Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

On 12/10/2017 at 9:18 PM, hamilton wanderer said:

Alex Neil

can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and play entertaining football. With Paul lambert as an assistant 

My choice too for the same reasons. I know a former Norwich player who says he's a good Manager.

4 hours ago, adamntg said:

He didn't play Griffiths when he was kept out of the Celtic team by Dembele and when he'd played 9 games without a goal for Scotland.  Do you not remember Griffiths clean thru 2 on 1 at Wembley, or missing an open goal v Slovenia?

For someone that is as stubborn as is alleged it is strange - baffling even - that he changed his entire team to something more effective over the course of the campaign. You say baffling, I say progress and learning. 

He's not the best manager we could ever hope for.  But he might be the best available just now. 

But, he isn't available just now. He just packed the job in. You seem to be finding it difficult to accept that.

I'm pretty sure he won't be applying for the vacant position.

6 hours ago, adamntg said:

He didn't play Griffiths when he was kept out of the Celtic team by Dembele and when he'd played 9 games without a goal for Scotland.  Do you not remember Griffiths clean thru 2 on 1 at Wembley, or missing an open goal v Slovenia?

For someone that is as stubborn as is alleged it is strange - baffling even - that he changed his entire team to something more effective over the course of the campaign. You say baffling, I say progress and learning. 

He's not the best manager we could ever hope for.  But he might be the best available just now. 

He didn’t pick Griffiths when he was starting for Celtic either.

Yeah but he might not be. 

Time to dry your eyes anyway mate. You’re moaning about something that can’t be changed. 

I'm not against McLeish because he left us for someone else.  Well, maybe just a wee bity ;)

I'm against him because he has proven to be a failure in the not so distant past, and so has Moyes has as well. Maybe there was a manager in there some time ago, but I'd look to a fresh mindset and if its not McInnes ; then look abroad.

33 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I doubt he'd do it ; but if the SFA and he was too to accept it ; I'd take Brendan Rodgers doing both the Celtic and Scotland job.

I don’t even know where to start with this. 

How would he watch players (apart from Celtic players) when he’d be working for Celtic every weekend?

Never mind the SFA and Rodgers, there’s no way Celtic would allow it.

There would be a massive conflict of interest for Rodgers. Would he be tempted not to play Celtic players for Scotland if Celtic had a big game the following week? Would he pick too many Celtic players because he’s biased? 

Giving the job to Rodgers (whilst he’s still managing a club) would be a terrible idea. 

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I do have a spot of sympathy for Strachan not playing Griffiths up to a point,  certainly last season he was rarely featuring for Celtic as adamntg said. A lot of that sympathy went with the too short to defend corners nonsense though.

There are certainly times when Griffiths wasn’t starting for Celtic and I didn’t have a problem with Strachan not starting him. 

There was a time (I think it was round about the Malta away game although I could be wrong) when Griffiths was starting and scoring regularly for Celtic and Strachan was playing Martin. 

Didn’t he also start Martin against Lithuania at Hampden when he hadn’t scored for his club in 21 games or something like that? That’s the kind of decisions that confused me. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

There are certainly times when Griffiths wasn’t starting for Celtic and I didn’t have a problem with Strachan not starting him. 

There was a time (I think it was round about the Malta away game although I could be wrong) when Griffiths was starting and scoring regularly for Celtic and Strachan was playing Martin. 

Didn’t he also start Martin against Lithuania at Hampden when he hadn’t scored for his club in 21 games or something like that? That’s the kind of decisions that confused me. 

40 goals in a domestic season and he wasn't being selected

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I’m no Celtic fan, and don’t really want a foreign coach, but he would do a job for us.

Why not a foreign coach though? Do you really feel inspired by the likes of McLeish and Moyes?

I'd for McInnes before all of them and he's Scottish ; but if he says no. We need to look abroad.

1 minute ago, weekevie04 said:

Of course he's not going to leave Celtic. It was a hypothetical.

I don’t think he meant it hypothetically. He’s mentioned it several times previously. 

Even if it was hypothetical what’s the point? Most people would take Rodgers but it’s never going to happen. If we’re going to talk hypothetically we might as well mention Mourinho and Guardiola. 

3 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

This! He'd be an amazing choice.

Maybe a few years ago when he was Croatia manager but take a look on Twitter after last night’s game - the West Ham fans aren’t half ripping him (and appear to have being doing so since last season).

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Maybe a few years ago when he was Croatia manager but take a look on Twitter after last night’s game - the West Ham fans aren’t half ripping him (and appear to have being doing so since last season).

That's the lot of the football manager unfortunately.  There's only so much you can do, to influence the guys on the park and very little patience from fans when things go wrong.  You're a genius or an arsehole.  

Edited by adamntg