Griffiths - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Griffiths

Squirrelhumper

Where's Rossy when you want to see him squirm?

Griffiths is the best striker we've had in the past 20 years. His goal last night was different class and had Harry Kane scored it you'd never hear the end of it.

Build the team round his strengths. Been a while since we had a striker like him. Mo Johnstone?

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Where's Rossy when you want to see him squirm?

Griffiths is the best striker we've had in the past 20 years. His goal last night was different class and had Harry Kane scored it you'd never hear the end of it.

Build the team round his strengths. Been a while since we had a striker like him. Mo Johnstone?

Do you not think he's a bit on the wee side though?

10 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

All correct. 

A lot of weight to put on 1 player's shoulders though. 

We need a nucleus of a team to step up and perform.

i think Griffiths would thrive on the pressure, he's already under pressure to score every week and to perform every week at Celtic so I doubt the weight would be a burden for him. 

I think we, as in supporters, media and managers need to stop going on about pressure and experience. Especially for players at teams like Celtic and even the likes of McGinn at Hibs. Celtic's players are used to hot atmospheres at matches and the likes of MCGinn has played in some massive matches for hibs, he scored twice in front of a packed celtic park.

1 minute ago, AlfieMoon said:

Agree with that but guys like Joe Allen and Ramsey are quality in the spine of that team as well. 

Trouble is, we don't know how much quality we could have in the spine of our team, because we only ever see the same faces doing the same things.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

i think Griffiths would thrive on the pressure, he's already under pressure to score every week and to perform every week at Celtic so I doubt the weight would be a burden for him. 

I think we, as in supporters, media and managers need to stop going on about pressure and experience. Especially for players at teams like Celtic and even the likes of McGinn at Hibs. Celtic's players are used to hot atmospheres at matches and the likes of MCGinn has played in some massive matches for hibs, he scored twice in front of a packed celtic park.

He absolutely does and will thrive on that pressure. 

You could see on Thursday night. He stepped up and drove us on. He was the one that took the responsibility. 

Again, he got what should have been the key goal last night. 

He can't do it all himself though.

Just now, AlfieMoon said:

He absolutely does and will thrive on that pressure. 

You could see on Thursday night. He stepped up and drove us on. He was the one that took the responsibility. 

Again, he got what should have been the key goal last night. 

He can't do it all himself though.

He won't have to IMO, we have quality in our side and we could flourish under a more imaginative manager. 

We've got Tierney and Robertson at the back................still to test Cooper or Lindsay at CB but they can't be much worse than Berra or Mulgrew. I dont think Berra is that bad. In Midfield we have Brown marshaling the team, Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor, Forrest and potentially Ryan Fraser. All of these can supply Griffiths with the ammo needed, they can also chip in with some goals. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

We've got Tierney and Robertson at the back................still to test Cooper or Lindsay at CB but they can't be much worse than Berra or Mulgrew. I dont think Berra is that bad. In Midfield we have Brown marshaling the team, Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor, Forrest and potentially Ryan Fraser. All of these can supply Griffiths with the ammo needed, they can also chip in with some goals.

To be honest, most of the team is fine right now. I know folks are still busy greeting, but we are decent.

GK: Gordon and McGregor are solid, Archer doing alright first season in the championship.
RB: Paterson's been a miss, but he'll be back fit soon. Ralston has potential and Tierney's a capable stopgap.
LB: Tierney, Roberston, Kingsley, Douglas. First two are exceptional.
CB: Mulgrew and Berra have actually been decent. Not as error prone as previous pairings have been. Hanley back playing and Liam Lindsey is now a championship regular.
CM: Brown will probably continue. Armstrong has been immense. McDonald should step in pretty seamlessly. Bannan's done well last couple of games. McGregor, Cairney and McGinn all look ready.
RM: Forrest has been steady lately. Ritchie's in good form. Burke's starting to get regular games again, as is Snodgrass.
LM: Fraser needs an opportunity. Anya still has something to offer. Johnny Russell still plugging away at Derby.
ST: Griff is very much the man in possession, but Martin showed he can come on a make a difference.

In terms of personnel, I think we're in a much better place now than we were at the start of the campaign.

We need to show the bravery to go with those players tho. No more Fletcher, Wallace or Whittaker. Call time on Morrison, McArthur and Naismith. We have younger, more dynamic players for these positions, and it's crazy not to use them.

20 minutes ago, andyD said:

To be honest, most of the team is fine right now. I know folks are still busy greeting, but we are decent.

GK: Gordon and McGregor are solid, Archer doing alright first season in the championship.
RB: Paterson's been a miss, but he'll be back fit soon. Ralston has potential and Tierney's a capable stopgap.
CB: Mulgrew and Berra have actually been decent. Not as error prone as previous pairings have been. Hanley back playing and Liam Lindsey is now a championship regular.
CM: Brown will probably continue. Armstrong has been immense. McDonald should step in pretty seamlessly. Bannan's done well last couple of games. McGregor, Cairney and McGinn all look ready.
RM: Forrest has been steady lately. Ritchie's in good form. Burke's starting to get regular games again, as is Snodgrass.
LM: Fraser needs an opportunity. Anya still has something to offer. Johnny Russell still plugging away at Derby.
ST: Griff is very much the man in possession, but Martin showed he can come on a make a difference.

In terms of personnel, I think we're in a much better place now than we were at the start of the campaign.

We need to show the bravery to go with those players tho. No more Fletcher, Wallace or Whittaker. Call time on Morrison, McArthur and Naismith. We have younger, more dynamic players for these positions, and it's crazy not to use them.

Good post. Only glaring lack of depth is up front: if Griffiths gets injured we're struggling. Martin can't play his role. Hoping May or Cummings force their way in.

Just now, Rude Gullit said:

Good post. Only glaring lack of depth is up front: if Griffiths gets injured we're struggling. Martin can't play his role. Hoping May or Cummings force their way in.

Aye, we have 3 main strikers right now, and 2 of them (Martin and Fletcher) are best as foils for someone else. Either we switch system to 2 up front or we just have to accept that when Griff is out we're a lot weaker.

May doesn't play as a lone striker, so I can't see him stepping in there. Cummings sometimes does.. but he need to become a starter for Forest before we can really talk about him at international level. He's only started 3 of their 11 league games so far.

37 minutes ago, andyD said:

A very sensible and accurate post.

About 10 years ago it was often mentioned that it would be great if we had a striker who was a cross between Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller. Well I think Griffiths is as close as we've come to that. His workrate is phenomenal and he has great composure in the box too. A bit wee for defending corners though...

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

About 10 years ago it was often mentioned that it would be great if we had a striker who was a cross between Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller. Well I think Griffiths is as close as we've come to that. His workrate is phenomenal and he has great composure in the box too. A bit wee for defending corners though...

Also not ideal to have him taking corners - would much rather have him in the box than at the corner flag

10 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Also not ideal to have him taking corners - would much rather have him in the box than at the corner flag

Let’s remember though, he’s set up a few goals due to his exceptional corner deliveries. 

2 hours ago, andyD said:

I agree with most of this, we have had a good run of form for the last 6 games so we should be looking to continue it and hopefully we can go to the euros.

17 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

I just can’t understand this. It isn’t actually that difficult to cross a dead ball. These lads get paid to do it professionally yet we have our best poacher out taking the corners. Sure one other could pump in a quality corner? Mulgrew delivery is usually decent from dead balls. Robertson? Somebody else bar Griffiths.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Get him to shag big Helga from Inverness and we'll have a cracking striker in 20 years.

I would not be at all surprised if he has already shagged her,just a matter of waiting now. I'll be 78 in 20 years time. World Cup in DRS( Democratic Republic of Scotland). Rule change means the hosts no longer qualify automatically. 

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

I just can’t understand this. It isn’t actually that difficult to cross a dead ball. These lads get paid to do it professionally yet we have our best poacher out taking the corners. Sure one other could pump in a quality corner? Mulgrew delivery is usually decent from dead balls. Robertson? Somebody else bar Griffiths.

It's not like he only takes them for Scotland, he does for Celtic too and that's with dead ball experts like Armstrong in the side.