Team for next year - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for next year

robbo cop

Still feeling so disappointed in the way we went out after doing all the hard work to hang in there.

Looking forward what would be your team for the next few games in 2018 

I would still like to keep Brown for his experience and as a holding player, but the likes of Bannon, Morrison, and Snodgrass would be likely if at all to sit on the bench. Matt Phillips would not get near my squad.

Robertson and Tierney need to be sorted out as Tierney looks out off sorts on the right side so worth a try with Tierney at left back and Robertson left midfield. McGinn or McGregor in midfield has got to happen soon or even both of them in the team

I think McGregor in goal is a better option as I do not think Gordon is the keeper he was and does not come enough for crosses. Barry Mckay is another knocking on the door along with Cummings of Forest. Cannot do much about central defence so hoping a couple of new faces come through soon. Here goes   

McGregor

Paterson                                                          Tierney

Mulgrew                          Cooper

Brown

Burke        Armstrong       McGinn      Robertson

Griffiths

Subs

Mcgregor, Snodgrass, Martin, Cummings, Mclean, Mckay, Shinnie, Berra, D.Fletcher

Archer 

Patterson  Lindsay Cooper Tierney 

Mcginn Armstrong 

Fraser Cairney Robertson 

Griffiths 

Subs: Gordon, Ralston, McGregor, Mccrorie, Cummings, May, Shinnie, McKay, Fleck, Burke 

And anyone else who comes forward and has a bit of potential. Also some of them could change we would need to play them all and give them a fair crack to see how they get on and who does the business for us.

Edited by GordyA88

We have a year to give experience to some players, we really need to take advantage of this.

Gordon

Paterson Berra Lindsay Tierney

Brown Mcginn

forrest Armstrong Robertson

Griffiths

In the squad/give them a chance

Mcgregor, souttar, cummings, burke, cairney gauld, 

there will be some others to keep in - D.fletcher, C.Martin, snodgrass but we need to bleed some player new players NOW!

Never to be seen again - Phillips, Hanley, S.fletcher, R.Martin, B.Bannan. Mcarthur

Think we might struggle to get Brown to stay on. 

Big question for manager is how to accommodate Tierney & Robertson. I’d say either stick with 4-2-3-1 with Tierney LB and Robertson LM. Or similar shape to England game with Tierney left of a back three with wing backs. 

4-2-3-1

Gordon 

Paterson  CB1?  CB2?  Tierney

McGinn Armstrong  

Fraser McGregor/Cairney Robertson

Griffiths 

3-5-1-1 

Gordon 

CB1?  CB2?  Tierney 

Paterson Armstrong McGinn Cairney Robertson 

McGregor 

Griffiths 

We've got a lot of folks who are on the border of the squad and who we will need in the next couple of years due to the age of the guys currently in the shirts.

Callum Paterson needs more caps.
Liam Lindsey probably needs fast tracked, much as Hanley was.
Kevin McDonald to step is as the rock in midfield.
Cairney, McGregor and McGinn all capable in midfield.
Ryan Fraser out wide.

These guys all need the chance to show that they can be relied on.

As for lineups..

Gordon
Lindsey - Mulgrew - Tierney
      Paterson - Cairney - McDonald - Armstrong - Robertson
Griffiths - Martin

Gordon
Paterson - Lindsey - Mulgrew - Tierney
Fraser - McDonald - Armstrong - Robertson
Griffiths - Martin

Gordon
Paterson - Lindsey - Mulgrew - Tierney
McDonald - Cairney
Fraser - Armstrong - Robertson
Griffiths

Happy with any of them, tho for me the 352 is the most dynamic and threatening.
You can swap in names quite comfortably, Berra for Lindsey, McGregor for Cairney etc.
It's time to cycle the side a bit tho, to make sure we avoid the problem from the end of Brown's reign where the whole squad was 30+ and retired at the same time.

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

Still feeling so disappointed in the way we went out after doing all the hard work to hang in there.

Looking forward what would be your team for the next few games in 2018 

I would still like to keep Brown for his experience and as a holding player, but the likes of Bannon, Morrison, and Snodgrass would be likely if at all to sit on the bench. Matt Phillips would not get near my squad.

Robertson and Tierney need to be sorted out as Tierney looks out off sorts on the right side so worth a try with Tierney at left back and Robertson left midfield. McGinn or McGregor in midfield has got to happen soon or even both of them in the team

I think McGregor in goal is a better option as I do not think Gordon is the keeper he was and does not come enough for crosses. Barry Mckay is another knocking on the door along with Cummings of Forest. Cannot do much about central defence so hoping a couple of new faces come through soon. Here goes   

McGregor

Paterson                                                          Tierney

Mulgrew                          Cooper

Brown

Burke        Armstrong       McGinn      Robertson

Griffiths

Subs

Mcgregor, Snodgrass, Martin, Cummings, Mclean, Mckay, Shinnie, Berra, D.Fletcher

You have it spot on.

I'd like to see Brown with McGinn and Jack in the middle. I just think that would be a very good blend of abilities. I can understand those who prefer Armstrong for example but I would like to see it tried. I'd also give Shinnie at Aberdeen a go. 

55 minutes ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

I'd like to see Brown with McGinn and Jack in the middle. I just think that would be a very good blend of abilities. I can understand those who prefer Armstrong for example but I would like to see it tried. I'd also give Shinnie at Aberdeen a go. 

Armstrong should be the first name on the teamsheet and one of the last players you should be putting in front of him is Ryan Jack!  Jack is nowhere near Armstrong's class - absolutely nowhere near it.  We need to pick our best players and that means Armstrong.  You're right about Shinnie though and he should get a call-up when Strachan disappears.

1 hour ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

No Armstrong? Have you been watching the last few games?

5 hours ago, GordyA88 said:

Archer 

Patterson  Lindsay Cooper Tierney 

Mcginn Armstrong 

Fraser Cairney Robertson 

Griffiths 

Subs: Gordon, Ralston, McGregor, Mccrorie, Cummings, May, Shinnie, McKay, Fleck, Burke 

And anyone else who comes forward and has a bit of potential. Also some of them could change we would need to play them all and give them a fair crack to see how they get on and who does the business for us.

Have you seen Armstrong play?  He's not a sitting midfielder. 

5 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Have you seen Armstrong play?  He's not a sitting midfielder. 

I wouldn't want him to be. I'd want him to get forward. He plays in a middle 2 with Brown regularly. Mcginn would be the destroyer type and Cairney the creative and I would want Armstrong being almost box to box getting goals and driving us on.

14 hours ago, daviebee said:

Armstrong should be the first name on the teamsheet and one of the last players you should be putting in front of him is Ryan Jack!  Jack is nowhere near Armstrong's class - absolutely nowhere near it.  We need to pick our best players and that means Armstrong.  You're right about Shinnie though and he should get a call-up when Strachan disappears.

It's all about opinions, I think McGinn & Armstrong wouldn't balance the midfield the way Jack would  (this is with Brown as well remember). If we don't look for balance then we just end up shoehorning players into positions that they don't normally play. McGinn & Armstrong occupy a lot of the same spaces for their clubs. 

Whoever the manager is going forward we need friendlies over the next 11 months and as many as we can get, starting in November. Two years ago we sat for 6 months feeling sorry for ourselves.

We need to try the likes of McGinn, Mcgregor, Burke, Fraser, Lindsay. Get Patterson back in the fold and try Robertson at left mid. The bulk of the squad is there, just need a few tweaks here and there and start to properly intergrate those above and others.

The 3 keepers all have another campaign in them but we need to start planning for when they are become unavailable at roughly the same time.

Patterson coming back should be a boost and then the challenge will become fitting Robertson and Tierney into the same team. CB remains a problem and if the manager can solve that we will have a good chance of reaching the finals. 

The midfield needs to have far more energy and pace than it currently has. I hope Brown stays on and works with the likes of Armstrong, Fraser, McKay, McGinn, McGregor, Cairney, Forrest, Burke and maybe Morgan to make us exciting.

It is all about Griffiths going forward. We need other options but I can't see any outstanding options. Our other big problem position. 

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

The midfield needs to have far more energy and pace than it currently has. I hope Brown stays on and works with the likes of Armstrong, Fraser, McKay, McGinn, McGregor, Cairney, Forrest, Burke and maybe Morgan to make us exciting.

I think this is a big part of it. For so much of the game on Sunday McArthur and Fletcher were trudging around at half pace with their heads looking at the floor. There was no energy there at all.

With the 442 we seemed to really be playing 3 center mids and 1 wide man, hoping that Robertson would overlap. That should have let us control their midfield 2 as we had the extra man in there. But we didn't have anything near the workrate to do it.