Thanks Gordon - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thanks Gordon

chewie

While I agree that it is the right time for WGS to go, I'd like to thank him for some of the special moments over the past few years. 

While the failures in Georgia and at home to Lithuania were unacceptable - in the approach to the games, the performances, results and the excuses afterwards - there have been some very good moments to look back on, unlike our previous couple of managers. There was hope and promise that came along with playing with guys with pace who were willing to run beyond the striker. That impressive win in Macedonia felt like the start of something good after years of miserable campaigns. We had a real good spirit but failed to go for the jugular and take risks at key times - and ultimately we all missed out.

Outplaying Poland in Warsaw

the performance in Germany

the fantastic win at Parkhead vs the Irish

Leigh Griffiths

This year's good run

Time to move on and get someone else for the national team.  Cheers wee man and I genuinely wish you all the best. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, chewie said:

While I agree that it is the right time for WGS to go, I'd like to thank him for some of the special moments over the past few years. 

While the failures in Georgia and at home to Lithuania were unacceptable - in the approach to the games, the performances, results and the excuses afterwards - there have been some very good moments to look back on, unlike our previous couple of managers. There was hope and promise that came along with playing with guys with pace who were willing to run beyond the striker. That impressive win in Macedonia felt like the start of something good after years of miserable campaigns. We had a real good spirit but failed to go for the jugular and take risks at key times - and ultimately we all missed out.

Leigh Griffiths

This year's good run

Time to move on and get someone else for the national team.  Cheers wee man and I genuinely wish you all the best. 

Hope you have your bullet-proof vest on. Talk like that isn't welcome here. 

6 minutes ago, chewie said:

Leigh Griffiths

Aye, thanks for playing Griffiths consistently about 2 years after everyone told you to. Will we also thank him for playing Armstrong a year after everyone told him to as well? :lol: 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Aye, thanks for playing Griffiths consistently about 2 years after everyone told you to. Will we also thank him for playing Armstrong a year after everyone told him to as well? :lol: 

Posted at the exact same time as me. Laughable that anyone would try and congratulation Strachan for it.

His stubbornness in not picking guys like that is the reason he's no longer in the job.

10 minutes ago, chewie said:

Leigh Griffiths

This year's good run

You were in Faro clapping him after the Euro qualifiers weren't you? 

11 minutes ago, chewie said:

Outplaying Poland in Warsaw - different game from the one I attended.  Certainly never outplayed them. It was like the Alamo at times.

the performance in Germany - Thanks for losing, even Ireland got a draw.

Leigh Griffiths - thanks for refusing to play him when he was the form striker

This year's good run

TBH I wanted him to go after Faro. I was raging with the Georgia and Dublin performances as we blew it big time.  I was even more raging after Lithuania and Slovakia.  Amongst all that though, the last 2 campaigns have still been more enjoyable than anything else in the past 10 years and I was simply pointing out some of the positive moments we have had.  There are plenty posts and threads about how sh!te he has been. I suppose a lot of you only comment on the sh!te, aye?  I've done plenty of that but also give credit where it is due.

We are still in a better place now than we were when he took over and it is Scotland we are talking about.

4 minutes ago, chewie said:

TBH I wanted him to go after Faro. I was raging with the Georgia and Dublin performances as we blew it big time.  I was even more raging after Lithuania and Slovakia.  Amongst all that though, the last 2 campaigns have still been more enjoyable than anything else in the past 10 years and I was simply pointing out some of the positive moments we have had.  There are plenty posts and threads about how sh!te he has been. I suppose a lot of you only comment on the sh!te, aye?  I've done plenty of that but also give credit where it is due.

We are still in a better place now than we were when he took over and it is Scotland we are talking about.

It's not "only commenting on the negative shite" to point out that Strachan shouldn't be credited for Leigh Griffiths. 

Poland away was a decent point but we could have gone for all three had he not taken off his two forwards and replaced them with Darren Fletcher and Chris Martin. 

Poland at home was almost the same. 

On both occasions Ireland were taking points off of Germany.

Ireland away was criminal - dropping Anya, starting Ritchie and Forsyth. We could have ended their qualification hopes there and then, instead he ended ours.

He hasn't learned on how to build on a lead, he would rather sit on it and wait it out. Too many dropped points from winning positions or winnable games.

I'm highlighting the decent moments to happen over past few years. Griffiths v England is up there as an all timer for me.  Of course he was too late calling him up.  I don't see anyone disputing the bad decisions and performances.  Several pages of the same opinion in fact, which many of you have stated over and over.

You need to give some credit for the Poland games - look at what they achieved in that same qualifying group (and since).  Or, maybe you don't, I don't give a fck. You can moan about it if you want, but I won't.  We lost the place in Georgia and Dublin in last campaign, and v Lithuania H and Slovakia A this time.  My expectations were met or exceeded on those other occasions.

Last minute goals v Slovenia and Slovakia and Leigh Griffiths free kicks v England were absolute stand outs for me as a supporter and regular attendee of 25 years.  Excluding Lithuania Hampden has been an exciting place past 2 years.

1 hour ago, chewie said:

We should've got pumped that night in Dortmund,  especially in the first half.

Agree the Ireland game at Parkhead was probably the highlight of his tenure.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Thankfully it wasnt just me who thought that was ridiculous. If WGS wasnt such a knob over picking him, we might well have been looking forward to a playoff, absolutely no way Strachan gets credit for Griffiths. Its frankly pathetic that anyone thinks he should.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

:lol::lol:

unreal isnt it

Griffiths goals against England and the goal against Slovakia at Hampden - absolutely amazing!

Moments I will forever look back on with pure delight in my heart and a big cheesy grin on my face.

Thank you, Gordon Strachan ?

Good luck with that. 

Anyway, I will try. Thanks for saving me from spending roubles next year Gordon, thanks for resting Griffiths during the start of the campaign, thanks for giving Lithuania their best point for a while, thanks for not interacting adequately with the media. 

Cheers Gordon ?