Strikers for next campaign - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers for next campaign

er yir macaroon

On 10/23/2017 at 9:25 PM, theweestevie said:

I wasn't saying McKay should play, i was just making the point that him playing at that level shouldn't prevent him from getting called up.

I'm not sure anyone's suggested that we shouldn't call up English Championship players.

If he continues to do well at that level, then I'm sure folk will begin to agree he deserves a call, but 10 games isn't enough.

For me there's kind of two tiers in terms of our wingers.

1) Forrest, Fraser, Ritchie, Phillips.
For me they've all proved capable at top levels for their clubs. They're probably the main pool we should be picking from.

Below them there's a group of players who are 'positioned to challenge' if you like.
2) Oli Burke, Jamie Murphy, Johnny Russell, Gary Mackay-Steven, Barrie McKay, Ryan Christie.

The two missing names are Anya, who seems to have become more of a utility player, and I'd have him in the squad just for that. and Snodgrass who, for me, is better in the number 10 role, how we use Armstrong. Doesn't have the pace to play wide at international level.

Any of the lot in that 2nd group feel like they could challenge for a call up, even a start, during the next campaign. Their club form is going to have to prove that they deserve it tho. Christie, McKay and Russell are probably the best positioned to do that right now.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

I'm not sure anyone's suggested that we shouldn't call up English Championship players.

If he continues to do well at that level, then I'm sure folk will begin to agree he deserves a call, but 10 games isn't enough.

For me there's kind of two tiers in terms of our wingers.

1) Forrest, Fraser, Ritchie, Phillips.
For me they've all proved capable at top levels for their clubs. They're probably the main pool we should be picking from.

Below them there's a group of players who are 'positioned to challenge' if you like.
2) Oli Burke, Jamie Murphy, Johnny Russell, Gary Mackay-Steven, Barrie McKay, Ryan Christie.

The two missing names are Anya, who seems to have become more of a utility player, and I'd have him in the squad just for that. and Snodgrass who, for me, is better in the number 10 role, how we use Armstrong. Doesn't have the pace to play wide at international level.

Any of the lot in that 2nd group feel like they could challenge for a call up, even a start, during the next campaign. Their club form is going to have to prove that they deserve it tho. Christie, McKay and Russell are probably the best positioned to do that right now.

The post I originally quoted said that they laughed at someone for suggesting that a player playing for a team 12th in the championship should be playing up front for Scotland.

Anyway for me, I would have Griffiths, May and Cummings as the pool of strikers. While May and Cummings may not be the best options just now I would get them into the set-up early and get them used to being in and around the squad. Every time  I have seen these 3 play it always look like they are capable of scoring a goal from nothing.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:11 PM, theweestevie said:

The post I originally quoted said that they laughed at someone for suggesting that a player playing for a team 12th in the championship should be playing up front for Scotland.

Anyway for me, I would have Griffiths, May and Cummings as the pool of strikers. While May and Cummings may not be the best options just now I would get them into the set-up early and get them used to being in and around the squad. Every time  I have seen these 3 play it always look like they are capable of scoring a goal from nothing.

Well, suggesting McKay as a centerforward does kinda deserve to be laughed at tbh. His end product has always been his problem historically, and his shooting particularly has been fairly wild over the years.

In terms for the striker pool,

Griff is obviously in.
Martin deserves a squad place, he made a game winning difference a couple of times in the last campaign.

Beyond that it's very much up for grabs.
Fletcher and Rhodes will depend on form/game time. Naismith looks like he may be very near the end of his career.
May and Cummings are outsiders right now, both yet to really click in front of goal for their respective clubs.
I can see McBurnie getting fast tracked in, because of the young players we have he seems the best suited to playing as a lone striker.

Obviously, if the new manager opts for a different system, then maybe things change, but that's a ll a bit unknown right now.

Griffiths is no. 1 for sure.

If burke gets going at WBA, i think he would be the second choice through the middle, seems to do well for the u21s there.

Others - apart from maybe C. Martin and Jason Cummings there is not a lot of options. 

Time to forget about the strachan era guys - fletcher, naismith, rhodes 

11 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Griffiths is no. 1 for sure.

If burke gets going at WBA, i think he would be the second choice through the middle, seems to do well for the u21s there.

Others - apart from maybe C. Martin and Jason Cummings there is not a lot of options. 

Time to forget about the strachan era guys - fletcher, naismith, rhodes 

I agree about Naismith and Fletcher but Rhodes is only 27. His best years could still be ahead of him. 

A lot will depend on the system the new manager goes with. 

I’d like to see us go 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1 like we did v england. Alternatively 4-4-1-1.  No wingers... don’t think any of them are up to much,.  Right now with everyone fit I would go

gordon or mcgregor

patterson Berra mulgrew Tierney robertson

Brown   Morrison  armstrong

Snodgrass

Griffiths 

Or

Push robertson in to a midfield role to make it 4 and stick Tierney at lb

Couple of players doing well in the Championship at the moment, Matt Smith at QPR and Jamie Paterson at Bristol City. Both have been atound a bit, I don't know how central Paterson plays nowadays but I think he played down the middle when he was at Forest, Smith is very much a target man, good in the air. I wouldn't expect either to be called up unless there are injuries but at the minute they're probably performing as well as Rhodes, Fletcher, Martin and Cummings who are all in the same division.