Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Would love a respected foreign coach to come in. Klinsman type. Can't be bothered going through all the names. But with a good start and the fans behind a decent young side we could do well. Give it to McKay/moyes type. It will be negative from the off. 

Edited by 1ANDYP

If Strachan is to go then so should that clown Regan and his board.  How long have they been in the job and what exactly have they done ?

The correct answers are :   A) too long!    and B ) Absolutely bugger all !   

Sling yer hook  Regan and take your useless incompetent cronies with you. 

3 minutes ago, 1ANDYP said:

Would love a respected foreign coach to come in. Klinsman type. Can't be bothered going through all the names. But with a good start and the fans behind a decent young side we could do well. Give it to McKay/moyes type. It will be negative from the off. 

Not happening. The SFA have neither the inventive thought process or the inclination to make a ground-breaking decision like that. They'd soon employ a mug as cheap as chips. 

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed. But not back-to-back stark failures like they have had.

You could argue there is circumstances to the failures thought. For Lambert, Randy Lerner shut the cheque book up after O'Neill left and gave him nothing, they've since been relegated. He went to Blackburn, who are a shambles, where he walked, probably after realising what a shambles they are. They've since been relegated. He then went to Wolves who were in a relegation fight and left with a 42% win ratio. As for Moyes, I still say his problem has been choice of employment. Probably shouldn't have went to Spain, but at least gave it a go and he should never have touched Sunderland with a bargepole. That's a club that's been on a downward spiral for years. Again, just my opinion.

5 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

How about this as a starting XI next year for nations cup.  Hamilton; McCrorie, McKenna, Souttar, Tierney; Brown or McClean; McGinn, Armstrong, Burke, Robertson; Griffiths.

Not Sure wgs would have played any of them as they don't play in his beloved littleeng.  Same for the new manager, we need someone who believes in the ||Scottish game and will not ignore the talent here and just pick journeymen who play for relegation candidates in epl because they make a load of money.

Would like McInnes but is still young and will achieve more in the club game first maybe.

McLeish - been out of the game a while but against Ukraine (h) it was a nice style. A bit defensive against the big boys though.

Feel like Moyes is a very defensive manager and may favour epl champ players.  Could be wrong though.

Cannot believe bolton sam is being mentioned with this position.  Total joke.  I tell you what I'll take over the litlle eng managers job and take them to 0 wins out of 10 in the qualifiers.  Would be like Lennon taking over at Rangers

Lol.....  that defence would be taken apart.   Nowhere near the experience required for international football.  Who have mcrorie, McKenna or Souttar played of any note?

Just heard Roddy Forstyh (5 live) on Radio Ulster over here. They had him on asking him about Michael O'Neill. Forsyth indicated he's the man the SFA want and that they will be prepared to pay the compensation money, spoke of bonus incentives and offering a better salary than he's on currently.

Would certainly add weight to what Tom English said last night that the SFA really do need to splash the cash to get the right man. NI made about £9mil from the Euros

Edited by bossman4

Interesting they have appointed a caretaker manager who already works at the SFA. I think this is positive.

if they were going to appoint one of the stooges currently out of work they would do it now, and not bother with a caretaker.  Let's face it, you can't judge a caretaker on performance in meaningless friendlies.  Even if we win them all between now and next summer, it means bugger all. They haven't given Mackay the job FT

To me, this means they are putting someone cheap / free in place for now while they wait for the right man to be available. Whether it is after the play offs, at the end of the season or even after the World Cup.  It's all pointing to Michael O'Neill. And that will do me.

The only thing that scuppers this theory is that it's the fkin SFA we are talking about......

My NI supporting work colleagues have all accepted he would leave at the end of this campaign, the 3/4 deal he signed last year was to ensure the IFA get the right compensation. I thought Regans press conference today was also pointing away from the usual out of work suspects.

Stuart Baxter seems to have had a lot of clubs - what would be his main achievement(s)?

Are Moyes and Lambert on irreversible downward spirals? Surely Scotland can do better than those? What about Alex Neil is he on the way back? Was Steve Clarke unlucky or is he not up to it either?

The problem with too many of them is that they're damaged goods.  Yes there was a time when I would have been happy with several of the usual suspects but you've got to worry what getting fired a couple of times does to you psychologically.  I would think it would be very easy to slip back into a conservative, no risk, minimise the losses type frame of mind and arguably that's the type of mind set that has cost us dearly in the last two campaigns where decisions on players an substitutions have been too cautious.

8 hours ago, hamilton wanderer said:

Honestly Alex Neil is the man. The style of football, organisation etc is just what we need.  Davie Moyes would only be because he is available - theis is the Scotland manager position FFS!

Neil's certainly doing well at Preston.  However a year or so ago Norwich fans were desperate to get rid off him.  Sometimes teams make a good start to the season only to falter badly later on.  I wish him success but it's far too early for him, needs to rebuild his career and have more than a good September under his belt.

27 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I just don’t get the whole MON (NI) love in.

Am I the only one?

No. I get why he may be a good manager on the basis of his record with NI. He's done something special there, no question.

Don't get why living in Edinburgh (if he does?) alongside that makes him a candidate for the Scotland job, though.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No. I get why he may be a good manager on the basis of his record with NI. He's done something special there, no question.

Don't get why living in Edinburgh (if he does?) alongside that makes him a candidate for the Scotland job, though.

Hope to feck we don't get mon.....  Michael or Martin....  no o Neil's of any sort please

41 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I just don’t get the whole MON (NI) love in.

Am I the only one?

He has taken a country who couldn't even score a goal in some qualfying editions to euro 2016 last 16 and now comfortably 2nd in their world cup group.

He also did well at club level, got St Pats into Uefa cup group stages. Again what was the last club outside the old firm in Scotland to do that, Aberdeen in 2007?

Only area you can argue Norn Iron have better is in central defence. If Scotland had Johnny Evans and McAuley as options play offs would've happened imo.