Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

He is gone, let it go. Saying that I thought Levein would be a decent appointment, so what do I know. We all make errors in judgment, it’s a pity Strachan made so many. 

He's gone and he's not coming back, I accept that. 

I still think it's a mistake and it's fresh enough for me to say so. 

Most United fans thought Levein would be a bad appointment.  He was good at finding and rehabilitating guys like Swanson, Gomis and so on.  His tactics were always suspect. 

Edited by adamntg

Well it would seem the field is narrowing. Fat Sam ruled himself out (thank god), Moyes shuffling away from the job (reading his words) and Michael O'Neill seeming increasingly unlikely. The SFA (despite initially saying otherwise) seemingly have not ruled out going foreign. I would go down this route now as the Scottish options largely fill me with dread rather than hope.

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

If we can't find someone better that would make him the best option. And I think we should give the job to the best option. 

I never mentioned giving it to him for life.

The new guy could do far, far worse than Strachan.  I wouldn't measure success in such simplistic black and white terms as you.  We have had some atrocious managers in the recent past and it's looking to me that we may have another coming up.

What a depressing outlook you have. 

I know you didn’t say he should have the job for life but what if he fails again? The list of candidates to replace him will be pretty similar, if not identical, in two years time. Should we give him yet another chance then because you and some others don’t like the people who might replace him? 

Yeah the new manager could do worse. He could also do much better. You seem to be judging people on things they haven’t done yet. I am judging Strachan on his record in the job over 5 years.

The most important thing though is that Strachan is gone. Is it not about time you accepted that and started looking to the future?

43 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

However it's the SFA board who are being paid the big bucks to go out and find someone who is better than the previous manager and entice them with an attractive financial package 

This here is the problem, always has been and always will be, which many people fail to take on board.

The SFA are amateurs

It is the clique of all cliques

No foresight

No forward planning

Little investment

The SFA idea of ambition, along with a lot of our clubs to be fair, is hoping it happens without them having to do anything of significance

Where did all the money of successive World Cup qualifications and merchandise sales go ?

They have pleaded poverty for the whole of my lifetime even when we were at our most successful regards qualifications

They will never, and i stress never, splash out big money for a manager.

Its arguable that it would make any difference anyway within the confines of the SFA

It has to be a Yes man - somebody that wont rock the boat. Always has been

They would prefer to spend money on youth development and facilities has always been the answer

To put that into perspective - Iceland spent 15 years investing in their facilities

They have 7 full size indoor pitches and 150 smaller artificial arenas

From the age of 4 - every child has access to a UEFA accredited coach

The SFA have never taken Scottish Football seriously

A committee of amateurs never will

When it comes to lining their own pockets, going on junckets and generally doing fvck all we are the World champions

Edited by Ally Bongo

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I know you didn’t say he should have the job for life but what if he fails again? The list of candidates to replace him will be pretty similar, if not identical, in two years time. Should we give him yet another chance then because you and some others don’t like the people who might replace him? 

Yeah the new manager could do worse. He could also do much better. You seem to be judging people on things they haven’t done yet. I am judging Strachan on his record in the job over 5 years.

The most important thing though is that Strachan is gone. Is it not about time you accepted that and started looking to the future?

I'm not depressed, I'm just not furious that we missed the play-offs by a single goal. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

This here is the problem, always has been and always will be, which many people fail to take on board.

The SFA are amateurs

No foresight

No forward planning

Little investment

The SFA idea of ambition, along with a lot of our clubs to be fair, is hoping it happens without them having to do anything of significance

Where did all the money of successive World Cup qualifications and merchandise sales go ?

They have pleaded poverty for the whole of my lifetime even when we were at our most successful regards qualifications

Its arguable that it would make any difference anyway within the confines of the SFA

They would prefer to spend money on youth development and facilities has always been the answer

To put that into perspective - Iceland spent 15 years investing in their facilities

When it comes to lining their own pockets, going on junckets and generally doing fvck all we are the World champions

Coincidentally, I was speaking to guy and my office today, and he was telling me his son is a pro player in Iceland and was raving about the facilities, coaching etc. From what he was saying there's also quite a few young players from lots of different countries playing there benefiting from the Icelandic set up.

24 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I'm not depressed, I'm just not furious that we missed the play-offs by a single goal. 

I didn’t suggest that you were depressed. I said you had a depressing outlook based on the fact that you don’t appear to even consider the remotest possibility that our new manager might do better than Strachan when in all likelihood he isn’t going to do any worse. Strachan isn’t exactly a great manager.

I wouldn’t say I was furious that we missed the playoff and I don’t know anyone who is (I’m sure there are people who were though). Disappointed would be closer to the truth. 

I just think Strachan has had his shot. He’s had two full campaigns to get us to a major championship and he hasn’t even managed to reach the playoffs (third place got a playoff for Euro 2016 which he couldn’t even manage). OK so the players weren’t blameless but Strachan’s baffling decisions and selections cost us in both campaigns. 

His time is over and rightly so. 

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SFA are amateurs

No foresight

No forward planning

Little investment

Why isn’t there a ‘like’ button on this board.

21 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Why isn’t there a ‘like’ button on this board.

I hope and trust that it's because the new board muffins hold the wise and mature view that the 'like' function simply distorts the ebb and flow of normal board discourse as threads are poxed with 'like-bait' posts, obsession sets in as to who is top of the 'likes' leader board while others plot to undermine their positions, and all the while decent, contemplative posters languish in the murk of the unliked lower reaches of the league table. If you don't believe me, take a look at any message board that allows the thing ...

Edit: Hey, I can quote from my usual browser again ... for the first time in years ... Huzzah!

Edited by DonnyTJS

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t suggest that you were depressed. I said you had a depressing outlook based on the fact that you don’t appear to even consider the remotest possibility that our new manager might do better than Strachan when in all likelihood he isn’t going to do any worse. Strachan isn’t exactly a great manager.

I wouldn’t say I was furious that we missed the playoff and I don’t know anyone who is (I’m sure there are people who were though). Disappointed would be closer to the truth. 

I just think Strachan has had his shot. He’s had two full campaigns to get us to a major championship and he hasn’t even managed to reach the playoffs (third place got a playoff for Euro 2016 which he couldn’t even manage). OK so the players weren’t blameless but Strachan’s baffling decisions and selections cost us in both campaigns. 

His time is over and rightly so. 

I didn't think his decisions were baffling.  You might not have agreed 100%, but he didn't play Griffiths in goal, he didn't play Barry Bannan at centre-half or refuse to call up Scott Brown - that would be baffling.  If not playing uncapped Calum McGregor or other newby John McGinn in a crunch match is baffling, well, you're easily baffled.    

I also concede that the next manager may do better - I really hope he does - but, given the options, I'm not confident that'll be the case.  

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I didn't think his decisions were baffling.  You might not have agreed 100%, but he didn't play Griffiths in goal, he didn't play Barry Bannan at centre-half or refuse to call up Scott Brown - that would be baffling.  If not playing uncapped Calum McGregor or other newby John McGinn in a crunch match is baffling, well, you're easily baffled.    

I also concede that the next manager may do better - I really hope he does - but, given the options, I'm not confident that'll be the case.  

Only one player who started against Lithuania at Hampden started against Lithuania away. He almost changed the entire team in a year. That’s baffling. 

Do you not remember his starting 11 in Dublin? That was baffling.

He didn’t play Griffiths for months when he was banging in goals for Celtic when everyone in Scotland was telling him to play the guy. Did that not baffle you?

His behaviour in press conferences is just bizarre.

Whatever though. Yeah let’s invite him back because he’s the best manager we could ever hope for. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41684682

Souness, 64, revealed that he had been interviewed for the Scotland post in 2008 following the departure of Alex McLeish, two years after his last club job with Newcastle United.

"I had an interview at the Hilton Hotel at Edinburgh Airport and I met the three chaps involved," he said.

"I thought it was going well until they asked what I would require as a salary and it went quiet in the room.

"After that, I left thinking I've got a chance here and didn't hear anything then read in the newspapers they had given the job to George Burley.

"They hadn't bothered to ring up and tell me in advance, so I thought this job is not for me. It wasn't then, it's not now and it won't be in the future.

"Keep your money in your pocket. You won't be winning any money with me."

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

I hope and trust that it's because the new board muffins hold the wise and mature view that the 'like' function simply distorts the ebb and flow of normal board discourse as threads are poxed with 'like-bait' posts, obsession sets in as to who is top of the 'likes' leader board while others plot to undermine their positions, and all the while decent, contemplative posters languish in the murk of the unliked lower reaches of the league table. If you don't believe me, take a look at any message board that allows the thing ...

Edit: Hey, I can quote from my usual browser again ... for the first time in years ... Huzzah!

*likes*

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Very good post my ‘Murican Brother. :ok:

8 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

🏆

9 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

A single goal? Try 5. And even if it was one, its still failure.

We only needed one more goal against Slovenia. Or, if we'd conceded one less. If only we could defend set pieces have decently? If my auntie had baws...........

As you say, failure is failure no natter how close it was. 

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SFA are amateurs

No foresight

No forward planning

Little investment

Completely agree, you forgot to add their obsession with the OF but otherwise you are spot on.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

We only needed one more goal against Slovenia. Or, if we'd conceded one less. If only we could defend set pieces have decently? If my auntie had baws...........

As you say, failure is failure no natter how close it was. 

Aye or a single goal in any of the games we drew. 

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Only one player who started against Lithuania at Hampden started against Lithuania away. He almost changed the entire team in a year. That’s baffling. 

Do you not remember his starting 11 in Dublin? That was baffling.

He didn’t play Griffiths for months when he was banging in goals for Celtic when everyone in Scotland was telling him to play the guy. Did that not baffle you?

His behaviour in press conferences is just bizarre.

Whatever though. Yeah let’s invite him back because he’s the best manager we could ever hope for. 

He didn't play Griffiths when he was kept out of the Celtic team by Dembele and when he'd played 9 games without a goal for Scotland.  Do you not remember Griffiths clean thru 2 on 1 at Wembley, or missing an open goal v Slovenia?

For someone that is as stubborn as is alleged it is strange - baffling even - that he changed his entire team to something more effective over the course of the campaign. You say baffling, I say progress and learning. 

He's not the best manager we could ever hope for.  But he might be the best available just now.