So no game till march 2019 then. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So no game till march 2019 then.

bonny78

On 09/10/2017 at 4:54 PM, Lion Rampant said:

The draw for this will be in January 2018. The matches will be played between September and November 2018.

We'll be drawn into a group whereby were we to win it, we'd qualify for a playoff to make Euro 2020.

After the initial group phase the draw for the actual Euro Qualifiers takes place in December 2018 and we'll play that as normal between (i think) March 2019 and Novermber 2019. If we finish in the top two of our group we qualify, if we don't then we move into the playoff (assuming that we have won our Nations League group).

Got the exact date in January for the draw?

48 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Does the day really matter ? :wacko:

9 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Not really I suppose but the last two have been at the weekend and I've made a bit of a day of it with friends on both occasions. Would have been good to do it again.

I work with a guy that has a draw party. I always thought it was a bit odd but to each his own I suppose. 

The guy also has a Eurovision party every year though so there’s clearly something wrong with him.:lol:

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I work with a guy that has a draw party. I always thought it was a bit odd but to each his own I suppose. 

The guy also has a Eurovision party every year though so there’s clearly something wrong with him.:lol:

I know a (gay) guy who has big brother and x factor final parties. Each to their own i suppose :lol:

His Love Island final party was excellent though, to be fair ;)

22 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I agree. I was quite sceptical about the groups & format until I read it.

Excellent chance for a plan B for Scotland.

I was sceptical when I first heard about it and thought it would be better if third place in qualifying still got a playoff. 

Now I know how it’s going to work I think it’s a great idea. If we make the playoffs (hopefully we won’t need them) then we know we’ll definitely be playing a team of a similar level to us. 

I think it would also take some pressure off of us in the qualifiers if we knew we already had the playoffs in the bag in case we don’t get second place. 

It also means more competitive games to travel to and it will be something different. 

30 minutes ago, Glass Ankles said:

Think it's a good idea but where will the play off finals be held as it says it's a one off game?  Be good if it was 2 legged

That’s the only thing I don’t like about it. 

The highest ranked team in each semi final will play at home and the final venue will be decided by a toss of a coin (one of the finalists will be at home). 

Not sure why they don’t have the semis over two legs and the final at a neutral venue. 

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s the only thing I don’t like about it. 

The highest ranked team in each semi final will play at home and the final venue will be decided by a toss of a coin (one of the finalists will be at home). 

Not sure why they don’t have the semis over two legs and the final at a neutral venue. 

I thought the 2 semis, final & 3rd place game were all played in same country( 1 of the final 4) by UEFA's choice.

3 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

I thought the 2 semis, final & 3rd place game were all played in same country( 1 of the final 4) by UEFA's choice.

I thought I read the same thing on here (maybe it was you that said it?) but I have heard various different versions. 

To be fair, I read the higher ranked teams playing at home thing on Wikipedia so it could be a load of nonsense. I hope it is as it doesn’t seem fair. 

I can’t seem to find anything about it on the UEFA website though. 

This is what I was going by...

When will the UEFA Nations League take place?

The UEFA Nations League will take place as follows:

The UEFA Nations League group games will be held over six matchdays, during the 'double-headers' in September, October and November 2018. The UEFA Nations League Finals competition for the teams that win the four groups within the top division is scheduled for June 2019.

For the UEFA Nations League Finals, the group winners of UEFA Nations League A will play in a knockout format (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners. One host country will be appointed by the UEFA Executive Committee in December 2018 from among the finalist teams.

1 minute ago, scottincarlisle said:

This is what I was going by...

When will the UEFA Nations League take place?

The UEFA Nations League will take place as follows:

The UEFA Nations League group games will be held over six matchdays, during the 'double-headers' in September, October and November 2018. The UEFA Nations League Finals competition for the teams that win the four groups within the top division is scheduled for June 2019.

For the UEFA Nations League Finals, the group winners of UEFA Nations League A will play in a knockout format (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners. One host country will be appointed by the UEFA Executive Committee in December 2018 from among the finalist teams.

I think that’s just for the finals of the Nations League though which will be the winners of the four groups in League A.

13 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Here was me thinking I was getting my head round it. :lol:

:lol:

The only thing that’s not 100% clear for me is the format of the playoffs. Unless Wikipedia is correct then I am clear on it although I don’t like it. 

Unless we play our semi and the final at Hampden. Then I would like it just fine. 

;)

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think most five year olds would understand it easily enough. 

Except where the playoffs are going to be played.....:lol:

5 years olds are very capable of understanding new concepts. A lot of 30 to 40 year olds struggle a wee bit. Most over 50s have nae chance.:lol: