Strachan's gone - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's gone

Manno

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why would Michael O'Neill give up managing his native country who qualify for tournaments (unlike us) to manage us? Really cannot see that one happening.

Michael is a a thoughtful man. He talked about club managment recently, pointing out that many (most?) otherwise attractive jobs in club management don't appeal to him, since the "manager" is only judged by first-team results. Which would be fair enough were he also to be allowed the autonomy to run the club in such a way as to allow the first team to prosper in the medium-to long term (Youth, Scouting, Coaching, Sports Science, Training Facilities etc). So that if the results didn't follow, he would have no excuse. But he wouldn't appreciate being sacked for poor results when it was really the fault of some Director of Football or Owner etc.

Now I think he'll eventually find a club which will give him the autonomy, esp if he takes NI to Russia, but it still might take a while.

During which time he could perhaps be tempted to take another international job.

On which poiint, he is also an ambitious man who would surely want to achieve more in his next position than he's doing with NI, otherwise what would be the point of switching? And no matter how well he did in Scotland, can anyone realistically see the present Scottish set-up and players getting much further than us? (No disrespect intended).

Alternatively, I'm just "whistling past the graveyard" and he'll be offered, and take, the job.

In which case I'll be crying like a wee babby for a month. :(

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

How can you blame Vogts for the players available to him? He got us to a playoff despite playing them, something Strachan couldnt achieve with far better players.

Slovakia 3 Scotland 0 was the most insipid display Ive ever seen.

He got us to a playoff in the easiest group we’ve probably ever had. 

Do you remember the teams in that group? 

I’m certainly not defending Strachan but you can’t say Vogts was the better manager because he got us second place in a group that I could have got us a playoff from. 

17 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Bollocks.  I thought you were old enough to remember how bad things were under Vogts. 

6-0 to Netherlands, 5-0 to France, 4-0 v Wales, 4-1 to South Korea, 1-0 to LIthuania, 2-2 v Faroes, 1-1 v Moldova, 1-1 v New Zealand humped out of sight at home by Hungary, Austria, every man and his dog really.  

Gareth Willliams, Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobbie, Stephen Crainey, Dominic Matteo, Lee Wilkie, Gavin Rae, that boy Murty.  

If you think that is better than six competitive games unbeaten you're mare thicker than I thought.

Bertie is still our most successful manager this century.

13 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

I would hope (!!!) that the Scotland gig is more appealing that the Faroes. 

To you, me or most people in Scotland/the rest of the world, yes. 

To someone from the Faroes who probably has another profession, maybe not. 

26 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Bollocks.  I thought you were old enough to remember how bad things were under Vogts. 

6-0 to Netherlands, 5-0 to France, 4-0 v Wales, 4-1 to South Korea, 1-0 to LIthuania, 2-2 v Faroes, 1-1 v Moldova, 1-1 v New Zealand humped out of sight at home by Hungary, Austria, every man and his dog really.  

Gareth Willliams, Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobbie, Stephen Crainey, Dominic Matteo, Lee Wilkie, Gavin Rae, that boy Murty.  

If you think that is better than six competitive games unbeaten you're mare thicker than I thought.

Play off. More than the rest have managed.

Beating Holland, drawing with Germany.

Not his fault he had to start with a blank canvas.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

18 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

He put together the best run we have had since the last time we qualified. Which is still going, might not have took us anywhere but neither did the others.

What did this run get us exactly?

That’s right. Hee haw. 

6 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Aye, but it doesn't ;)

5 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

Yet...

4 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Or ever...

2 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

And it won't - certainly not before we appoint Strachan's replacement :ok: 

Just a joke guys.... :rolleyes: 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He got us to a playoff in the easiest group we’ve probably ever had. 

Do you remember the teams in that group? 

I’m certainly not defending Strachan but you can’t say Vogts was the better manager because he got us second place in a group that I could have got us a playoff from. 

Strachan couldn't even get us in a play off when you got one by finishing 3rd!

Just now, Mazziessc said:

Along with the others, unreasonable to say he "did nothing for us" The run HE currently has us on will hopefully be continued. 

Well he has done nothing for us so I’ll stick by my comment thanks. 

A six match unbeaten run which includes wins against Lithuania, Malta and a 10 man Slovakia is hardly awe inspiring and has got us the sum total of sweet FA. 

If he had got us a playoff I would agree that he had actually achieved something for us but he didn’t. 6 game unbeaten runs mean nothing if you don’t progress out of the group. 

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Strachan couldn't even get us in a play off when you got one by finishing 3rd!

Correct! And we have folk claiming that he done better than Vogts :lol: 

Alex Neil - Just joined Preston, currently in the playoff spots. Can't see him leaving.
Ally McCoist - A very poor manager. Hopefully not even in the running.
David Moyes - Seems a bit of a waste. Very likely to leave to club management at the first opportunity.
Derek McInnes - Really doubt he'd leave Aberdeen right now. They're doing too well.
Neil Lennon - Hope not. I'm wildly unimpressed with everything he's done as a manager.
Sam Allardyce - Just no.
Graeme Souness - Can't see it, he's happily retired and seems to have issues with 'modern footballers'.
Tommy Wright - Done well domestically, but massively underqualified at this point. A big risk.
Alex McLeish - Done nothing of value in the 10 years since he left us. Don't think he's the way forward.
Paul Lambert - Has bored fans to tears everywhere he's been a manager. No thanks.
Michael O'Neill - Just signed a 4 year deal, successful with his own country. Can't see it happening.
Malky Mackay - Not sure it's worth it. At the first bad result the press will be on about the texts again.

I find myself not really wanting any of them.

There is one guy available who might be worth it, and that's Guus Hiddink.
He's available, seems to love international management and taking on 'projects', like South Korea, Australia, Turkey. The only problem might be that we can't afford his wages, but he is the sort of pedigree that could get people (and the players) excited.

1 hour ago, AustroSchotte said:

McInnes..Lennon.

Going to cost a few quid. Both have just recently just signed new deals

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Vogts did better than Strachan, Levein, Burley, Smith and McLeish.

I agree with you but don't let facts get in the way of a good old Johnny Foreigner bashing 

47 minutes ago, adamntg said:

No you as well.

I know there were a lot drugs going about at the time, but you people are mental.

McLeish won 7 out of 10 FFS.

McLeish & Smith both inherited a team largely brought through by Berti Vogts

As much as Berti's friendly results were abysmal he used these games to do what most posters on here have slaughtered other managers for.... Giving youngsters a chance and trying new things. These players took a hiding but became better players at the end of it. Faddy, Pearson, O'Connor, Caldwell, Gordon, Alexander, Maloney and Hartley(?) are just a few of Berti's boys who all played their part in the Euro 2008 campaign

His qualifying record was top class barring the Faroes game but can you say it was any worse than the two Georgia debacles?

If as people want the youngsters being bled in then what about John Collins and Billy Reid

Time to start looking abroad. We'll just end up with the same old shite n' onions though, some dinosaur who's "one of the boys"

My pick would Julian Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim but really can't see it, not only because it would cost but the fact we're shite

Edited by DoonTheSlope