Genetically, we are behind... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Genetically, we are behind...

thplinth

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's incredible isn't it. The line that absolutely buckled me was 'Genetically, we have to work at things' What does that even mean? He then goes onto mention Spain, a team that have won 3 major tournaments in the last 10 years and our sports journalists sit there, lap it up and do not question him once regarding these bat shit mental comments.

He should have been sacked this morning for these comments alone.

21 minutes ago, daviebee said:

To think we were laughing at that Slovakian guy for complaining about their bags going missing at the airport!  FFS that was Glenn Hoddlesque from Strachan.

Aye, we are heading into Hoddle territory here, it is crazy stuff.

His comment is correct in that our players at all levels are invariably physically smaller, weaker and slower than the opposition. Why he complained about it after playing Bannan seems odd. The reality is though, talented Scottish footballer are in all probability likely to be smaller and slower than talented players from other countries. We've clearly got fewer big players who are as talented as the smaller ones, otherwise our youth teams would be full of them. It's not an insurmountable problem, see Spain, but it is a problem. Anyone that doubts it probably didn't watch the u21s and u19s the other night.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

His comment is correct in that our players at all levels are invariably physically smaller, weaker and slower than the opposition. Why he complained about it after playing Bannan seems odd. The reality is though, talented Scottish footballer are in all probability likely to be smaller and slower than talented players from other countries. We've clearly got fewer big players who are as talented as the smaller ones, otherwise our youth teams would be full of them. It's not an insurmountable problem, see Spain, but it is a problem. Anyone that doubts it probably didn't watch the u21s and u19s the other night.

Correct. There is a certain level of relevance of what he was saying. 

There was just no point and nothing to be gained by saying it. Especially last night. 

5 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Correct. There is a certain level of relevance of what he was saying. 

There was just no point and nothing to be gained by saying it. Especially last night. 

Please stop talking shite Mr. Moon. :rolleyes:

Football is a simple game. Strachan’s job is to pick the best team available to him. He’s consistently failed to do this across 3 campaigns and despite some positives, his glaring mistakes can’t be ignored any longer. 

We don’t want him to leave because our players are generally smaller and slower than other teams, it’s because he thought players like Phillips were good enough to win in Slovenia. 

It is a stupid comment, and is going to be used as a stick to beat him with, but I think I get where he’s coming from.

Scotland isn’t the most diverse nation in the world.

I might be misinterpreting, but is he saying we don’t have enough black or mixed race players? It may be an advantage in terms of athletic ability...

Not that Iceland or anywhere east of Germany are particularly diverse, and we don’t travel east well, which would blow that argument out of the water.

Im reminded of playing a Scottish cup tie when I was a kid. We played a team from Thornliebank. We were all a bit fearful as we saw them troop off the mini bus, to a man they were almost all giants built like a shed. Fortunately our coach reminded us that football is played on grass not in the clouds. We won that match 7-0.

Strachan really is a clown at times. Time for him to pack his funny little ideas away and head for retirement ?

40 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I might be misinterpreting, but is he saying we don’t have enough black or mixed race players? It may be an advantage in terms of athletic ability...

Cos black guys can run fast, right? Shite at swimming though. Got big coks anaw. 

Any other racial stereotypes you want to toss out there? FFS :rolleyes: 

46 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, cos what we really need is folk like Philips who can run fast (with the ball out for a goal kick/throw in!)

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

It is a stupid comment, and is going to be used as a stick to beat him with, but I think I get where he’s coming from.

Scotland isn’t the most diverse nation in the world.

Not that Iceland or anywhere east of Germany are particularly diverse, and we don’t travel east well, which would blow that argument out of the water.

You know you're misinterpreting but you fancied a wee bit o controversy. Literally no one on planet earth associated his comments with needing more black players.

I find it remarkable people are on here trying to defend his comments. The man is an imbecile who is unable to put the 11 best players on the park and provide them with clear instruction as to how to approach a football match. These comments are indefensible and beyond ludicrous, the quicker he is gone the better.

4 minutes ago, hauniscots said:

You know you're misinterpreting but you fancied a wee bit o controversy. Literally no one on planet earth associated his comments with needing more black players.

I thought that might be what he was getting at.

I’d imagine others did too.