Strachan's gone - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's gone

Manno

23 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

If the problem is that we don't have the talent available to qualify at the moment, then changing managers won't help. And after 20 years of blaming managers we are no further forward.

That was my point.

I don't believe, after seeing Slovenia, Wales, N Ireland, Iceland and Rep Ireland qualify for recent tournaments, people are still peddling the "we don't have the players" crap.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, adamntg said:

Pat Nevin has made the best comments for me.  "Will they someone as good as Strachan?  Maybe.  Will they get someone  better?  Doubt it.  

Walter Smith, Alex McLeish, Gordon Strachan have all had a go.  You start to think after 20 years it might not be the manager..."

Only if you assume Smith, McLeish and Strachan are great managers.

39 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

If the problem is that we don't have the talent available to qualify at the moment, then changing managers won't help. And after 20 years of blaming managers we are no further forward.

That was my point.

I believe that we do have the players. Cant believe that "supporters" still think that we don't have the players, your opinion obviously sorry but its utter crap

15 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

I don't believe, after seeing Slovenia, Wales, N Ireland, Iceland and Rep Ireland qualify for recent tournaments, people are still peddling the "we don't have the players" crap.

But after Walter Smith, Alex McLeish, and now Gordon Strachan, don't you think we may have more of a problem with the quality of the players rather than the managers?

We have come painfully close to qualifying - and I would have liked the current good run we are on not to have been disrupted. We were having a really good run of form!

Hopefully Malky will keep it running with a good result against Holland. Was nowhere near my favourite for the job but I will get right behind him and the team, as I believe all Scotland supporters should.

8 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

I believe that we do have the players. Cant believe that "supporters" still think that we don't have the players, your opinion obviously sorry but its utter crap

I think his point is hypothetical to be fair.

Like you, I believe we do have a strong body of players (maybe missing a couple of central defenders), and I also believe we produce good managers. Taking his overall managerial career into account, WGS was one of the best ones - certainly more so than the previous couple of incumbents, and his record outwith Scotland was better than Smith and probably better than McLeish.

Maybe a question to ponder is why have ostensibly good Scottish managers choked so far this century when it comes to qualifying for tournaments? Even McLeish did so from a potentially winning position from the most intimidating group we have ever faced.

35 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

This guy has been posting this pish on every thread it seems. It is just the genetics comments rewrapped... away to fhuck.

19 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

But after Walter Smith, Alex McLeish, and now Gordon Strachan, don't you think we may have more of a problem with the quality of the players rather than the managers?

We have come painfully close to qualifying - and I would have liked the current good run we are on not to have been disrupted. We were having a really good run of form!

No, we have a problem with managers who can't manage their team to take 6 points off the lower seeded teams in our groups. All three managers you mention are guilty of it. 

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Like you, I believe we do have a strong body of players (maybe missing a couple of central defenders), and I also believe we produce good managers. Taking his overall managerial career into account, WGS was one of the best ones - certainly more so than the previous couple of incumbents, and his record outwith Scotland was better than Smith and probably better than McLeish.

Maybe a question to ponder is why have ostensibly good Scottish managers choked so far this century when it comes to qualifying for tournaments? Even McLeish did so from a potentially winning position from the most intimidating group we have ever faced.

I just don't think we should be made to believe that we have the quality of players to easily qualify and that the missing ingredient is a half decent manager.

Strachan is a decent manager and the players we have are good enough to qualify, but to do it requires time and effort. 

Strachan and the players put in the effort, but just ran out of time!

I would've been content at them all doing another campaign together with the introduction of a few more faces on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

No, we have a problem with managers who can't manage their team to take 6 points off the lower seeded teams in our groups. All three managers you mention are guilty of it. 

Surely you mean all three sets of players they managed were guilty of it?

9 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

I just don't think we should be made to believe that we have the quality of players to easily qualify and that the missing ingredient is a half decent manager.

Strachan is a decent manager and the players we have are good enough to qualify, but to do it requires time and effort. 

I would've been content at them all doing another campaign together with the introduction of a few more faces on the pitch.

I don't disagree with that view.

There's a definite whiff of 'be very careful what you wish for' about WGS' departure. 

20 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Smith and McLeish could be classed as unlucky in a group with Italy, France and Ukraine. Strachan was/is far too headstrong to change things. Burley and Levein well....

Take Iceland for example, manager has only managed in Iceland. The same team that beat Turkey away 3-0 some of his starting 11 play for Aberdeen, Bristol City, Randers and Hammerby. If they have the players that qualify for euros and the world cup them so do we

Re Smith - those two results v Belarus alone were Moyeseque.

If anything he was even more inflexible and stubborn than Strachan. Brought Weir back which needed handled much much better than it was by both Weir and Smith.

Not to to mention that he was the fastest rat off a sailing ship that has ever been known to man.

McLeish achieved exactly what Strachan did in this campaign, took us to the last game and failed. To be fair that was in a group that the whole of Europe were thanking their lucky stars they hadn't been drawn in.

But bottom line is that it was still no cigar.

1 hour ago, DizzyVizion said:

He's had 5 years, how much longer should he have got?

59 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

Surely you mean all three sets of players they managed were guilty of it?

Nope.

15 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

He's had 5 years, how much longer should he have got?

Euro 2020 with the proviso it was qualification or plums. 

His and the team's work over the last year demonstrated that the impetus was clearly there for that to be realistically attainable.

5 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

W do have the players, just the wrong ones get selected. Based purely on their clubs

Niall McGinn, Josh McGinnis, Michael McGovern and Dean Shiels all went to France last year, the first three made an huge impact in NIs matches. If they were Scottish would they have been picked for the national team? Would fukk as like!

Start picking players on form rather than due to the league and sides they play in, or rather the league and sides they don't get a game in

David Moyes and Alan Stubbs have been in contact as recently as late Friday afternoon I can confirm via one of my sources

I must add that this may purely have been on a personal level, yet again it may have been in a professional capacity

My mind is telling me Moysey will want someone he has worked with, whom he can rely on, who's judgement he can trust but also someone who knows the Scottish game

2+2=?

59 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

W do have the players, just the wrong ones get selected. Based purely on their clubs

Niall McGinn, Josh McGinnis, Michael McGovern and Dean Shiels all went to France last year, the first three made an huge impact in NIs matches. If they were Scottish would they have been picked for the national team? Would fukk as like!

Start picking players on form rather than due to the league and sides they play in, or rather the league and sides they don't get a game in

Can't argue with that mate. Strachan was picking players that weren't even getting a game never mind being in form. How the hell are you supposed to go from not being good enough for the Championship to international level, even from a mental point of view.

6 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

David Moyes and Alan Stubbs have been in contact as recently as late Friday afternoon I can confirm via one of my sources

I must add that this may purely have been on a personal level, yet again it may have been in a professional capacity

My mind is telling me Moysey will want someone he has worked with, whom he can rely on, who's judgement he can trust but also someone who knows the Scottish game

2+2=?

Moyes and Drunken Duncan? ?

13 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

Hopefully Malky will keep it running with a good result against Holland. Was nowhere near my favourite for the job but I will get right behind him and the team, as I believe all Scotland supporters should.

He's an odious racist scumbag and I'm disgusted he's going to be in charge.  If he gets the job I'm going to have to think about whether I'm going to renew my SSC membership.  

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Strachan showed he didn’t have what it took against Slovenia away. No amount of time will fix that. 

Was right to let him go. Let's have some fresh ideas, fresh tactics and the integration of some very exciting young players.

I'm glad he is gone. Let's look forward 

Edited by chris182

29 minutes ago, adamntg said:

He's an odious racist scumbag and I'm disgusted he's going to be in charge.  If he gets the job I'm going to have to think about whether I'm going to renew my SSC membership.  

I would not be in the slightest bit happy with him either mate.

I would be happy to demonstrate and chant him out from the stands, get rid of him that way... if it comes to that. But hopefully it won't.