Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

21 hours ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

Honestly ? I wouldn't have him in the team, but he's a player - the manager's role is different. I'm sure even you would agree with that. 

you wouldn't have Griffiths in the team

at the moment he pretty much is our team

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

None are familiar with the Scottish game or indeed more importantly the players available to be selected

Absolutely pointless having a marquee big name manager if they dont have that on their CV

Needs to be:

1. Clued up on Scottish football and the pool of players available from the SPL and outwith

2. Good, along with assistants, at selecting and organising, (not coaching) squad players - set piece work etc

3. Good, along with assistants, at scouting the opposition

4. Good motivational skills with more than a Plan A for games / ability to realise quickly when something isnt working and changing it.

5. Someone who wont fall into the trap of having favourite players & only being brave when we are at a cliff edge.

6. In the main picks the best players available every time. It's alright replacing one or two who he thinks might not be suited to a certain opposition but not to an extent that the whole balance of the team is affected (George Burley, Craig Levein) (see 4)

7.Someone who has a good rapport with his players but by no means wants or will be their pal.

It's no coincidence that our most successful managerial team (Roxburgh & Brown) had all these things.

Brown carried on after Roxburgh but eventually fell into category 5 when the talent available dwindled

Complete and utter nonsense, I don't even know where to begin.

Here's an idea...

How about we advertise the job, wait for applicants, draw up a shortlist and select a candidate after interviewing them and finding out what they can bring to the role.  A wee bit radical of course but I'm getting a bit sick of the, "I'd prefer to be at a club but if Scotland come crawling to me..." nonsense.  They should be coming to us NOT the other way round.

9 minutes ago, Mox said:

Agreed

If Mourinho or Guardiola were to apply we shouldn't even consider them cos they don't know the Scottish game?

Anyone with football in their veins would get to know our game and the pool of players available to select from in no time. And a fresh pair of eyes looking at it for the first time with no preconceived ideas might just be exactly what we need right now.

I'd take anyone from Shaun's list, bar Allardyce. Imagine Klinsmann! Or Wilmots!

Edited by DaveyDenoon

I hope that we don't go down the road of the usual Suspects, Moyes, Lambert etc, and that we go for someone who can instill some self belief and a winning mentality into the Players so that when do manage to get ahead or pull level in games we go on and try and kill our opponents off or have the belief we can go on and win the game instead of the mentality of the Players at the moment where it seems to be if we do manage to get ahead in games we end up hanging on for dear life trying to defend a narrow lead which ultimately costs us every time, a winning mentality and confidence in their own abilities will go a long way to achieving some real improvement in our fortunes.

I see Regan is telling us that he is not against the idea of a private investor ponying up cash to enable the SFA to sign a big name, much like what the Republic did with Trappatoni. Sounds likes he is not going to throw cash at a big name but if someone else wants to do it then charge on. More penny pinching from the SFA. 

Sunday Mail also reporting that Prandelli wants the job.....

10 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Sunday Mail also reporting that Prandelli wants the job.....

I got excited when I saw that but then it hit me that it's the Record reporting it and then I read the article.

All it said was "it's understood" Prandelli would be interested, there were no direct quotes from either him or his representatives confirming it. 

The Record I suspect, just made it up.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Good record in Italy where he managed for almost 25 years. Outside Italy his stats are far less stellar.

Last I heard about him was the Italian manager and the final of 2012, nothing since and what does he know about the Scottish game?!

1 hour ago, Mox said:

How about managing at International level is completely different from club level

No coaching

No player development

No money to buy players

How long did it take Vogts whom some seem to be having brigadoon type memories ?

57 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Agreed

If Mourinho or Guardiola were to apply we shouldn't even consider them cos they don't know the Scottish game?

Anyone with football in their veins would get to know our game and the pool of players available to select from in no time. And a fresh pair of eyes looking at it for the first time with no preconceived ideas might just be exactly what we need right now.

I'd take anyone from Shaun's list, bar Allardyce. Imagine Klinsmann! Or Wilmots!

Again - i refer you to Vogts

You think we are at the stage where we need 40 player debuts ?

2-2 in the Faroes and the players taking over at half time ?

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

None are familiar with the Scottish game or indeed more importantly the players available to be selected

Absolutely pointless having a marquee big name manager if they dont have that on their CV

Needs to be:

1. Clued up on Scottish football and the pool of players available from the SPL and outwith

2. Good, along with assistants, at selecting and organising, (not coaching) squad players - set piece work etc

3. Good, along with assistants, at scouting the opposition

4. Good motivational skills with more than a Plan A for games / ability to realise quickly when something isnt working and changing it.

5. Someone who wont fall into the trap of having favourite players & only being brave when we are at a cliff edge.

6. In the main picks the best players available every time. It's alright replacing one or two who he thinks might not be suited to a certain opposition but not to an extent that the whole balance of the team is affected (George Burley, Craig Levein) (see 4)

7.Someone who has a good rapport with his players but by no means wants or will be their pal.

It's no coincidence that our most successful managerial team (Roxburgh & Brown) had all these things.

Brown carried on after Roxburgh but eventually fell into category 5 when the talent available dwindled

Who does this leave then?

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Here's an idea...

How about we advertise the job, wait for applicants, draw up a shortlist and select a candidate after interviewing them and finding out what they can bring to the role.  A wee bit radical of course but I'm getting a bit sick of the, "I'd prefer to be at a club but if Scotland come crawling to me..." nonsense.  They should be coming to us NOT the other way round.

You risk sectioning with crazy talk like that. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Phew thank christ for that:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41626593

Good. I don’t think he would have had a chance at getting the job but thankfully he doesn’t want it anyway.

The time is not right though? You’re 62 mate. Do you think you’ll be offered the job when you’re 72? He clearly doesn’t want it at all and is just trying to be polite about it. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Good. I don’t think he would have had a chance at getting the job but thankfully he doesn’t want it anyway.

The time is not right though? You’re 62 mate. Do you think you’ll be offered the job when you’re 72? He clearly doesn’t want it at all and is just trying to be polite about it. 

Aye hopefully that rules him out. 

He looked bored of football at Sunderland. 

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Radical thought, but not every overseas manager will be like Vogts. 

How about a fvcking REALITY thought rather than a radical one ?

Name ONE top non Scottish manager that;

a - is available

b - would actually be interested considering the state of our game

c - that the SFA would pay big bucks for

:rolleyes:

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

How about a fvcking REALITY thought rather than a radical one ?

Name ONE top non Scottish manager that;

a - is available

b - would actually be interested considering the state of our game

c - that the SFA would pay big bucks for

:rolleyes:

I don’t follow overseas football well enough these days to name someone off the top of my head.

As Daviebee said above, let’s wait and see who applies or shows interest in the job before deciding who’s best suited. 

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t think the next manager necessarily has to be clued up on the Scottish game before he takes the job. A fresh pair of eyes and a willingness to watch our league and the English leagues and make up his own mind on the best squad could work. 

We’re limiting our possibilities otherwise.

Totally agree, this ‘Scottish football’ thing is nonsense IMO. The games ideals are the same the world over. 

Get the right man in place, give him time to see what’s needed, we don’t have a real game for nearly a year. 

Just now, kumnio said:

Totally agree, this ‘Scottish football’ thing is nonsense IMO. The games ideals are the same the world over. 

Get the right man in place, give him time to see what’s needed, we don’t have a real game for nearly a year. 

Yep. We criticise people like Strachan and posters who want him to stay for running our game down but at the same time we shouldn’t  just accept the first available Scottish manager like we’ve arguably done in the past decade. 

I know the SFA are incompetent and don’t pay the best wages but we’ve still potentially got an attractive job for managers with a decent pedigree. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can he speak Scottish though? 

"Steve, your thoughts ahead of tommorow's big match ?"

"Och, ma bonnie wee laddies were jist pure braw in training the day, we cannae wait fir the morra nicht."

Edited by ErsatzThistle