Strikers for next campaign - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers for next campaign

er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Not sure Ted McMinn is the answer. Doesn't have the legs these days.

If we don't have qualifiers for 18 months then we need to look at including some of the younger players. I would have liked Oliver Burke to come on last night....purely for that pace. Wales have included the Woodburn boy at 17.............where are we with McTominay, Sammut, Gilmour, Souttar ? Liam Lindsey seems to getting some mentions here, as does the young centre half at Aberdeen. I'd be tempted to get them all included in squads now, with a view to them having some international experience in 2 years time, when it's going to count.

We do. The Nations' League begins in less than a year and it is effectively a qualifying tournament for Euro 2020

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Normally, I'd agree with that but our need to bed in young players especially in weak areas such as central defence is desperate. 

He’s played twice for Rangers and in one of those he got his arse handed to him. It’s only because he’s at Rangers and the Glasgow media are chugging over him that he’s even being discussed here. 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He’s played twice for Rangers and in one of those he got his arse handed to him. It’s only because he’s at Rangers and the Glasgow media are chugging over him that he’s even being discussed here. 

Okay but we need young options now. Our central defenders we have presently are now well into their 30s and Grant Hanley wsits in the wings to take over. Frightening.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay but we need young options now. Our central defenders we have presently are now well into their 30s and Grant Hanley wsits in the wings to take over. Frightening.

Liam Lindsay and John souttar are the obvious options for the future as they have game time under their belts but it's not a sure thing that they will be good enough to step up, especially souttar who looks inconsistent at spfl level. Hopefully mccrorie or Harry souttar can make the grade because it's a position we are lacking big time.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree. I’m also all for promoting promising players early. I’d just like to at least ensure that the boy isn’t a complete haddie first :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Think Oli Burke will be given a run out there.

I know he's played more on the wing but needs must and he is quick and physically strong so got the raw attributes for it.

Yeh I agree, it might be an option incase Griffith's gets injured. He has played up front in the u21 s as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

We're in the position whereby we've so many good midfielders it's criminal to leave some out esp the ones who can also play up front so I'd want any new manager to pick Barrie McKay up front. The strikers for the next campaign should be griffiths, McKay & Martin as cover. 

6 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

We're in the position whereby we've so many good midfielders it's criminal to leave some out esp the ones who can also play up front so I'd want any new manager to pick Barrie McKay up front. The strikers for the next campaign should be griffiths, McKay & Martin as cover. 

Barrie Mckay upfront? I'm not sure if this is a joke or serious.

17 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

:lol: Good one. 

we really do look light up top, and it is a bit of a worry with Martin, Fletcher and Rhodes struggling for game time and goals! If Cummings starts scoring a few down at Nottingham Forest then there is no reason why he shouldn't at least be looked at.

I'd assume Stevie May would also come into the running at some stage.

In terms of Younger players, McBurnie and Hardie both look like they have plenty potential, but both need to start getting some playing time!

On 10/18/2017 at 7:17 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh he probably should but only if Griffith's gets injured. If Griffith's gets injured then we are fukked.

Rhodes is currently injured and has been very much off form since joining Sheffield Wednesday in January. He's notched 5 goals in 31 games, and while more recently he's been used off the bench, he did have 3 solid months of being a starter. The general view is that his confidence is utterly shot at the moment as he's missing chances you would really have expected him to put away with ease.

If that's the case, coupled with the fact that he's not a first choice player anymore, it might be a while before he actually finds some form and starts challenging for a call up again. A shame, because he is a massive talent, and he still has the fantastic movement that gets him in the position to score goals.Just going to take some time to get his head right, I think.

5 hours ago, andyD said:

Rhodes is currently injured and has been very much off form since joining Sheffield Wednesday in January. He's notched 5 goals in 31 games, and while more recently he's been used off the bench, he did have 3 solid months of being a starter. The general view is that his confidence is utterly shot at the moment as he's missing chances you would really have expected him to put away with ease.

If that's the case, coupled with the fact that he's not a first choice player anymore, it might be a while before he actually finds some form and starts challenging for a call up again. A shame, because he is a massive talent, and he still has the fantastic movement that gets him in the position to score goals.Just going to take some time to get his head right, I think.

In fact I'm beginning to struggle to remember the last time Rhodes scored goals consistently. His time with Boro wasn't a success, played six league games for Boro in 2016-17 without a single goal, it will have been a frustrating eighteen months or so

49 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Forget about Rhodes, just not good enough.

I find that to be a bit of a silly statement.

Joint 2nd for highest number of goals scored in a Championship season.
3rd in the all time Championship scorers list (only 24 behind the leader despite having played over 100 games less).
Highest goals per minute of any of the top 10 all time Championship scorers.

He's a quality player, questioning that is a bit pointless.

You mischaracterise his time at Middlesboro a bit. After he moved there he took a little time to settle, but finished the season with 5 goals and 2 assist in his last 8 games, a big factor in ensuring they got automatic promotion, ahead of Brighton on goal difference.

Once in the Premier League he was benched in favour of Negredo (who has 1 goal every 2 games for Spain), which is hardly shameful. I'll give you that he's not as good as Negredo.. but then neither is Griffiths, so it's again a bit pointless to compare.

He moved to Wednesday and they just don't play a style that suits him. They essentially have no wingers, so the supply of crossed that he fed off for much of his career just disappeared. Wednesday have also, since the start of last season, played a very slow, deliberate style, something that despite making the playoffs twice in the last two years has the fans largely wanting rid of the manager.

You can look at his most recent game (he came on for the 2nd half) against Bolton as a decent representation of how he's doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhESfMMYIU

He gets 4 changes. Two are basically half chances where the keeper's done well, one he should probably put away at the far post (tho it's rising and he's had to jump just to get to it, it's not easy) and the other is stopped by a handball but results in a goal anyway. He's had a few like that where he's shot, and it's been saved but someone else has put away the rebound. Luck's not with him right now, but if he can get in regularly (which could have been possible right now, if not for Rhodes injury, due to Fletcher's form) then I think he can get firing again. Current manager, Carvalhal, seems very much in love with Hooper and Fletcher right now, but Fletcher's 2 goals and 1 assist in 11 must be making it hard to carry on with that, regardless of how well Hooper is playing. A new manager would likely make Rhodes a priority given his history.

5 hours ago, andyD said:

I find that to be a bit of a silly statement.

Joint 2nd for highest number of goals scored in a Championship season.
3rd in the all time Championship scorers list (only 24 behind the leader despite having played over 100 games less).
Highest goals per minute of any of the top 10 all time Championship scorers.

He's a quality player, questioning that is a bit pointless.

You mischaracterise his time at Middlesboro a bit. After he moved there he took a little time to settle, but finished the season with 5 goals and 2 assist in his last 8 games, a big factor in ensuring they got automatic promotion, ahead of Brighton on goal difference.

Once in the Premier League he was benched in favour of Negredo (who has 1 goal every 2 games for Spain), which is hardly shameful. I'll give you that he's not as good as Negredo.. but then neither is Griffiths, so it's again a bit pointless to compare.

He moved to Wednesday and they just don't play a style that suits him. They essentially have no wingers, so the supply of crossed that he fed off for much of his career just disappeared. Wednesday have also, since the start of last season, played a very slow, deliberate style, something that despite making the playoffs twice in the last two years has the fans largely wanting rid of the manager.

You can look at his most recent game (he came on for the 2nd half) against Bolton as a decent representation of how he's doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhESfMMYIU

He gets 4 changes. Two are basically half chances where the keeper's done well, one he should probably put away at the far post (tho it's rising and he's had to jump just to get to it, it's not easy) and the other is stopped by a handball but results in a goal anyway. He's had a few like that where he's shot, and it's been saved but someone else has put away the rebound. Luck's not with him right now, but if he can get in regularly (which could have been possible right now, if not for Rhodes injury, due to Fletcher's form) then I think he can get firing again. Current manager, Carvalhal, seems very much in love with Hooper and Fletcher right now, but Fletcher's 2 goals and 1 assist in 11 must be making it hard to carry on with that, regardless of how well Hooper is playing. A new manager would likely make Rhodes a priority given his history.

we just don't know how Rhodes would have been for us

Strachan never gave him a chance

and before the formation is cited

the 451 with an isolated striker didn't suit Fletcher or Martin either

6 minutes ago, Bino's said:

we just don't know how Rhodes would have been for us

Strachan never gave him a chance

and before the formation is cited

the 451 with an isolated striker didn't suit Fletcher or Martin either

He’s still only 27 or something so could still become a big player for us. 

Griffiths is our main striker now obviously but with injuries or whatever he’s not going to play every game for us and we will need cover. 

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s still only 27 or something so could still become a big player for us. 

Griffiths is our main striker now obviously but with injuries or whatever he’s not going to play every game for us and we will need cover. 

James Forrest?