Strachan's gone - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's gone

Manno

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

we could have had Lars Lagerback at the time of Burley; we could have had him in Feb if the SFA had the baws to get rid of Strachan at the time.  

It was just after we chucked Burley but George Peat wanted Levein. Iceland have thanked us ever since.

1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

we could have had Lars Lagerback at the time of Burley; we could have had him in Feb if the SFA had the baws to get rid of Strachan at the time.  

Not sure if you heard Gordon Smith on Radio Scotland the other night but he spoke about that appointment. Said he was asked to compile a list of names bu George Peat and the board, list had various option on it Scottish, English, Scottish in work and Foreign. Never mentioned Lagerback by name but mentioned a Sweedish manager. Peat scored the Foreign list out saying it was still too soon after Bertie.

2 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Suprised Klinsmann is not on any betting list I've seen.

Also not the worst shout. Under him the US played a high tempo, pressing game which would suit us with our fragile defense. Did well to take them as far as he did in 2014, seems like they've suffered this campaign with a lot of their big players getting that little big too old.

I wouldn't be against it from what I saw of the US play under him.

2 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

i would love an appointment like that. or at least see that type of imagination. I know bookies don't dictate the options but they are normally fairly accurate. and for us its Mackay, Moyes etc etc. Jesus.

Is Jesus in the frame? 

We could be doing with a miracle or two. :lol:

Just now, andyD said:

Also not the worst shout. Under him the US played a high tempo, pressing game which would suit us with our fragile defense. Did well to take them as far as he did in 2014, seems like they've suffered this campaign with a lot of their big players getting that little big too old.

I wouldn't be against it from what I saw of the US play under him.

I agree. Sadly, reports kicking around today is that the SFA have as good as ruled out a foreign appointment - still harping on about Vogts appointment having not worked. Odd that given that Scottish options haven't a blemishless record since then - far from it.

Just now, bossman4 said:

Should at least be asking. 

Agreed.

They probably will ask him but unless he’s skint or desperate for a job then I doubt he’d take it and I’m not sure I’d want him if those were the only reasons he’d take it. 

You never know though. He could be looking for a new challenge and he’d certainly get one here. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Agreed.

They probably will ask him but unless he’s skint or desperate for a job then I doubt he’d take it and I’m not sure I’d want him if those were the only reasons he’d take it. 

You never know though. He could be looking for a new challenge and he’d certainly get one here. 

STV have listed him as a potential, best I've seen so far mentioned. Him with someone like a Gary Mac as assistant or something.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Agreed.

I cannot see him being skint considering the amount of wages he was paid as US manager. Scotland could probably only offer a tenth of what he got paid by them so in hindsight cannot see that one happening.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He got us to a playoff in the easiest group we’ve probably ever had. 

Do you remember the teams in that group? 

I’m certainly not defending Strachan but you can’t say Vogts was the better manager because he got us second place in a group that I could have got us a playoff from. 

Pretty sure we only just managed it as well. Was at the game against Lithuania when Darren Fletcher came off the bench to give us a one-nil win which put us in the play-offs, they missed a sitter as well (correct me if I’m wrong).

Remember saying after the game we could get humped in the play-offs if we draw a good team.....

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

See when you examine the two starting line-ups, it's fecking staggering we beat them :lol:  

Scotland: Douglas, McNamara, Pressley, Wilkie, Naysmith, Fletcher, Dailly, Ferguson, McCann (Pearson 71), Dickov (Miller 66), McFadden (Hutchison 90).
Subs not used: Gould, Graham Alexander, Caldwell, Crawford.

Booked: McFadden, Dailly.

Holland: Van der Sar, Ooijer, Stam, De Boer, Van Bronckhorst (Seedorf 45), Van der Meyde, Cocu, Davids (Van der Vaart 60), Overmars, Kluivert (Makaay 77), Van Nistelrooy.
Subs not used: Waterreus, Zenden, Reiziger, Van Hooijdonk.

That's a pretty decent Scotland team. I wonder how many of the current squad would get into that team? Fletcher obviously, but he was probably a better player back then than he is now?

You’re spot on. 

We had to beat Lithuania in the last game and we were relying on Germany beating Iceland (or ar least getting a draw - can’t remember if it was goal difference or head to head that mattered) as well as we were two points behind them. 

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He once turned down a job purely because he didn't want to leave his home in LA. Souness didn't get the job previously because he refused to relocate from Yorkshire 

I doubt he’d leave LA for Larkhall. :lol:

Never really understood the Souness argument as Strachan still lives in England doesn’t he?

I always suspected that was just Souness making excuses for not getting the job. 

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I cannot see him being skint considering the amount of wages he was paid as US manager. Scotland could probably only offer a tenth of what he got paid by them so in hindsight cannot see that one happening.

Can’t see him being skint either and doubt he’d be interested. 

Stranger things have happened though. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt he’d leave LA for Larkhall. :lol:

Never really understood the Souness argument as Strachan still lives in England doesn’t he?

I always suspected that was just Souness making excuses for not getting the job. 

I heard not long ago that Strachan was living in Spain. I don't know for how many months of the year or it's even true but a whole host of celebs recently attended his 60th(?) at his place in Spain

But if Jurgen is up for it then there's little contest in who should get the gig. Really can't see it though