Strachan's gone - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's gone

Manno

3 hours ago, andyD said:

There is one guy available who might be worth it, and that's Guus Hiddink.
He's available, seems to love international management and taking on 'projects', like South Korea, Australia, Turkey. The only problem might be that we can't afford his wages, but he is the sort of pedigree that could get people (and the players) excited.

That would be superb.  I don't know how much he would cost but he should at least be asked. Worst thing that can happen is him saying 'no' and I agree with most of your assessment of the other candidates. In the meantime let someone like Scot Gemmill take the squad for the next friendly.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm attempting to give balance. Too many folk speak in binaries. I'm saying to look at his entire record, not just the bad bits. 

Like I said in a post at the weekend my mate once birdied the road hole but he plays off 19 and is actually shit at golf....

Moving on it’s correct that he’s gone however I have the fear as who they will choose  to replace him.

4 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

There's nothing I could even bring myself to bet on. :(

:lol::lol:

Mcleish, Moyes and "big sam" seem to be the main names, how utterly depressing. Let's get ready for more of the same shite selections and tactics.

2 hours ago, AwayInAManger said:

You're a comedian, I'll give you that - even if you obviously also have a complete lack of self-awareness.

Anyhow, someone's just come up with another reason why Michael O'Neill wouldn't be interested: having to work with/under Malky Mackay (or some other Director of Football).

No such role at the IFA.

Thank you!   I think I'm funny anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What is Joe Jordan up to now?

Nothing since he left Middlesbrough at the end of last season. 

He must be nearly 70 though. We can do better than him surely?

He could do a job as assistant to a foreign manager though?

I thought the following article mostly summed things up pretty well.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41600788

Strachan's time was both good and not so good. We put in some good performances and got some good results. The performances and the feel good factor were much improved on what was witnessed during the spells of the previous two manages but ultimately he failed when it came to qualification, which after all was what he was tasked to do so it's hard to say he hadn't failed and therefore had to go.  

Instead of established Managers I think we should be going for up and coming coaches. 

We don't need a high level manager type, we want someone who can get a style of play established with the players and who is tactically adept. 

If they pick McKay then that'll be me finished with the team completely. He's a useless clown. 

Scott Gemmill would be a good choice.

Let's face it, any appointment is going to be risky...

I'd give Scott a crack at it. He's worked with the players on the verge of progressing to the senior squad so he would have a big advantage over every other candidate. And we are all looking at building a senior squad out of the youth squads, are we not?

I would give him a target of qualifying for the next World Cup rather than the Euros. Give him a chance to build a capable squad without all the unnecessary pressure that comes with unrealistic expectations. And make this known to the press and fans.

After getting rid of Strachan we are probably going to fall behind again, so better make an appointment with the future in mind.

3 hours ago, bossman4 said:

He wouldn't be working under him, its a totally seperate role.

Sorry edited to add, he does. Jim Magilton.

Fair enough (re Mackay)

As for Magilton, he's an old pal of O'Neill - was his Assistant for a while at Shamrock R, and Michael got him the job with the IFA.

Where he basically oversees kids and schools etc - no connection with the Senior team.

6 minutes ago, gusmac said:

The omission of griffiths from the starting 11 in those first 4 games ....given his form and goals record....its just fking bananas. 

Too short. Can't defend corners. That was what Strachan actually came out with. Worse than the "genetics" line IMO. 

8 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

Fair enough (re Mackay)

As for Magilton, he's an old pal of O'Neill - was his Assistant for a while at Shamrock R, and Michael got him the job with the IFA.

Where he basically oversees kids and schools etc - no connection with the Senior team.

Thats the same role MacKay has got with SFA. IFA are copying the SFA template with the performance schools. I live in NI and have an involvment in youth football here, first performance school just opened up here a few weeks ago. Friend of mine is the Vice Princiapal at the school.

31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Too short. Can't defend corners. That was what Strachan actually came out with. Worse than the "genetics" line IMO. 

Starting to think Strachan is actually our worst manager in the post Craig Brown era. Or am I just too raw at the moment and it's definitely Burley/Levein!? 

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Starting to think Strachan is actually our worst manager in the post Craig Brown era. Or am I just too raw at the moment and it's definitely Burley/Levein!? 

There’s no way it’s Strachan. He got us to within a bawhair of a playoff. 

Levein started a game with no strikers, caused us to be the first country eliminated from the World Cup and almost saw us finish bottom of a qualifying group. 

No contest for me as to who our worst EVER manager was.