Strachan's gone - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's gone

Manno

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I've got little faith in the SFA to make the right call.

It'll be the most obvious and cheapest option available. My money is on McLeish.

Absolutely zero faith. Although I didn't have in faith in their ability to terminate his contract especially if it was a sacking with a fee. 

Fingers crossed for a European name with some pedigree.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Well who do you suggest then?

I can see a lot of people in here are terrified that it’s going to be Moyes or McInnes but nobody seems to be making any alternative suggestions. 

I wouldn’t want Moyes or Coyle, MacKay’s racist controversy will stop him being considered but I wouldn’t mind McInnes. He’s a young, forward thinking manager and wouldn’t do any worse than Strachan. 

I wouldn’t mind Walter Smith having another go but I doubt he’d fancy it and lots of people would moan because he left us before. 

People seem to want a manager who has managed at the highest level, won’t cost too much and is a big name.

Not asking for too much are they?

I really am at a loss for Scottish candidates that fill me with hope. McInnes perhaps is the most interesting option who has done a very good job at Aberdeen. I'd even not be adverse to giving McLeish another go. Moyes - no not for me. I'd sooner have Collins or Lambert I reckon above Moyes.

I'd sooner go foreign but who is available? I can't offer names on that front but am sure there are tasty options out there across Europe who are available.

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Who would you go for then?

I honestly don't know. Without being party to all who would apply for it then it's hard to say.

Edited to add; Had he still been out of a job i'd have been keen for Alex Neil as he always came across as a brilliant man manager and motivator. This is key in international management.

Most jobs he's had he's improved the team too. But I can't see him taking the job now he's at Preston.

Edited by Lion Rampant

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It could be him even if they do. I’d rather see the new man in place we’ll before the World Cup though. 

I don't know if he could resist taking them to the world cup? He's currently 16/1 in the betting. Might stick a tenner on it.

What I see good in Derek McInnes is that he has done a good job at Aberdeen for a few years. Also key is that he is managing in the SPL so he will know the full potential of SPL players so is more likely to play McGinn, McGregor and such-like which is key I think. Moyes does not have that knowledge of the SPL so will look to other options (perhaps) first than the SPL to pick players.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why would Michael O'Neill give up managing his native country who qualify for tournaments (unlike us) to manage us? Really cannot see that one happening.

I can see him leaving them if they don't make the WC and he feels that he's taken them as far as he can. There's absolutely no way in a million years he'd leave them before the WC if they have qualified, it just won't happen.

With his comments about not being overly keen on club management at the moment, I would think he would be interested in speaking to the SFA should he decide to leave NI if they lose their playoff.

2 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I can see him leaving them if they don't make the WC and he feels that he's taken them as far as he can. There's absolutely no way in a million years he'd leave them before the WC if they have qualified, it just won't happen.

With his comments about not being overly keen on club management at the moment, I would think he would be interested in speaking to the SFA should he decide to leave NI if they lose their playoff.

I can't see why he'd want to though.He is managing a qualifying country (his own country) so why would he chuck that all away?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

11 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

I don't know if he could resist taking them to the world cup? He's currently 16/1 in the betting. Might stick a tenner on it.

If they qualify he will definitely take them there.  

I meant the SFA might wait on him and make the appointment in July. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I can't see why he'd want to though.He is managing a qualifying country (his own country) so why would he chuck that all away?

1. He's peaked with NI. How can he possibly do better?
2. We have better players and have more potential. We'd be an ideal new challenge
3. He knows exactly what he's walking in to. 
4. He lives in Edinburgh so will not have to move his family. 

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Mcinnes is under contract until 2019, they won’t pay aberdeen for him. 

Knowing the sfa, they’ll look to keep continounty and give it to McGhee. 

Two years wages of the Aberdeen manager wouldn’t put the SFA off I don’t think seeing as they got rid of Strachan for free. 

I doubt McInnes would leave the Aberdeen job for Scotland though. 

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why would Michael O'Neill give up managing his native country who qualify for tournaments (unlike us) to manage us? Really cannot see that one happening.

He might fancy a new challenge. He still lives in Scotland as far as I know. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The only reason would be that he thinks he can take them no further and he's only tarnish his reputation by staying in the job. I don't think it's likely though.

Just now, adamntg said:

Now that's a bold statement.  Just hope we don't get another Vogts, Burley or Levein.

They all done as well as Strachan. In Vogts' case, he done significantly better.