History - Glorious faulre - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

History - Glorious faulre

romanticscot

Yes it's a bit sad when you start with the possibly 'glorious' (or at least, respectable) failure in 1974 and it's sort of downhill from there.

1978 a mixture of inglorious failure (first 2 games) then glorious failure perhaps in the 3rd.

1982 going out on goal difference again; then 86 and 90 just a bit like routine failure, not glorious.

92 somehow seemed respectable as it was our first Euros, we were in the last 8 after all, (maybe our highest position in a tournament?) lost to 2 of the big teams (and beat the other).

96, back to going out on goal difference, and finally 98, not even going out on goal difference.

Since then I'd say only 2007 could be called 'glorious' failure or maybe gallant or valiant failure would be a better phrase; 'glorious' sounds too like celebrating failure, whereas gallant or valiant implies you were fighting the good fight against the odds.

Since 2007 we seem to have been underachieving (at least compared with the 70s, 80s, 90s) and the failure becoming tedious not glorious.

15 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

First one that came to my mind was euro 96.

Beat Swiss 1-0 with a McCoist goal and Holland were getting humped by England so the GD was fine.

Then with 10 mins left Kluivert hit a powerpuff shot that went through Seaman and Holland somehow scraped through.

Can anyone at that Swiss game remember if Scotland tried to score more or were just playing for the 1-0? Pretty sure the McCoist goal was early on in the game.

we hung back for a about 10 mins after England went 4-0 then we tried to up the ante to get another goal.  For 17 mins, me and my pals (all four of them no longer go to games) were thinking we were heading into the quarter finals at Anfield.  

Scotlands problem was scoring goals, Durie and Spencer  werent  prolific international goalscorers and Booth and Donnelly were pretty poor.  McCoist missed two absolute sitters before he scored the wonder goal.  That goal was probably one of the finest moments for me watching Scotland.  Was in the Holte End, so had a great view.  Place went absolutely mental.   

I can feel it in myself that I'm getting more and more detracted from following Scotland in these campaigns.  I refuse to go to friendlies now, maybe Im just reaching the point my pals did years ago.

Edited by giblet

On 09/10/2017 at 9:34 PM, aaid said:

It's just failure.  There's nothing glorious about it. 

The happy clappers will say Strachan turned the campaign around halfway through.

The realists will appreciate that he'd dragged us down that far in the first 4 games that the only way was up.

Do the right thing SFA. For once...

Will be picking and choosing games from now on. 

Generally go to Away games only. As it seems friendlies are a thing of the past, I’ll just have to wait and see.

That said I had a cracking time in Ljubljana, wonderful place. Shame about the second half.

Feck going to Norway and Lithuania again. Will be keeping an eye out on the draw. 

J

It's amazing what a little bit of momentum can do to generate interest in the team and the excitement of potentially making a major tourney. The recent run did that. However we have been repetitive failures for the last 20 years and have had a barrel-load of excuses whay we haven't made it. There's no doubt in my mind that we should have been capable of reaching a tourney or two in the last 20 years so we really need a motivational manager and continue on this improving run with a progressive SFA. Some serious thought needs to go into the selection of the next manager.