Strachan's gone - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's gone

Manno

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lars Olsen - Faroes manager. Their improvement under him is huge. (They very nearly went above us in the rankings not so long ago). Knows the international game etc. Sure we could offer him more money than he's on just now without breaking our own budget.

Would be a brave choice, and in all honesty, not one I'd expect them to make, but would be my choice anyway

22 minutes ago, AustroSchotte said:

Maybe it's Aye:

Alex Neil...Super Ally...McInnes..Lennon.

Mibbe its Naw:

Moyes, Allardyce, Souness + Fergy. Any ageing foreign coach.

New guy must be youngish, enthusiastic..honest and good with the players, AND FANS!!

I see a flaw in your plan with Lennon and Fat Boy.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I really am at a loss for Scottish candidates that fill me with hope. McInnes perhaps is the most interesting option who has done a very good job at Aberdeen. I'd even not be adverse to giving McLeish another go. Moyes - no not for me. I'd sooner have Collins or Lambert I reckon above Moyes.

I'd sooner go foreign but who is available? I can't offer names on that front but am sure there are tasty options out there across Europe who are available.

I wouldn’t be averse to a foreign manager but that can bring its own problems if the manager is not familiar with Scottish players although I suppose a completely fresh pair of eyes could actually work in our favour. 

We could end up with Dick Advocaat though. He seems to drop his drawers for the highest bidder, club or country. 

I would rather have a young, hungry Scottish manager than a foreign mercenary looking for a pay day. 

I would rather they have the match next month (if there is one) to Mcinnes/Wright/Gemmill or someone along those lines, pick a team and that’s it, no commitment. 

After that, they take their time in finding the right man, wherever he is in the world, there’s 12 months to the next matches, even take 4-6 months to appoint him, will still have ample opportunities to assess his squad and do with it as he sees fit. 

I wont hold my breath though. 

4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Now that's a bold statement.  Just hope we don't get another Vogts, Burley or Levein.

Well Strachan did nothing for us really. 

The new guy won’t do any worse than not making the playoffs as you can’t really get any worse. 

Ok so we could finish bottom of the group but that’s unlikely. 

Any manager worth his salt would have got us a playoff for Euro 2016 and we really should have got one this time as well. 

Just now, dandydunn said:

I would rather they have the match next month (if there is one) to Mcinnes/Wright/Gemmill or someone along those lines, pick a team and that’s it, no commitment. 

After that, they take their time in finding the right man, wherever he is in the world, there’s 12 months to the next matches, even take 4-6 months to appoint him, will still have ample opportunities to assess his squad and do with it as he sees fit. 

I see your reasoning but I'd sooner they give the new man maximum time to get things fully organised for European Nations League. I mean surely they have a clear idea of who they want. Go out and get him pronto and move forward from there.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I see your reasoning but I'd sooner they give the new man maximum time to get things fully organised for European Nations League. I mean surely they have a clear idea of who they want. Go out and get him pronto and move forward from there.

Sorry

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They all done as well as Strachan. In Vogts' case, he done significantly better. 

Bollocks.  I thought you were old enough to remember how bad things were under Vogts. 

6-0 to Netherlands, 5-0 to France, 4-0 v Wales, 4-1 to South Korea, 1-0 to LIthuania, 2-2 v Faroes, 1-1 v Moldova, 1-1 v New Zealand humped out of sight at home by Hungary, Austria, every man and his dog really.  

Gareth Willliams, Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobbie, Stephen Crainey, Dominic Matteo, Lee Wilkie, Gavin Rae, that boy Murty.  

If you think that is better than six competitive games unbeaten you're mare thicker than I thought.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Now I know it is not the be all and end all but here are the candidates managerial record of match win percentages:-

Tommy Wright = 40.73%

Derek McInnes = 46.68%

Alex McLeish = 46.31%

Sam Allardyce = 39.00%

David Moyes = 42.57%

Paul Lambert = 39.10%

Michael O'Neill = 43.58%

Malky Mackay = 37.20%

And Gordon Strachan?

8 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Lars Olsen - Faroes manager. Their improvement under him is huge. (They very nearly went above us in the rankings not so long ago). Knows the international game etc. Sure we could offer him more money than he's on just now without breaking our own budget.

Would be a brave choice, and in all honesty, not one I'd expect them to make, but would be my choice anyway

You seem to be under the assumption that the SFA can just appoint who they like as manager. 

The person would need to want the job. 

Sure, the SFA can make approaches to the current employers of managers in work or to out of work managers directly. Doesn’t mean they’d be interested though. 

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

Bollocks.  I thought you were old enough to remember how bad things were under Vogts. 

6-0 to Netherlands, 5-0 to France, 4-0 v Wales, 4-1 to South Korea, 1-0 to LIthuania, 2-2 v Faroes, 1-1 v Moldova, 1-1 v New Zealand humped out of sight at home by Hungary, Austria, every man and his dog really.  

Gareth Willliams, Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobbie, Stephen Crainey, Dominic Matteo, Lee Wilkie, Gavin Rae, that boy Murty.  

If you think that is better than six competitive games unbeaten you're mare thicker than I thought.

Drawing with Germany, beating Netherlands in the play-off first leg. Aye, it was pure shite having Vogts... Much better pumping Malta and finishing 3rd :lol: 

I was at all those horror Hampden friendlies under Vogts and it was time to go for him long before he left. However, he achieved more than Strachan did. Strachan had 2.5 attempts to get to a play-off and had a 0% success rate. Vogts at least got to one and gave us real hope. 

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

How can you blame Vogts for the players available to him? He got us to a playoff despite playing them, something Strachan couldnt achieve with far better players.

Slovakia 3 Scotland 0 was the most insipid display Ive ever seen.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

You seem to be under the assumption that the SFA can just appoint who they like as manager. 

The person would need to want the job. 

Sure, the SFA can make approaches to the current employers of managers in work or to out of work managers directly. Doesn’t mean they’d be interested though. 

I would hope (!!!) that the Scotland gig is more appealing that the Faroes. 

9 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

I like this, Denmark captain when they won the Euros?

Its about eight years too late but Lagerback would be my preferred choice, although he has just taken on the Norway job.

Hiddink, Van Gaal, Laurent Blanc, Frank de Boer all out of work but I can't see any being interested (and I'm not even convinced by my latter two suggestions).

I would be asking Scot Gemmill to take charge of a November friendly (he'll be working with the u21s anyway) and see how the Irish get on in their play-offs; I'd like to see if either O'Neill would be tempted.

50 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Who the Fk wants to go there.

A non Scot manager please.

39 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Like Michael O'Neil? 

No chance, I'm going all Brexit on this one, if you don't qualify to play for the country you shouldn't be allowed to manage them IMO 1f44d.png?

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well Strachan did nothing for us really. 

The new guy won’t do any worse than not making the playoffs as you can’t really get any worse. 

Ok so we could finish bottom of the group but that’s unlikely. 

Any manager worth his salt would have got us a playoff for Euro 2016 and we really should have got one this time as well. 

He put together the best run we have had since the last time we qualified. Which is still going, might not have took us anywhere but neither did the others.

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Next match should be left to Gemmill with the new manager in place before the friendlies in Feb/Mar

2 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

No chance, I'm going all Brexit on this one, if you don't qualify to play for the country you shouldn't be allowed to manage them IMO 1f44d.png?

He'd qualify for a Scottish passport, if such a thing existed ;) 

We need someone who knows nothing about scottish football, an outsider who could bring a completely fresh approach to how we play football and we need to offer more money to gwt the right candidate. Off the top of my head right now there a few unemployed foreign coaches id consider, whether they would consider us is a different matter entirely but Laurent Blanc, Ante Cacic, Pelligrini and Wilmots would be a good starting point imo.