Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

5 minutes ago, Red Jock said:

You only have to look at the job he did at Manchester United. Inherited a title winning team including Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Rooney, Robin van Persie, Xavier Hernandez, Michael Carrick etc and in the space of a few months demoralised them and reduced them to also rans.

Van Persie is on record as saying that Moyes is the worst manager he has played under. 

Just now, Saint4805 said:

Stats are all well and good but no two managerial tenures are the same. He's used to managing lower end clubs and so his stats are bound to be affected by that. I know that not many other managers would have kept Sunderland and Palace up. 

You need to look closely at his stats. They are beefed up by his record at lower league level. The higher level he has managed at the worse it is. NO THANKS. And we don't need someone that is covered in shit. We haven't stooped that low yet.

For me it has to be these 3 TA legends. 

Big Lyall Gair as manager- he would scare the shite out o the team so  they would be frightened to lose.

Goldie as assistant - for his shite patter - always make the team feel good about themselves.

John 'Baleo' Hay- assistant . He has the uncanny ability to be up at 0730 on match day looking for ale . The team would always be on time .

46 minutes ago, kumnio said:

If we hire Moyes (please don’t) and he left for a job in England, then it’s because he has been a success, I don’t see the fear of someone leaving as a reason not to hire them. 

Likewise. I'd happily trade in a manager to a big club for play offs or qualification. Contract should have big financial penalties for any mid-qualification poaching though. What happened with McLeish cant happen again. They get two campaigns with a break clause after first.

Any manager getting us to a major championship will become an instant legend and they'd be owed us nothing. Can walk away if they like.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Michael O'Neill or Lambert for me. I don't think we've got the luxury of time for a left field candidate to understand the players capabilities.

:blink:

We don't have another competitive game until next September. That's loads of time.

1 hour ago, Saint4805 said:

Is anyone concerned about Moyes lack of intellect?  Time after time I listened to him say "The players done good". He seemed to struggle with basic grammar and vocabulary in his post match interviews.  

No. That's jist a pile o' pish.

Plenty other reasons to argue against Moyes, his inability, or unwillingness, to speak posh is not one of them. 

42 minutes ago, ACKER FAE ORKNEY said:

For me it has to be these 3 TA legends. 

Big Lyall Gair as manager- he would scare the shite out o the team so  they would be frightened to lose.

Goldie as assistant - for his shite patter - always make the team feel good about themselves.

John 'Baleo' Hay- assistant . He has the uncanny ability to be up at 0730 on match day looking for ale . The team would always be on time .

I often think that there are plenty of supporters who could do the job, and do no worse than the recent lot of managers. Maybe not much better either, mind you, but I'm sure they would do it for a lot less money.:lol:

1 hour ago, Mox said:

I care about the style of football. I'm sick to the back teeth of managers implementing draconian coaching methods and formations that do nothing for us in the short term and cause nothing but damage in the long term. We absolutely need to employ a manager with a clear possesion based philosophy that harnesses the talents we have and focuses on the technical aspects of the game rather than free kick routines or how to deliver the perfect corner, it is imperative. We are already years behind lots of other nations and people have complained about how far we are behind for years but then tout guys like McLeish, Smith, Moyes etc for the job, its madness. Football is about skill, intelligence, creativity, awareness, we've yet to learn that and its 2017, this is a chance to embrace that and if we dont we are f u cked.

Totally agree. Please no managers who will turn us into rep.ireland.  They are the ugliest team to watch, and the moment they come up against a skillful team they can't even touch the ball.  We have extremely talented youngsters about to come through who have been taught a possession based passing game with high fitness levels to incorporate the press.  We need a manager who believes in Scotland and wants to make them the best team in world football, not some one who will sit there and say how Scottish players are crap or the game is crap or we are physical inferior.

4 hours ago, bossman4 said:

I dont understand the negativity about Moyes (not that I'm bigging him up for the job) he got hung out to dry at United, as good a record as jose and van gal had in season 1 and compare that to what those two spent since Moyes left. Sunderland were just a clusterf**k from day one and had been on the brink for years. His stint in Spain you could argue was his worst but at least he had the balls to give it a go, many other managers would have sat on the sofa.

I'm not for or against Moyes really, but the way some people look back at his time at United is getting more and more rose tinted as time goes on.

To say that he had the same record as LVG or Mourinho in year 1 neglects to note the jobs that each manager took over. Moyes took over a title winning squad and finished 7th with it. He ripped apart a hugely successful backroom team and pissed off so many players in the first few months it was unreal. He was given the funds to improve the team, he chose not to do it. United had lined up a deal for Thiago Alcantara for example, but Moyes wouldn't sign off on the deal because he hadn't watched him in person. He fannied about trying to sign Baines and Fellaini and ended up letting Fellaini's release clause lapse and Utd ended up paying over the odds for him.

His tenure was an utter disaster. H wasn't cut out to manage a club that size and it all seemed too much for him.

LVG took over a team low on morale and finished 4th with them, losing the likes of Vidic and Evra and repacing them with Shaw an 19 year old untested left back and the following season he won the FA cup. Mourinho took over a team again short on confidence and the same season won a League Cup and Europa League. I think there's a massive difference.

That being said, I think managing Scotland and more or less always being the underdog would suit his style of management. However his teams rarely beat bigger clubs away from home albeit they were pretty formidable at home.

edited to add; Agree 100% on the Spain and Sunderland points.

Edited by Lion Rampant

2 hours ago, Mox said:

I care about the style of football. I'm sick to the back teeth of managers implementing draconian coaching methods and formations that do nothing for us in the short term and cause nothing but damage in the long term. We absolutely need to employ a manager with a clear possesion based philosophy that harnesses the talents we have and focuses on the technical aspects of the game rather than free kick routines or how to deliver the perfect corner, it is imperative. We are already years behind lots of other nations and people have complained about how far we are behind for years but then tout guys like McLeish, Smith, Moyes etc for the job, its madness. Football is about skill, intelligence, creativity, awareness, we've yet to learn that and its 2017, this is a chance to embrace that and if we dont we are f u cked.

I agree with this, as I imagine most others do. Bearing in mind what you have said, who would your choice be given who is realistically available?

Apologies if you have already mentioned this, I have skimmed through these pages. 

How about this as a starting XI next year for nations cup.  Hamilton; McCrorie, McKenna, Souttar, Tierney; Brown or McClean; McGinn, Armstrong, Burke, Robertson; Griffiths.

Not Sure wgs would have played any of them as they don't play in his beloved littleeng.  Same for the new manager, we need someone who believes in the ||Scottish game and will not ignore the talent here and just pick journeymen who play for relegation candidates in epl because they make a load of money.

Would like McInnes but is still young and will achieve more in the club game first maybe.

McLeish - been out of the game a while but against Ukraine (h) it was a nice style. A bit defensive against the big boys though.

Feel like Moyes is a very defensive manager and may favour epl champ players.  Could be wrong though.

Cannot believe bolton sam is being mentioned with this position.  Total joke.  I tell you what I'll take over the litlle eng managers job and take them to 0 wins out of 10 in the qualifiers.  Would be like Lennon taking over at Rangers

7 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Could a young manager not combine National duty with their club duties?

If so how about

McInnes, McCann or Brendan Rodgers.

I think they would be my 3 preferred candidates.  All know the Scottish game and surely with assistants and scouts could combine both jobs.

Must be good smack that you have.