Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I agree with this, as I imagine most others do. Bearing in mind what you have said, who would your choice be given who is realistically available?

Apologies if you have already mentioned this, I have skimmed through these pages. 

Off the top of my ahead and too my knowledge unemployed, Pelligrini, Blanc, Roger Schmidt, Paulo Sousa, Claude Puel to name a few. Each of them infinitely better managers than any scottish alternatives and if you pay them the right money they might be interested.

3 minutes ago, Mox said:

Off the top of my ahead and too my knowledge unemployed, Pelligrini, Blanc, Roger Schmidt, Paulo Sousa, Claude Puel to name a few. Each of them infinitely better managers than any scottish alternatives and if you pay them the right money they might be interested.

And therein lies the problem. Given the SFA's history this will not even enter their minds, they will just go for someone who is cheap and available.

Fooks sake , it is totally demoralising. Like Groundhog Day. And no ambition. 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He will always have problems shaking that off, too many closed minded individuals to stop that happening. If he got Scotland in contention, the players and fans wouldn’t give a feck

Seems odd to me that you describe people that oppose his racist views as closed minded rather than the racist himself.

Too right he’ll have difficulty shaking it off and so he should. His apology was lacklustre at best, I’m sure he caveated it with a comment about it not being illegal. 

Yes we all mistakes and we should accept responsibility for them. For Mackay, I think that should include not being involved in the Scotland set up. Is he such a catch he’s worth the baggage? 

You say the fans and players wouldn’t give a feck, I disagree. You might not care if our national game has a bigot for a manager but you can’t speak for everyone (eg. Anya?).

Cmon, the snowflake patter belongs in a Katie Hopkins (is that her name?) column. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'm not sure international players would take to Alex Neil. Quite close to their age and didn't play at a high level. Maybe in 10 years if he's a successful club manager.

I think this would be a definite problem. You need someone with a presence that makes players shut up as soon as he walks into the dressing-room.  The "here's my medals now show me yours" sort of thing. 

Edited by daviebee
mistype

2 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

I'm not for or against Moyes really, but the way some people look back at his time at United is getting more and more rose tinted as time goes on.

To say that he had the same record as LVG or Mourinho in year 1 neglects to note the jobs that each manager took over. Moyes took over a title winning squad and finished 7th with it. He ripped apart a hugely successful backroom team and pissed off so many players in the first few months it was unreal. He was given the funds to improve the team, he chose not to do it. United had lined up a deal for Thiago Alcantara for example, but Moyes wouldn't sign off on the deal because he hadn't watched him in person. He fannied about trying to sign Baines and Fellaini and ended up letting Fellaini's release clause lapse and Utd ended up paying over the odds for him.

His tenure was an utter disaster. H wasn't cut out to manage a club that size and it all seemed too much for him.

LVG took over a team low on morale and finished 4th with them, losing the likes of Vidic and Evra and repacing them with Shaw an 19 year old untested left back and the following season he won the FA cup. Mourinho took over a team again short on confidence and the same season won a League Cup and Europa League. I think there's a massive difference.

That being said, I think managing Scotland and more or less always being the underdog would suit his style of management. However his teams rarely beat bigger clubs away from home albeit they were pretty formidable at home.

edited to add; Agree 100% on the Spain and Sunderland points.

In fairness that shocker of a transfer window wasn't all down to Moyes. A good chunk of the blame lies with Ed Woodward who couldn't the deals over the line for the likes of Kroos and Fabregas both of whom Moyes did sign-off. 

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I think a lot of people are jumping gun just assuming Malky McKay is getting the gig. Tommy Burns and Billy Stark both took interim charge for November friendlies but neither were ever getting the job

I agree. But being vocal in opposition to such an appointment helps make sure it never happens. If fans don't make a stink now, I'd put money down on him getting the job. Cannot be allowed to happen... it's bad enough that he's performance director.

About the only good thing that could come of this interim appointment is that given his development role at the SFA, he should be championing our up and coming players by sticking them in the squad and getting them experience for the next manager coming in. If he doesnt, and picks a similar squad to this month, he should be immediately sacked from both roles.

He'll want the job permanently though - this is all about his rehabilitation in footballing circles and getting back to management. He can f*** off though.

1 hour ago, GlesgaArab said:

Seems odd to me that you describe people that oppose his racist views as closed minded rather than the racist himself.

Too right he’ll have difficulty shaking it off and so he should. His apology was lacklustre at best, I’m sure he caveated it with a comment about it not being illegal. 

Yes we all mistakes and we should accept responsibility for them. For Mackay, I think that should include not being involved in the Scotland set up. Is he such a catch he’s worth the baggage? 

You say the fans and players wouldn’t give a feck, I disagree. You might not care if our national game has a bigot for a manager but you can’t speak for everyone (eg. Anya?).

Cmon, the snowflake patter belongs in a Katie Hopkins (is that her name?) column. 

thats not what was meant but I'm sure you knew that. I meant those not willing to open there mind enough to the chance he may be a changed person. I'm not saying he is nor am I sticking up for him in anyway. None of us know what effect his stupidity has had on his life and whether he is better for it

I don't think anyone should be punished as much you seem to think they should, especially if they have changed. Are you a one chance kind of guy? one striker and thats it for everyone? As I already said he's not worth the baggage because I don't believe he's a good enough manager.

1 hour ago, Saint4805 said:

In fairness that shocker of a transfer window wasn't all down to Moyes. A good chunk of the blame lies with Ed Woodward who couldn't the deals over the line for the likes of Kroos and Fabregas both of whom Moyes did sign-off. 

I agree that there was a degree of blame that should be apportioned to Woodward, but he had lined up deals for Thiago and Ander Herrera. It's generally accepted that Woodward had enough with him dithering regarding Herrera and went ahead to to sign Herrera on deadline day but it was too late. That deal finally went through the year after.

I just have an issue with the suggestion that Moyes wasn't given the same money as LVG or Mourinho when it was there for him, he just didn't use it properly.

I don't think it will be MacKay, I read somewhere (may have been Tom English) that suggested the SFA would want to shy away from having to appoint yet another performance director.

That being said, it's the type of appointment I would expeect from the SFA. I don't have much faith in them to make the right call.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is really odd. Turn the clock back say 5 years and fans would happily have taken Moyes, Lambert or Collins but now they are seriously damaged stock after a number of failed managerial posts.

You'll come struggle to find a manager with no failures.

40 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I agree that there was a degree of blame that should be apportioned to Woodward, but he had lined up deals for Thiago and Ander Herrera. It's generally accepted that Woodward had enough with him dithering regarding Herrera and went ahead to to sign Herrera on deadline day but it was too late. That deal finally went through the year after.

I just have an issue with the suggestion that Moyes wasn't given the same money as LVG or Mourinho when it was there for him, he just didn't use it properly.

I'd always seen it as Moyes was appointed by David Gill, Woodward's predecessor, and that Woodward didn't give Moyes time so that he could bring in his own man. Would explain why Woodward didn't get transfers over the line. Just my opinion though.