Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Why are so many against Alex McLeish?  Ok he jumped ship, but it was after the campaign and he was a young manager with no competitive game for 10months.  However, looking back on that campaign, we played some good stuff under him and won 6 games in a row including friendlies.  Under Walter (legend) we were difficult to beat but McLeish added an attacking layer that i'd not seen for about 10 years.  I think the Scotland job is suited to an older manager, maybe McInnes in 15 years for example, and McLeish seems well keen on getting us to the next Euros, unlike Moyes who would beg to go back to his beloved littleeng.

1 hour ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Why are so many against Alex McLeish?  Ok he jumped ship, but it was after the campaign and he was a young manager with no competitive game for 10months.  However, looking back on that campaign, we played some good stuff under him and won 6 games in a row including friendlies.  Under Walter (legend) we were difficult to beat but McLeish added an attacking layer that i'd not seen for about 10 years. 

1 Birmingham offered him 3 times the wages he was on with the SFA

2 Euro 2008 qualifying after he took over from Smith - Beat Georgia 2-1 at home, Lost 2-0 away to Italy, Won 2-0 in the Faroes, Beat Lithuania 3-1 at home, Beat Ukraine 3-1 at home , won 1-0 away to France (1 shot on goal ?), Lost 2-0 in Georgia and lost 2-1 to Italy at home

We only played 2 friendlies in his tenure - Won 1-0 away to Austria & beat South Africa 1-0 at Pittodrie

It was a memorable campaign results wise, the two home games against Lithuania & the Ukraine being his purple patch, but I think McFadden is clouding your opinion IMO

The France away game, like the home game under Smith, was remarkable unbelievable luck 

Parked the bus twice and on another day would have lost both by 5 or more

7 hours ago, adamntg said:

Seriously, we had a guy who was doing a no bad job with the resources he had.  He wasn't perfect but who is?  The players played for him. 

We've made a mistake. 

No thanks.  

Whoever gets the job will have a fresh set of eyes and might actually pick in form players. 

Do you think we should just have given Strachan the job for life because you don’t think it’s possible that we will ever find anyone better? 

The new guy can’t do much worse than not get us a playoff. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

No thanks.  

Whoever gets the job will have a fresh set of eyes and might actually pick in form players. 

Do you think we should just have given Strachan the job for life because you don’t think it’s possible that we will ever find anyone better? 

The new guy can’t do much worse than not get us a playoff. 

If we can't find someone better that would make him the best option. And I think we should give the job to the best option. 

I never mentioned giving it to him for life.

The new guy could do far, far worse than Strachan.  I wouldn't measure success in such simplistic black and white terms as you.  We have had some atrocious managers in the recent past and it's looking to me that we may have another coming up.

All this pish about picking "in form" players.  For a start, Barry Bannan has been in the form of his life at his club.  And yet he is one of the rods used to beat Strachan.  

The manager picks the team, and some of the subjective judgment calls he has to make have so many factors - experience, form, relationships between players, balance of the team in the formation he wants to play etc etc.  To want the guy to lose his job because he didn't pick McGinn or McGregor and you would have, well, it underestimates the complexities of managing a group of highly paid international footballers.

i wouldn't have picked McGinn either, and maybe Michael O'Neill wouldn't, who knows?  And maybe, if McGinn was picked he would've been rubbish and we'd have lost to Slovakia.

The point I'm making (badly I think) is that singling out one of two close judgment calls that you didn't agree as a reason for changing the manager is like leaving your wife cos she can't cook decent lasagne.

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

Bring back Strachan.  The alternatives are all arseholes. 

Most of the alternatives mentioned are unlikely rather than arseholes 

8 hours ago, adamntg said:

Seriously, we had a guy who was doing a no bad job with the resources he had.  He wasn't perfect but who is?  The players played for him. 

We've made a mistake. 

Judgment is clouded - go analyse his player selections, team formations and performances again

17 minutes ago, adamntg said:

All this pish about picking "in form" players.  For a start, Barry Bannan has been in the form of his life at his club.  And yet he is one of the rods used to beat Strachan.  

The manager picks the team, and some of the subjective judgment calls he has to make have so many factors - experience, form, relationships between players, balance of the team in the formation he wants to play etc etc.  To want the guy to lose his job because he didn't pick McGinn or McGregor and you would have, well, it underestimates the complexities of managing a group of highly paid international footballers.

i wouldn't have picked McGinn either, and maybe Michael O'Neill wouldn't, who knows?  And maybe, if McGinn was picked he would've been rubbish and we'd have lost to Slovakia.

The point I'm making (badly I think) is that singling out one of two close judgment calls that you didn't agree as a reason for changing the manager is like leaving your wife cos she can't cook decent lasagne.

A wee bit of Scottish cringe here  

29 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

No they failed as well. 

It’s not complicated. 

Ok, so who?

You do know the genetics comment, while misjudged and manna for those who wanted him gone, was really just a comment on how their team was bigger than ours?  I don't think he was trying to air any reasoned scientific opinion.

Alex Neil for me.

He was a bit too loyal in his 2nd season at Norwich however has learned from that.

Outstanding organisation and great football to watch.  Tactically excellent and critically he gets the very best out of ordinary players.

Best ever football Accies played was under him and at this stage in the 2014 / 2015 season we were top of the Premier league having just beaten Celtic away and McCarthy and McArthur had gone by that time.

Surely the SFA can get him to leave Preston North End (even though they're going great guns in the Chamionship at the moment).

This job should NOT be for someone who is merely available!

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Ok, so who?

You do know the genetics comment, while misjudged and manna for those who wanted him gone, was really just a comment on how their team was bigger than ours?  I don't think he was trying to air any reasoned scientific opinion.

McInnes but I’d also encourage applications from abroad and be in  no rush to appointment someone this year. 

Maybe so but it was embarrassing and a terrible excuse for piss poor tactics that proved he’s making the same mistakes over 2 full campaigns, thus he had to go. 

42 minutes ago, adamntg said:

In what way?  Because I think some of the grievances raised against Strachan are petty and highly subjective?

Your almost hero worshiping of him is comical. Pointless going over his repeated failures, this thread is for the next manager, and it won’t be Strachan. 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

McInnes but I’d also encourage applications from abroad and be in  no rush to appointment someone this year. 

Maybe so but it was embarrassing and a terrible excuse for piss poor tactics that proved he’s making the same mistakes over 2 full campaigns, thus he had to go. 

McInnes just seems to be too similar to Levein for me.  Decent at organising ordinary players, able to spot unfulfilled talent but he strikes me very much as a club manager. 

Just now, kumnio said:

Your almost hero worshiping of him is comical. Pointless going over his repeated failures, this thread is for the next manager, and it won’t be Strachan. 

I don't hero-worship him.  I just don't think it was good to sack him and I don't see a better realistic candidate.  

Your misconstruing of me and my views is comical. 

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I don't hero-worship him.  I just don't think it was good to sack him and I don't see a better realistic candidate.  

Your misconstruing of me and my views is comical. 

He is gone, let it go. Saying that I thought Levein would be a decent appointment, so what do I know. We all make errors in judgment, it’s a pity Strachan made so many.