Thanks Gordon - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thanks Gordon

chewie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, gusmac said:

Is this guy thanking strachan for losing 2-1 to germany? 

Ffs. The poor guy is only trying to acknowledge in amongst all the bad decisions and poor performances there were some occasions when it' was actually pretty decent and one of those instances was an extremely promising performance against the world champions, away. But as usual the black or white brigade are out with their personal insults of strachan, incapable of affording any credit whatsoever. At the end of the day strachan has paid for his failings and that is right, doesn't mean someone can't also applaud what went right. 

Possibly time for him to go but I'll remember some magic moments from his time in charge: victory in Zagreb and then 2-0 V Croatia at home, beating Ireland. The last minute winners v Slovenia and Slovakia and Griffiths' goals v England this year are up there with my favourite memories of following Scotland. It ultimately didn't work out, but I'd like to wish him all the best.

20 minutes ago, GlesgaArab said:

Thanks for making me a better father Gordon. Was so disillusioned with the campaign, missed the Lithuania away game and took the wee man to see Paw Patrol live. 

hahahahaha?

32 minutes ago, they've_been_suckered said:

? is this another “you’re not welcome” post?

beware the boycott :ph34r:

Not quite mate 

Just hoping there would be some respect shown regarding a manager who, despite his many flaws, was also a passionate Scotland supporter himself.

Ffs. Some pedantic argumentative bawbags on here. Is that what you do all day, sit on forums trying to pick holes in stuff?

I picked out some highlights / moments that I personally enjoyed. of course I wasn't thanking him for being too late in picking Griffiths (and others). The goals v England are up there with my best experiences ever at a football match.

And the Germany game was superb. All in my opinion of course. I don't know what you expected gusmarc, but a bit of composure in defence and maybe another ref, we were close to winning that game. And up until Dublin The following year, it was looking good to qualify.

Some folk liked him, some didn't. That's fine. I wanted him gone sooner as well, but it won't stop me enjoying the good times. Most of it has been mediocre, with some unacceptable lows. But I won't look back on his reign like those of Levein and Burley.  His time had come, he had to go.  Say thanks and move on. I shudder when I look at some of the names linked with the job and I hope whoever takes over can build on the last few decent results. 

7 hours ago, chewie said:

While I agree that it is the right time for WGS to go, I'd like to thank him for some of the special moments over the past few years. 

While the failures in Georgia and at home to Lithuania were unacceptable - in the approach to the games, the performances, results and the excuses afterwards - there have been some very good moments to look back on, unlike our previous couple of managers. There was hope and promise that came along with playing with guys with pace who were willing to run beyond the striker. That impressive win in Macedonia felt like the start of something good after years of miserable campaigns. We had a real good spirit but failed to go for the jugular and take risks at key times - and ultimately we all missed out.

Outplaying Poland in Warsaw

Stop you there. 

No we didn’t and they battered us after their equaliser. A sign of things to come. We couldn’t hold a lead against decent teams.

Griffiths was too late, as was Armstrong. Now against Slovania there was no McGinn nor McGregor, which is another prime example of Strachan being stubborn and sticking with the so called tried and tested.

Anyone could see when we played Slovakia at Hampden that the midfield area were running out of ideas of how to break down a 10 man team, yet none of the above got near the team for the Slovania game.

As for saying he was not worried or did not panic before we got the late goal v Slovakia, then he must of been the only Scot at Hampden that night feeling that way. Another silly quote.

For all those slating Strachan , perhaps your energies might be better directed at the clowns in charge , who lets face employed him ...REGAN and Co . Possibly the biggest collection of incompetents ever to be given the title of "The Board"

For my money Strachan should be staying. NONE of the possible replacements so far named are of any use whatsoever . And I sure as don't want that Lennon !! ! 

First two campaigns I give him a pass. First one he only came in halfway through and Levein had predictably messed up the easy games (two draws at home to Serbia and Macedonia and lost to Wales) so really no hope of qualifying in that situation. Did beat Croatia home and away which remains his best competitive results.

Euro 2016 was a tough one. Some excellent results and performances first half of the campaign (2-2 in Poland, beating ROI 1-0) which set things up nicely until it was all thrown away by losing in Georgia (and then ROI somehow beating Germany).

It was a tough group though. Germany (last 4), Poland (quarters) and ROI (last 16) so much stronger than this current group.

This time it was all in reverse. Some really poor results/performances in the first 4 games and then he stumbled upon a winning formula which he should've done sooner e.g. giving Griffiths some starts.

Still a better manager than Burley, Levein and Vogts at least.

14 hours ago, MacTaz said:

For all those slating Strachan , perhaps your energies might be better directed at the clowns in charge , who lets face employed him ...REGAN and Co . Possibly the biggest collection of incompetents ever to be given the title of "The Board"

For my money Strachan should be staying. NONE of the possible replacements so far named are of any use whatsoever . And I sure as don't want that paddy twat Lennon !! ! 

What's his nationality got to do with anything ?

Cannae beat a bit of good old fashioned xenophobia.

21 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You’ll see that Admin6 has edited that post.

It’s as well she got there before I did.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:55 PM, MacTaz said:

For all those slating Strachan , perhaps your energies might be better directed at the clowns in charge ,

Exactly - I like Gordon Strachan.

He did a great job with limited resources.
I would also agree he did a better job than Berti, Burly or Vogts.
The real problem Scottish football is youth development / culture and facilities.
He was never going to fix those in 5 years....

It is easy with benefit of retrospect to say he should have played Griffths earlier.
But that is is a cheap dig IMHO. Often he made good decisions but never got credit for them - take for example his two subs scoring against Slovakia to give us the 1-0 victory.

Many in the media perhaps didn't appreciate Strachans manner.
Personally I think that was them misinterpreting his character - however it likely didn't do him any favors.
With a little bit of luck (Brown / Armstrong not injured!) then we could have been in a play off.

All the best wee man.

58 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Exactly - I like Gordon Strachan.

He did a great job with limited resources.
I would also agree he did a better job than Berti, Burly or Vogts.
The real problem Scottish football is youth development / culture and facilities.
He was never going to fix those in 5 years....

It is easy with benefit of retrospect to say he should have played Griffths earlier.
But that is is a cheap dig IMHO. Often he made good decisions but never got credit for them - take for example his two subs scoring against Slovakia to give us the 1-0 victory.

Many in the media perhaps didn't appreciate Strachans manner.
Personally I think that was them misinterpreting his character - however it likely didn't do him any favors.
With a little bit of luck (Brown / Armstrong not injured!) then we could have been in a play off.

All the best wee man.

2 Berti Vogts, there's only 2 Berti Vogts .....! :sing:  

:)

On 14/10/2017 at 8:08 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

On 14/10/2017 at 8:31 AM, Mod11 said:

You’ll see that Admin6 has edited that post.

It’s as well she got there before I did.

What's up with Paddy Lennon? Guy's got the potential to take us to the Euros.