I have a question - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I have a question

adamntg

We are heading into Project Brave, the latest SFA project to save the game.  We have two huge football clubs and several other very big ones, all with decent training facilities and enthusiastic supporters pumping money in.  We produce some reasonable young football players, no more than that.  

I was watching Wales v Ireland last night and the thought occurred to me - who is developing their young players?  Ok, Wales have two rich clubs, but that's a relatively new phenomenon.  They don't really care that much for football, they don't have the football infrastructure or culture we have in Scotland.  

As for Ireland - how many of their team last night played in the League of Ireland?  McClean did, and maybe that guy with the funny beard.  Who is producing their international players?  And can they do it for us please. 

1 minute ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Or, even better, look at Iceland- again. 

Ah, but Iceland are raising their own players on indoor and Astro pitches, with dedicated, paid community coaches. I don't think Ireland are doing that - where do their players come from?  What is the advantage of our academies and Performance schools?

44 minutes ago, adamntg said:

We are heading into Project Brave, the latest SFA project to save the game.  We have two huge football clubs and several other very big ones, all with decent training facilities and enthusiastic supporters pumping money in.  We produce some reasonable young football players, no more than that.  

I was watching Wales v Ireland last night and the thought occurred to me - who is developing their young players?  Ok, Wales have two rich clubs, but that's a relatively new phenomenon.  They don't really care that much for football, they don't have the football infrastructure or culture we have in Scotland.  

As for Ireland - how many of their team last night played in the League of Ireland?  McClean did, and maybe that guy with the funny beard.  Who is producing their international players?  And can they do it for us please. 

I would go as far to say that Welsh and Irish players are generally developed in the EPL or England in a broader sense

8 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

I would go as far to say that Welsh and Irish players are generally developed in the EPL or England in a broader sense

I think you're right. They're all in the English system from age 16.  So - are we actually benefiting from our best young players playing in Scotland from 16-21?  Would they be better served piggy-backing on moneybags down south?

Is the recent Welsh, Irish and Nornirish success down to the money washing around England?

9 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I think you're right. They're all in the English system from age 16.  So - are we actually benefiting from our best young players playing in Scotland from 16-21?  Would they be better served piggy-backing on moneybags down south?

Is the recent Welsh, Irish and Nornirish success down to the money washing around England?

The Welsh, Irish and Nornirish managers do their research and scout their players properly, they create a team who will run through walls for each other. We have a manager who put our game down, puts our players down and picks players based on who they play for instead of their talent, character and attitude.

thats the diffirence

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The Welsh, Irish and Nornirish managers do their research and scout their players properly, they create a team who will run through walls for each other. We have a manager who put our game down, puts our players down and picks players based on who they play for instead of their talent, character and attitude.

thats the diffirence

This. I keep referring back to NI but we have a limited squad of players who all know what they are doing. MON has got a reasonably settled team/squad and if there are suspensions or injuries the replacements slip seamlessly into the side. For far too long our players treated NI games as a 3 day piss up with their mates and MON seems to have instilled a bit of discipline into them.

If I'm being brutally honest I just don't see that in a Strachan side. Inconsistency in selection and a team based on what league they play in would be my main worry for you fans. If Burke, Frazer, Gauld, McGinn, Cummings etc were from NI they'd be in our squad and most probably starting. All your midfielders seem very similar. Is there much difference in Morrison, Snodgrass, Brown, Fletcher, Dorrans, McAurthur and Bannon? To me nobody drives the team forward and all seem one paced. Chris Martin is as slow as me ffs. 

There are some talented players playing in Scotland  and outside the English top flight but until the manager changes his selection policy or the manager changes your going to have the same problems for euro 2020.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

and picks players based on who they play for instead of their talent, character and attitude.

To be fair to Strachan, he hasn’t picked players like Ross McCormack when there’s been a clamour for him and he’s been in the EPL or championship.

People perhaps blame a personality clash with Strachan rather than the possibility Strachan doesn’t like their character/attitude for good reason.

From the Ireland panel last night, James McClean, Sean Maguire, Kevin Long, Daryl Murphy, Wes Hoolahan, Shane Long, Daryl Horgan, David Meyler and Stephen Ward all came through the League of Ireland, as did Seamus Coleman.

Randolph, Brady, Whelan, O'Shea,Hendrick, Duffy + another 4 were born in Ireland but started their senior careers in England.

The other 10 were born and reared in England (or Scotland.....).

Edited by KingGizzard