Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

On 13/10/2017 at 10:23 PM, Malcolm said:

Celtic a bigger job than Scotland? How about rangers?....  hearts? Partick?..

hibs a bigger job, given Lennon qualified out? Interested to hear people's thoughts?

Of course Celtic is a bigger job than Scotland to someone who is a non Scottish Celtic supporter.

57 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

I used to think that too; however, met him at Loch Lomond Golf Club, and a nicer man you could not meet.

What, nicer than say Kofi Annan,  seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations from January 1997 to December 2006. and co-recipient of the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize?

Joking apart, he may be nice away from work but comes across a bit arrogant at times. I seem to remember when he scored the penalty v Brazil in 1998 WC he celebrated by pointing to his name on the back of his shirt. Never mind the game, look at the scorer.....

Edited by gkm_vancouver

Just now, gkm_vancouver said:

What, nicer than say Kofi Annan,  seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations from January 1997 to December 2006. and co-recipients of the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize?

Joking apart, he may be nice away from work but comes across a bit arrogant at times. I seem to remember when he scored the penalty v Brazil in 1998 WC he celebrated by poiting to his name on the back of his shirt. Never mind the game, look at the scorer.....

I totally agree. I couldn't stand him, but it just shows you.

29 minutes ago, McDange said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/11084090/alex-mcleish-wants-to-return-as-scotland-manager

Picking up momentum. As bitter as I was when he left, would he do this all over again if he significantly improved the team? Is it worth it if it means going to a tournament? 

Thoughts? 

He’s been rotten for years now so it’s potentially a massive gamble having him back.

Dont see the rush getting someone in at this point. 

17 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

I'm also very sceptical about Collins. His short spell at Hibs was a complete train wreck by all accounts. A great player doesn't translate into a great manager. He's way down in the pecking order IMHO.

John Collins tried to introduce fitness to Hibs. The players didn't fancy double/treble sessions so went in a huff and had a meeting in Rod Petries living room

Pretty much the same scenario as Paul Le Guen. They both tried to introduce the French training methods and lifestyle to the players but they preferred going out on the peev every weekend or spending all afternoon in the bookies

19 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

John Collins tried to introduce fitness to Hibs. The players didn't fancy double/treble sessions so went in a huff and had a meeting in Rod Petries living room

Pretty much the same scenario as Paul Le Guen. They both tried to introduce the French training methods and lifestyle to the players but they preferred going out on the peev every weekend or spending all afternoon in the bookies

I like the idea of Collins but he’s not did much since Hibs has he? 

18 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I’m not an expert on the whole Collins scenario. The above is what I thought had happened. Can anyone elaborate on why he is considered such a cock? Apparently he was teetotal throughout his playing career and tried to impress on the Hibs players that they could have the career that he’d had but they didn’t like the idea of more training, better diets, no booze, etc.

Being a great player doesn’t make you necessarily a great manager, but he is one of the last really top class players we produced who actually tested himself abroad. Had a conversation with an English guy at work about the last world class player Scotland produced and Collins was the first name he came out with.

To add, not inspired whatsoever by McLeich.

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Joking apart, he may be nice away from work but comes across a bit arrogant at times. I seem to remember when he scored the penalty v Brazil in 1998 WC he celebrated by pointing to his name on the back of his shirt. Never mind the game, look at the scorer.....

You sure that you're not just out your way to get annoyed about something? That goal hitting the net was one of my favourite memories as a Scotland, couldn't really care how he celebrated.

57 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Were O’Connnor and Riordan in that group? Says it all if so...

No to McLeish and Moyes.

Both didn't want it before, so why the change in heart ;but now they have have both failed at their previous clubs, yet now, you somehow 'never turn down your national team'. McLeish can't even string a sentence together and he left for Birmingham City!

They will both be the same as Strachan e.g picking bog-standard English Championship players over some of the talent that is actually Scottish playing in the SPL. Iceland and Northern Ireland are excellent examples of teams playing for the jersey e.g Kari Arnason was MOTM in their 3-0 win in Istanbul, yet if he was Scottish ; he would not be in the team because he plays for Aberdeen.

If McInnes won't take it ; then let's look abroad. If the rumours are it may take 8 months to find the right man, I'm all for it if it means the SFA are looking abroad and different routes ; but it won't be. They'll be waiting to see who's out of job or who doesn't fancy it.

Edited by weekevie04

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

You sure that you're not just out your way to get annoyed about something? That goal hitting the net was one of my favourite memories as a Scotland, couldn't really care how he celebrated.

Yes, I'm long past getting annoyed when it comes to appointing Scottish managers. I'm talking about the person rather than the moment and whether it would be a worthwhile appointment. It's quite possible that Collins ahs picked up some modern techniques from his time in France but don't think he has sufficient successful experience to put them into practice. I've said in other threads that a successful foreign coach would be my choice as I think we need a definite change of approach and going someone with a track record that can be inspirational and bring confidence to the team/support. as many others have said the main Scottish candidates are not really providing that inspiration but we may end up with one. Time will tell..

5 hours ago, McDange said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/11084090/alex-mcleish-wants-to-return-as-scotland-manager

Picking up momentum. As bitter as I was when he left, would he do this all over again if he significantly improved the team? Is it worth it if it means going to a tournament? 

Thoughts? 

If McLeish got the job and we qualified for Euro 2020 and then he left straight after of course it would be worth it. 

Dick Advocaat has managed The Netherlands on three separate occasions.

Mario Zagallo managed Brazil at least four times I think. 

Bruce Arena managed the USA twice. 

It’s quite common for someone to manage their country more than once and really isn’t the big deal that some people are making it out to be. 

Did Collins not line up the players at either Celtic or Hibs and start doing press ups in front of them ?

You do need some qualities to be an International manager - being a bawbag that sucks the life out of team bonding isnt one of them

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-hibs-star-michael-stewart-slams-4901566

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27896679

Edited by Ally Bongo

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Did Collins not line up the players at either Celtic or Hibs and start doing press ups in front of them ?

You do need some qualities to be an International manager - being a bawbag that sucks the life out of team bonding isnt one of them

Some might say (or have said) it has been for some recent managers.

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If McLeish got the job and we qualified for Euro 2020 and then he left straight after of course it would be worth it. 

Dick Advocaat has managed The Netherlands on three separate occasions.

Mario Zagallo managed Brazil at least four times I think. 

Bruce Arena managed the USA twice. 

It’s quite common for someone to manage their country more than once and really isn’t the big deal that some people are making it out to be. 

his second spell went well