Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Based on what? 

Post edited, predictive text kicked in

ive no idea if he has learned his lesson, if he hasn’t then no way should he get th ejob but neither you I or anyone else know whether he’s has or not. 

IF he learned his lesson, become a better person for it and he had the right attributes to manage Scotland, I would have no issues with him being manager. His record in managemnet isn’t good enough

Just now, vanderark14 said:

ive no idea if he has learned his lesson, if he hasn’t then no way should he get th ejob but neither you I or anyone else know whether he’s has or not. 

IF he learned his lesson, become a better person for it and he had the right attributes to manage Scotland, I would have no issues with him being manager. His record in managemnet isn’t good enough

Agreed. 

Even if he’s a better person he’ll struggle to shake off what happened and some players might never let him forget it or respect him because of it. 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

So you should have issues with him getting the job on basis his management record is not good enough, surely?

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Agreed. 

Even if he’s a better person he’ll struggle to shake off what happened and some players might never let him forget it or respect him because of it. 

He will always have problems shaking that off, too many closed minded individuals to stop that happening. If he got Scotland in contention, the players and fans wouldn’t give a feck

11 hours ago, Manno said:

I didn't have faith in the SFA to sack him/not renew his contract, and am pleasantly surprised they have decided to change, but I have little faith in them getting it right - whatever that means. I think they will appoint Moyes.

i would prefer that we appointed one of the following ridiculous scenarios:

1) Northern Ireland and/or the Republic of Ireland go out in the play offs and either Michael or Martin O'Neill become available. I'm not advocating their philosophy/style of play, but they get the best out of their 'limited resources' and know how to organise a team, something Strachan has failed to do. Some of the Irish results away from home are envious - Hungary, Greece (NI) Germany, Austria, Wales (RoI).

2) A 'godfather' of Scottish football type appointment - Sir Alex, Walter Smith, Kenny Dalglish - with a younger former international as assistant - John Collins, Gary McAllister, David Weir, even Ally McCoist.

3) A 'godfather' of Scottish football type appointment as above, but with a younger Scottish manager/coach as assistant to be mentored for the role in a few years - Derek McInnes the obvious choice, Neill McCann, Steven Pressley etc.

4) Go foreign. Hiddink, Van Gaal, De Boer, Blanc all available, Advocaat and Laagerback should be consulted. Lars Olsen has been mentioned on other posts. 

All of the above would of course be dependent on the SFAs actual willingness to change and progress.

Ally Mcoist shouldn't be anywhere near the Scotland set up. Leave him to comedy adverts for bookmakers with joke figures like Chris Kamara, that's his level.

10 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I honestly think McLeish will get another crack at it.

He wants the job, no club to have to pay compo, his results were pretty good last time so if he could repeat that in a much weaker group than 2007 there would be a good chance of qualfiying and his dour, defensive play (I had a year of watching it) is perfectly suited to International football.

His "dour defensive play" might be suited to teams without good attacking options  in midfield, but we have a few of them now. I'll be really disappointed if we go for him. Not sure who I'd want either though, perhaps Alex Neil.

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Wow, I take it you’ve never made any mistakes in your life. I thought only Parkie led the perfect life on here? You do understand that people can make mistakes and learn from them, it often makes them better people for it.

mckay isn’t my choice but only because I don’t think he has is the right choice from a football perspective. 

Patter from the daily mail? Get grip min.

I've never been prejudiced against anyone based on their relegion, nationality or the colour of their skin, not unlike the vast majority of people in this country. He has, he is a tit and so is anyone that defends him.

Have I been triggered here?

I sincerely hope the SFA do not seriously consider Moyes. It would be a monumental error.

He would "aspire to be as good as Malta" and "will try to make it difficult for Gibralter" He is a serial loser, would demoralise and drain confidence from the players.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Massive gap between those two spells though wasn't there? 

Not sure why that is relevant. 13 years between Big Jocks 2 spells. It's 10 years since McLiesh left, so about the same really. McLeish hasn't been quite as successful in between right enough.:lol:

Edited by Orraloon

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Not sure why that is relevant. 13 years between Big Jocks 2 spells. It's 10 years since McLiesh left, so about the same really. McLeish hasn't been quite as successful in between right enough.:lol:

Dont get me wrong I would sooner have Eck over Moyes or Mackay. Personally, I would go for McInnes but compensation issues probably rules him out. Alex Neil is an interestiong option and one I would not be against. After that you begin gettingvinto the realm of old school bosses and from that group I would take McLeish.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

McLeish is a dreadful manager that like most scottish managers doesnt have a clue about modern coaching, tactics or indeed how to implement a possesion based style that our players are capable of. 

Odd. He has better managerial record than most if not all other Scottish options and in his first stint won seven out of ten of his matches.

18 minutes ago, Mox said:

I've never been prejudiced against anyone based on their relegion, nationality or the colour of their skin, not unlike the vast majority of people in this country. He has, he is a tit and so is anyone that defends him.

Have I been triggered here?

I said "I take it you have never made any mistake" I didn't ask whether you had been prejudiced or not. Even if you had been prejudiced against someone for any reason..................I'd give you respect if you learned from it and become better for it.

I didn't defend his actions so I assume that means I am not a tit.

List of candidates is pretty depressing. 

Michael O'Neil: Aye, in a flash but doubt he'd be interested.

McLeish: Would have him back if it stops us appointing some of the others - his record at least stands up to some scrutiny. Will forgive him abandoning his post if he takes us to a major championship.

Malky Mackay: F*** right off.

Moyes: The good thing about Moyes is that he has a lot on the line. Making a success of the Scotland job would resurrect his career. One of my criticisms of Strachan was that for a long time I just don't think he wanted it badly enough - he'd had a good career and had little to prove, and didnt seem that bothered about coming up and watching Scottish players in action. Moyes needs to make this work bad and I hope he'd put everything he had into it. Big risk but I don't think he'll be as bad as we think.

Fergie: Hasn't answered the call when he's been needed previously and won't now.

Other than that, I'd be inviting foreign candidates and giving them a fair crack of the whip. A minimal requirement must be to live and work in Scotland for the duration so you can get out and see players.