Rugby Autumn Tests - Page 2 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby Autumn Tests

vanderark14

Looking forward to a good weekend of rugby.

Bath v Leicester in the diddy cup (get to see some Bath youngsters as England has called up half the Bath team) tomorrow evening.

Scotland v Samoa (With England (mon the Argies) on the iPad).

Wales v Australia / Ireland v SA in the evening. With France v NZ as the late game.

Then Sunday Corsham RFC U9s & U7s travel to Frome.

Hopefully a roast dinner to finish the weekend off.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

44 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Looking forward to a good weekend of rugby.

Bath v Leicester in the diddy cup (get to see some Bath youngsters as England has called up half the Bath team) tomorrow evening.

Scotland v Samoa (With England (mon the Argies) on the iPad).

Wales v Australia / Ireland v SA in the evening. With France v NZ as the late game.

Then Sunday Corsham RFC U9s & U7s travel to Frome.

Hopefully a roast dinner to finish the weekend off.

J

That sounds like a damn good weekend indeed

It was feckin’ freezing at Murrayfield yesterday. Good to see such a big crowd, and a win was important, but Scotland were pretty awful against an ordinary side. Aimless kicking, disjointed and sloppy in attack, and not good enough in defence. Good teams would have taken care of us.

A lot of new players tried out, but we are now struggling to field a genuinely international class front row with the loss of Nel. Multiple substitutions on sixty minutes (having already lost Nel) seemed preplanned and a bit brainless, changed a game we looked like taking control of into a closely fought game that could have gone either way. Hopefully Townsend has a better plan for next weekend.

I’ve calmed down a wee bit. Pre-planned subs do my head in, but In this instance I’m ok with it. He needs to see the depth of his squad at the moment with one eye on the RWC in 2 years (when we’re probably playing Samoa).

We were about 20 points ahead when he started the en masse subs, so that’s as good a time to do it as any. It was almost the wrong decision!

The lads were off the pace generally, particularly in defence, so they need to step that up, and there is no excuse for being consistently crap at restarts.

We can’t afford to be rusty in the 6 Nations or that’s probably the first game down the shitter after 20 minutes.

Can somebody with a better knowledge of the rules explain something to me about our tactic of taking quick line outs? Why do we get away with throwing it in backwards? Should we not be penalised for "not straight"? 

It seems to be a clever move and we are obviously getting a way with it. It almost guarantees possession from every one of our own line outs, which has to be a bonus. What will the better teams do to counter it? I guess we might find out today. 

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Can somebody with a better knowledge of the rules explain something to me about our tactic of taking quick line outs? Why do we get away with throwing it in backwards? Should we not be penalised for "not straight"? 

It seems to be a clever move and we are obviously getting a way with it. It almost guarantees possession from every one of our own line outs, which has to be a bonus. What will the better teams do to counter it? I guess we might find out today. 

Change to the laws a few years ago, quick throw ns can go back the way. All perfectly legal.