Strikers for next campaign - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers for next campaign

er yir macaroon

4 minutes ago, Bino's said:

he's been used by Rogers as a striker a few times...

Yeah but that didn’t last for long. 

I remember Rodgers starting him up front ahead of Griffiths against Rosenberg and he scored the winner I think. 

I wouldn’t start him up front for us though unless we have a serious injury crisis. 

He’s normally pretty average in his preferred position on the wing for us never mind playing him as a centre forward. 

4 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Laugh all you want-arrogant wallpaper. McKay is one of the top performers in the championship & scored again today. We need our best footballers in the squad. 

How do you know his wallpaper is arrogant? :lol:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. 

McKay is a good player but too inconsistent at the moment. If he keeps performing well then I’m sure he’ll get into the squad again pretty soon. 

On 10/18/2017 at 7:15 PM, scottincarlisle said:

Surely if Rhodes were playing he'd get a chance now Strachan has gone ?

What has Rhodes done at club level in last two years to even warrant a call up?

He scored loads at Huddersfield and Blackburn but did nothing at Boro and just warms the bench at Sheff Weds now so looks like a career that has just stalled.

Chris Martin gets loads of stick but he contributed in this campaign and is still a reasonably decent championship striker even if he's not in the Derby team atm so I have no issue with him being the back up for the next campaign.

20 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Laugh all you want-arrogant wallpaper. McKay is one of the top performers in the championship & scored again today. We need our best footballers in the squad. 

I never said he wasn’t a good player. He’s not a striker though. 

15 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

What has Rhodes done at club level in last two years to even warrant a call up?

He scored loads at Huddersfield and Blackburn but did nothing at Boro and just warms the bench at Sheff Weds now so looks like a career that has just stalled.

Chris Martin gets loads of stick but he contributed in this campaign and is still a reasonably decent championship striker even if he's not in the Derby team atm so I have no issue with him being the back up for the next campaign.

so Rhodes shouldn't get a chance because he's back up at a championship club

but Martin should get a further chance even though he's back up at a championship club

He scored a decent amount for Fulham last season.

I think he offers more than Rhodes at international level. Rhodes in his few starts hardly got into the game.

Think Scotland need to move away from continually calling up players who've seen better days in their career. Rhodes and Stephen Fletcher would be two. Arguably Darren Fletcher is another but depends on whether Brown plays on for another campaign.

10 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He scored a decent amount for Fulham last season.

I think he offers more than Rhodes at international level. Rhodes in his few starts hardly got into the game.

Think Scotland need to move away from continually calling up players who've seen better days in their career. Rhodes and Stephen Fletcher would be two. Arguably Darren Fletcher is another but depends on whether Brown plays on for another campaign.

I’m not sure I’d write Rhodes off just yet. He’s only 27. 

On 10/21/2017 at 6:18 PM, Scotsdeutsch said:

McKay is one of the top performers in the championship

Umm is there any actual evidence to back that up?

11 games, 2 goals, 4 assists.

Jota has 7 goals, 4 assists.. he's one of the best performers in the championships.

The likes of luke freeman (never heard of him) has 2 goals, 5 assists.. so does jamie paterson (who? possibly eligible for us).

So if 'one of the best' in your book is "worse than a couple of nobodies" then aye, i'm right with you.

32 minutes ago, andyD said:

Jota has 7 goals, 4 assists.. he's one of the best performers in the championships.

The likes of luke freeman (never heard of him) has 2 goals, 5 assists.. so does jamie paterson (who? possibly eligible for us).

So if 'one of the best' in your book is "worse than a couple of nobodies" then aye, i'm right with you.

3 goals and 5 assists. He's not a striker though, so i'm not sure why he's being discussed.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

OKAY 'D' I didn't say 'one of the best' I said 'one of the top performers'. If you're going to be as sad and pedantic as to actually take the time and effort to look up baseless statistics to substantiate your points then at least make your quotes accurate. Mckay is viewed by forest fans as a top performer this season, they're not basing their opinion on opta stats though.

Also Parklife you strike me as the wee fanny in the gang that sticks two fingers up at his rivals when he's about a mile away from danger.

4 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

OKAY 'D' I didn't say 'one of the best' I said 'one of the top performers'. If you're going to be as sad and pedantic as to actually take the time and effort to look up baseless statistics to substantiate your points then at least make your quotes accurate. Mckay is viewed by forest fans as a top performer this season, they're not basing their opinion on opta stats though.

" McKay is one of the top performers in the championship "
has turned into
"well thought of by fans of a very average championship side"

Got nothing against McKay, but up to now he's flattered to deceive. His end product has been very poor for years and that he's had a decent first 10 games is great.. but it shouldn't earn him a call up tho.

21 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Also Parklife you strike me as the wee fanny in the gang that sticks two fingers up at his rivals when he's about a mile away from danger.

Aye, nae bother, big man.  :lol: 

I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt when i laughed at you for suggesting that an average winger, who plays for the 12th best team in the English Championship should be playing up front for Scotland. 

51 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Aye, nae bother, big man.  :lol: 

I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt when i laughed at you for suggesting that an average winger, who plays for the 12th best team in the English Championship should be playing up front for Scotland. 

Is it that far fetched? After all we have  a player that is playing for a team in 6th in the league below who starts...

54 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Is it that far fetched? After all we have  a player that is playing for a team in 6th in the league below who starts...

To be fair, he starts in the position he plays for his club, a position he's played for much of his 12 year career, which spans two dozen champions league and europa league games, 2 titles, one cup , and english championship playoff and numerous internationals where he's done well.

it seems a bit unfair to equate that to taking a guy who's barely kicked a ball at a competitive level and playing that guy out of position.

37 minutes ago, andyD said:

To be fair, he starts in the position he plays for his club, a position he's played for much of his 12 year career, which spans two dozen champions league and europa league games, 2 titles, one cup , and english championship playoff and numerous internationals where he's done well.

it seems a bit unfair to equate that to taking a guy who's barely kicked a ball at a competitive level and playing that guy out of position.

:ok: 

5 hours ago, andyD said:

I wasn't saying McKay should play, i was just making the point that him playing at that level shouldn't prevent him from getting called up.

I think he has the talent and ability to play for Scotland, but he doesn't have the consistency, confidence or mental strength.