'd shite themselves and put him high up the list

For 20 quid, really? Might phone them up and tell them i want to put £200 on 'Dave78 fae the TAMB' as next Scotland manager, and see where i appear on the list.

4 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Mibbie, aye. But on current form we'd be guaranteed a playoff. Who that might be against i've no idea, as understanding qualification this time is hard enough for my feeble wine-addled brain. :spin:

To get the equivalent of a playoff we would need to win our Nations League group. How is that guaranteed?  

Qualification for Euro 2020 is actually pretty simple. You either finish in the top 2 of your qualifying group or you qualify through the Nations League. 

I agree that we have a great chance through both routes but it’s hardly nailed on. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

To get the equivalent of a playoff we would need to win our Nations League group. How is that guaranteed?  

Qualification for Euro 2020 is actually pretty simple. You either finish in the top 2 of your qualifying group or you qualify through the Nations League. 

I agree that we have a great chance through both routes but it’s hardly nailed on. 

I know what you're saying and i agree. I should have put where i said 'on current form' in bold though. That's the key point.

4 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I know what you're saying and i agree. I should have put where i said 'on current form' in bold though. That's the key point.

On current form we struggled against Slovenia and probably should have lost. 

Even if we keep our current form for the Nations League (or improve on it) we are guaranteed nothing.

We will have a good chance though. 

34 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

we are never guaranteed f*ck all as we are experts at throwing it away

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

On current form we struggled against Slovenia and probably should have lost. 

Even if we keep our current form for the Nations League (or improve on it) we are guaranteed nothing.

We will have a good chance though. 

we did lose

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn't understand your bit about an 'equivalent of a playoff', so i've just been reading the wikipedia page. It seems if we win League C we get promoted to League B, and will have to beat one of those teams to qualify? Do i have that right? If so, yeah, it'll be harder than i thought. Shite.

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I didn't understand your bit about an 'equivalent of a playoff', so i've just been reading the wikipedia page. It seems if we win League C we get promoted to League B, and will have to beat one of those teams to qualify? Do i have that right? If so, yeah, it'll be harder than i thought. Shite.

Yeah I didn’t word that very well. I meant equivalent to getting a playoff because it’s going to work differently from how it works now. There are no playoffs for the European championships anymore  through the qualifiers (although there are playoffs in the Nations League - confusing isn’t it?). 

If we win our Nations League group then we will go into the playoffs with the other three group winners from League C. It will be a semi finals and final situation. The winners of the semis will play in the final. The winners of the final qualify for the Euro 2020 finals.

We would then be in League B for the following Nations League which would start in September 2022. 

We could theoretically get into the playoffs if we finish second in our group due to league A and B teams qualifying through the qualifiers proper as they would have no need of a playoff. If that happens then we would be playing off against league B teams (more difficult in theory). 

Don’t try and read up on it if you’ve had a few as it will pickle your brain. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I didn’t word that very well. I meant equivalent to getting a playoff because it’s going to work differently from how it works now. There are no playoffs for the European championships anymore  through the qualifiers (although there are playoffs in the Nations League - confusing isn’t it?). 

If we win our Nations League group then we will go into the playoffs with the other three group winners from League C. It will be a semi finals and final situation. The winners of the semis will play in the final. The winners of the final qualify for the Euro 2020 finals.

We would then be in League B for the following Nations League which would start in September 2022. 

We could theoretically get into the playoffs if we finish second in our group due to league A and B teams qualifying through the qualifiers proper as they would have no need of a playoff. If that happens then we would be playing off against league B teams (more difficult in theory). 

Don’t try and read up on it if you’ve had a few as it will pickle your brain. :lol:

You can say that again! :lol:

Thanks for your explanation though... much easier to understand than screeds of wikipedia text.

So we have Hungary, Romania and Slovenia in our group. Very doable.

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

You can say that again! :lol:

Thanks for your explanation though... much easier to understand than screeds of wikipedia text.

So we have Hungary, Romania and Slovenia in our group. Very doable.

The final draw hasn’t been made yet. Our group should be a little easier than that.

We can’t get Hungary, Romania or Slovenia in our group as they are the top seeds (along with us) in League C.

If all the top seeds in League C win their groups then the playoffs would be Hungary, Romania, Slovenia and Scotland.