Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

The one ambitious choice for someone to get us to Euro2020 - and yes it would be short term as he'll get poached - is Thomas Tuchel. 

An excellent coach and would absolutely shite over any other choice.  Costly aye - but sure, we've got the cash to splash. 

Just now, Debian said:

The one ambitious choice for someone to get us to Euro2020 - and yes it would be short term as he'll get poached - is Thomas Tuchel. 

An excellent coach and would absolutely shite over any other choice.  Costly aye - but sure, we've got the cash to splash. 

Have the SFA just won the lottery in the last 24 hrs ?

1 minute ago, Debian said:

1 minute ago, fringo said:

Have the SFA just won the lottery in the last 24 hrs ?

No but Colin and Chris Weir did a while back.  Maybe we need some celebrity fans to dig deep.  Rod Stewart was in my local sweet shop the other day, if I see him I'll ask whether he'd fancy chipping in for Tuchel or Hiddincks wages.  I'll add at least a tenner.

Just now, Hertsscot said:

No but Colin and Chris Weir did a while back.  Maybe we need some celebrity fans to dig deep.  Rod Stewart was in my local sweet shop the other day, if I see him I'll ask whether he'd fancy chipping in for Tuchel or Hiddincks wages.  I'll add at least a tenner.

Maybe we should get a crowd funding scheme if we can't find a celeb backer ? :)

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Celtic a bigger job than Scotland? How about rangers?....  hearts? Partick?..

hibs a bigger job, given Lennon qualified out? Interested to hear people's thoughts?

Celtic will be paying Rodgers far more than the SFA could afford and while money isn’t everything, international football is regarded by many managers as something as a final pay day or something to do in retirement as it’s less than part time. 

I doubt Rodgers would leave Celtic for the Ireland job never mind the Scotland job. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Celtic will be paying Rodgers far more than the SFA could afford and while money isn’t everything, international football is regarded by many managers as something as a final pay day or something to do in retirement as it’s less than part time. 

I doubt Rodgers would leave Celtic for the Ireland job never mind the Scotland job. 

How about the rangers job......?

24 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He has taken a country who couldn't even score a goal in some qualfying editions to euro 2016 last 16 and now comfortably 2nd in their world cup group.

He also did well at club level, got St Pats into Uefa cup group stages. Again what was the last club outside the old firm in Scotland to do that, Aberdeen in 2007?

Only area you can argue Norn Iron have better is in central defence. If Scotland had Johnny Evans and McAuley as options play offs would've happened imo.

Agree totally. Michael ON now looking like a no-brainer.

Edited by Third Lanark

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Rodgers will manage NI after Tommy Wright has?. 

David Moyes seems to be saying, if Scotland ask, I'd listen, but I'd rather manage a club.

Apart from motivation, his last 3 jobs have not been great job adverts, and even at Everton, though he did some good work, I seem to remember he could rarely win against the bigger clubs. In international football you have to defy your ranking/seeding if you're going to qualify.

2 hours ago, exile said:

David Moyes seems to be saying, if Scotland ask, I'd listen, but I'd rather manage a club.

Apart from motivation, his last 3 jobs have not been great job adverts, and even at Everton, though he did some good work, I seem to remember he could rarely win against the bigger clubs. In international football you have to defy your ranking/seeding if you're going to qualify.

Our problem in recent years hasn't been in not getting results against the top seeds in our groups but slipping up in games we should be winning, eg., Lithuania at home.

BTW, I'm not making a case for Moyes getting the job.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Our problem in recent years hasn't been in not getting results against the top seeds in our groups but slipping up in games we should be winning, eg., Lithuania at home.

BTW, I'm not making a case for Moyes getting the job.

I think that could be argued either way.

Yes we could have secured 2nd place by beating Lithuania this time, but to actually qualify we'd need to beat a higher seeded play-off opponent, no?

And, ultimately progressing beyond qualification, to tournament football (remember that??)... I would prefer a manager who would be capable to upsetting the odds.