History - Glorious faulre - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

History - Glorious faulre

romanticscot

Euro 2000 Qualifiers 

Play offs v England - End of an era, brave defeat over to two legs to England

World Cup 2002 Qualifiers

Painful 2-0 loss to Belgium and one of the worst - out with a game to spare, missed out by 2 points

EURO 2004 Qualifiers 

Play offs v Holland and well and truly humbled in the 2nd leg.

World Cup 2006 Qualifiers 

Flop of a campaign, missed out by 5 points

EURO 2008 Qualifiers

Punched above our weight, 2 wins v France, dismal showing v Georgia and a final loss to Italy

World Cup 2010 Qualifiers 

MAJOR flop of a campaign, finished 3rd behind Norway, play off should have been the reality.

EURO 2012 Qualifiers 

Missed out by 2 points and finished 3rd.

World Cup 2014 Qualifiers 

Finished 4th and missed out on 6 points, MAJOR flop.

EURO 2016 Qualifiers 

Oh, look at that group, finally they made it so easy for us.  Georgia banana skin again, failure to beat Poland and Ireland in two games we seemed to be in control of.

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

Painful one, team getting the wins, but it was really over after 4 games. Final game win to go a play off, dodgy tactics and we are out. Lose out on goal difference

10 failed campaigns, the odd one or two we had no realistic chance but maybe 3 or even 4 seemed feasible even at the time. 

Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse but there you go.

There is no real point in what I am about to write but it won't stop me. Given we are /were on such a roll, had we qualified for Russia, how long before the expectations exceeded the reality, setting us up for another huge disappointment? Lose to Costa Rica, draw with Syria, then beat Germany to lose out on further progress by goal difference. We'd probably take it now but that is what used to happen in so called good old days.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's just failure.  There's nothing glorious about it. 

Yep. With the possible exception of Euro 2000.  To win at Wembley but still go out was a sickener (the consolation was watching England make an arse of themselves on and off the field at the finals).

Unless "glorious faulre" means something totally different...

Edited by Toepoke

Got back from Ljubljana late this morning - still hungover and still totally deflated ...

The glorious failure thing has worn too thin, I'm afraid ... so will sit at least a couple of campaigns out now (young family, don't need the hassle/heart-break).

Over-riding view from yesterday was walking out of the ground / the bus back into the town centre (beautiful BTW). No-one was really angry, everyone quick to point out that LITH at home was the problem.

Well, sorry, it wasn't. We knew what we had to do last week ... it was in our own hands etc. After the Slovakia game all we heard was that it was a job "1/2 done, meant nothing unless we finished it off in Slovenia". On top of this, we were 1-0 up (in a game we HAD to win) and had +/-40mins to see it out ...

With that in mind, that 2nd half performance was absolutely dire - irrespective of genetics, injuries, no recognisable CB's etc.

I won't criticise the manager or the players (what is the point) ... it is just gut-wrenching to witness another, "last-minute" capitulation first hand in a game where 3 points was the be all/end all.

Furthermore, there were ranking points there for the taking and the possibility of making life easier w.r.t. future qualification/draws.

So, just too much to chuck away in a pathetic last 40mins.

To finish, I heard that Stu Cosgrove etc. stated that the TA is getting older ... he is right ... and the SFA must realise that only results/finals will keep the youngsters interested.

/rant

The Op lapping up the media tag line. Where's does the glorious come in - care to answer?. Like that fkin idiot commentator last night referring it the whole second half.

21 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Euro 2000 Qualifiers 

Painful 2-0 loss to Belgium and one of the worst - out with a game to spare, missed out by 2 points

EURO 2004 Qualifiers 

EURO 2008 Qualifiers

Punched above our weight, 2 wins v France, dismal showing v Georgia and a final loss to Italy

MAJOR flop of a campaign, finished 3rd behind Norway, play off should have been the reality.

EURO 2012 Qualifiers 

EURO 2016 Qualifiers 

Oh, look at that group, finally they made it so easy for us.  Georgia banana skin again, failure to beat Poland and Ireland in two games we seemed to be in control of.

Painful one, team getting the wins, but it was really over after 4 games. Final game win to go a play off, dodgy tactics and we are out. Lose out on goal difference

10 failed campaigns, the odd one or two we had no realistic chance but maybe 3 or even 4 seemed feasible even at the time. 

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The England one hurt because we were better than them in both legs, 2007 we rode our luck but were never very good, the rest are just plain shocking.

I think they were better than us at Hamden.... they came to do exactly what they did. We were good  against Ukraine at home...still my favourite match and atmosphere.

1 hour ago, wheres the pies said:

Aye it’s in our DNA anyway it could worse the Welsh have just been beat 0-1 from the lucky Irish so that will be 60 years since they the Welsh last quailfed for a World Cup 

The Welsh got to the semi-finals of the Euros last year. I'm sure they would take that over 20 years of has beens that never were, Scotland.

15 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I used the phrase glorious failure to mean 20 years as a whole of spectacular failure, or total failure if you will. 

Nut, completely wrong phrase used. Its not the same as what your suggesting. You've used the media line, admit it.

16 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Euro 2000 Qualifiers 

EURO 2004 Qualifiers 

EURO 2008 Qualifiers

EURO 2012 Qualifiers 

EURO 2016 Qualifiers 

There is only 3 glorious failures, hard luck or hit the minimum target in that list.

Euro 2000 play offs with England

Euro 2004 play offs with Netherlands (although there were some awful performances and a disaster 2nd leg in the Netherlands)

Euro 2008 going to the last game in a group with the 2 world cup finalists and a quarter finalist

The rest just haven't been good enough since 1998 and we've now gone 10 years since I could last say we gave it a good effort.

Would be interesting to know for the other 7 campaigns how many saw the team that finished 2nd lose out on play offs due to being the worst place team. Can think of this current one and 2010.

What's disappointing is that we ahve not playued to our potential. We should have made some tourneys in the last 20 years and also one thing I beoeive a Scottish team should always have is 'bottle' - as per teams in the 70's and 80's but we weem to have lost that too. There is always an excuse for going out but th eSlovenia game is a classic example of not stepping up when it was really needed. McGinn/Mcgregor could have made a difference. But then again, I think it was Ritchie that cocked up giving away a free kick against Poland and same could ahve happened. The way we sat back and let Slovenia play and Craig Gordon let a similar goal on to that against England means that the progress made over the last year has been wasted

Semantics I know but this term 'glorious failure' arose in 70s I believe - for the record, when GSTQ was played for us when we lined up before game.

74 and 78 world cup finals when we qualified but did not progress beyond group stages. 74 in particular when we were unbeaten and went out on goal diff. It became a bit oif a monkey on our backs going into 80s and 1998 when we played reasonably well against alleged better sides but f****d it up against supposed minnows. Now, of course the promised land is mere qualification for final stages and 'glorious failure' has become synonymous with the Scotland football team. In my opinion, is used far too readily and would rather just hear 'failure'. Because that is what it is. I also believe that Scots commentators use the term 'glorious failure' in a mildly kind way whilst their English counterparts use it in their usual smug way, barely able to hide the schadenfreude that oozes from their every pore if they have been unfortunate enough to be assigned to a game that does not involve England but where, thank f##k we do not progress. They would much rather be waxing lyrical about the 'world class' of Kane, Ali, et al. Another good one is how they always go on about how great it would be if Scotland qualified. Apparently the TA adds colour but half the c##ts are not old enough to remember when we last made it and they do not mean it anyway. Patronising tossers. If and when we do the term 'glorious faioure' would be waiting in the wings for when we go out, much to their joy.

First one that came to my mind was euro 96.

Beat Swiss 1-0 with a McCoist goal and Holland were getting humped by England so the GD was fine.

Then with 10 mins left Kluivert hit a powerpuff shot that went through Seaman and Holland somehow scraped through.

Can anyone at that Swiss game remember if Scotland tried to score more or were just playing for the 1-0? Pretty sure the McCoist goal was early on in the game.

On 09/10/2017 at 9:47 PM, Dalstrowan said:

Got back from Ljubljana late this morning - still hungover and still totally deflated ...

The glorious failure thing has worn too thin, I'm afraid ... so will sit at least a couple of campaigns out now (young family, don't need the hassle/heart-break).

Over-riding view from yesterday was walking out of the ground / the bus back into the town centre (beautiful BTW). No-one was really angry, everyone quick to point out that LITH at home was the problem.

Well, sorry, it wasn't. We knew what we had to do last week ... it was in our own hands etc. After the Slovakia game all we heard was that it was a job "1/2 done, meant nothing unless we finished it off in Slovenia". On top of this, we were 1-0 up (in a game we HAD to win) and had +/-40mins to see it out ...

With that in mind, that 2nd half performance was absolutely dire - irrespective of genetics, injuries, no recognisable CB's etc.

I won't criticise the manager or the players (what is the point) ... it is just gut-wrenching to witness another, "last-minute" capitulation first hand in a game where 3 points was the be all/end all.

Furthermore, there were ranking points there for the taking and the possibility of making life easier w.r.t. future qualification/draws.

So, just too much to chuck away in a pathetic last 40mins.

To finish, I heard that Stu Cosgrove etc. stated that the TA is getting older ... he is right ... and the SFA must realise that only results/finals will keep the youngsters interested.

/rant

That paints a picture.

Appreciate the effort you've put in to supporting the team... for your service to the nation even. And I hope you get to go and watch Scotland in the next Euros.

Atb mate

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can anyone at that Swiss game remember if Scotland tried to score more or were just playing for the 1-0? Pretty sure the McCoist goal was early on in the game.

McCoist should've had a hat trick in the first 15 minutes! We came roaring out of the blocks knowing we needed a big win, just ran out of steam in the 2nd half. Goram pulled off some great saves too.

Edited by Toepoke