Strikers for next campaign - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers for next campaign

er yir macaroon

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

We have a reasonable pool of midfielders and full backs. We do have some good centre halves emerging but they're 5 years off, but what about strikers? Griffiths is our best striker since Mo Johnston, but what if he's injured? Chris Martin and Stevie May I suppose, but is that it?

Jason Cummings should be getting a look. Playing as much as anyone at Forrest.

2 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Steven Fletcher, Snoddy's played there, I'm sure Matt Phillips played there for West Brom, Jason Cummings def worth a shout. I hope Naismith and McCormack get their act together quickly. 

Steven Fletcher? Are you kidding?

4 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Steven Fletcher, Snoddy's played there, I'm sure Matt Phillips played there for West Brom, Jason Cummings def worth a shout. I hope Naismith and McCormack get their act together quickly. 

Got to be a wind-up... 

Fletcher. Naismith and McCormack are all past it (if they ever had it in the first place), Matt Phillips is terrible and a winger. Snoddy is a winger too.  

20 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Philips should even be in the squad nevermind playing up front. Absolute imposter.

GW34,

What utter shite - "...1 per game anyway"!

A lone striker, like Miller or Griffiths, might work his socks off, but, when getting dragged wide, with the finest of intentions, there is all in the middle. The sooner less talented squads realise that we/they are not Spain the better.

Gordon will last a wee bit longer, Tierney and Robertson are here to stay, although that partnership is now starting to echo Jardine & McGrain, which might end up being a very good thing. Berra and Mulgrew will have be replaced reasonably soon, by whom I know not, but our boy Souttar keeps getting touted. Personally I think he has a long way to go. Play him in front of two centre halves maybe. And please don't get me started on that BlueNose new boy!

Almost all if our midfielders are interchangeable. That's a good thing if you've got a solid back four and lethal strikers, but there is no spark. Only Armstrong really offers hope, inasmuch as he does what very few midfielders do. Most can run up and down the pitch, but he not only does that but goes across the pitch, has two good feet and can score. We missed him far more than that imposter Brown. McMinn, I'm afraid is more of the same.

Up front Griffiths, if deployed properly with someone else, instead of being the focus, should thrive. The unfortunate thing is that nobody stands out at present to fulfil that.

Pace is the one aspect of the game that other teams cannot handle. Look at Raheem Sterling - utte pish, but pace burn.

8 minutes ago, VASCO said:

And please don't get me started on that BlueNose new boy!

Is that Ross McCrorie? I know this lad as he's from Dailly about 6 miles from me. He's got his feet firmly on the ground, I personally think that within 5 years he'll be a really good player. He was excellent at Ayr and was head and shoulders above the rest especially given his age. If all goes well then this lad has a very big future in the game 

9 minutes ago, VASCO said:

Most can run up and down the pitch, but he not only does that but goes across the pitch, has two good feet and can score. We missed him far more than that imposter Brown. McMinn,

Not sure Ted McMinn is the answer. Doesn't have the legs these days.

If we don't have qualifiers for 18 months then we need to look at including some of the younger players. I would have liked Oliver Burke to come on last night....purely for that pace. Wales have included the Woodburn boy at 17.............where are we with McTominay, Sammut, Gilmour, Souttar ? Liam Lindsey seems to getting some mentions here, as does the young centre half at Aberdeen. I'd be tempted to get them all included in squads now, with a view to them having some international experience in 2 years time, when it's going to count.

2 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Is that Ross McCrorie? I know this lad as he's from Dailly about 6 miles from me. He's got his feet firmly on the ground, I personally think that within 5 years he'll be a really good player. He was excellent at Ayr and was head and shoulders above the rest especially given his age. If all goes well then this lad has a very big future in the game 

I am hearing good stuff about him. I think it is time we took a look. Sooner rather than later we are going to need to look to younger central defenders anyway. No point in delayingcthe inevitable. Get our youngsters in and give them experience now rather than leave it too late.

5 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Not sure Ted McMinn is the answer. Doesn't have the legs these days.

If we don't have qualifiers for 18 months then we need to look at including some of the younger players. I would have liked Oliver Burke to come on last night....purely for that pace. Wales have included the Woodburn boy at 17.............where are we with McTominay, Sammut, Gilmour, Souttar ? Liam Lindsey seems to getting some mentions here, as does the young centre half at Aberdeen. I'd be tempted to get them all included in squads now, with a view to them having some international experience in 2 years time, when it's going to count.

Hasn't McTominay opted for England now? Arsenal's Gilmour made the bench in one of their Europa games the other week (he now has nailed his flag to the mast supposedly)

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am hearing good stuff about him. I think it is time we took a look. Sooner rather than later we are going to need to look to younger central defenders anyway. No point in delayingcthe inevitable. Get our youngsters in and give them experience now rather than leave it too late.

Can we wait until he's played more than 3 matches for his club please? Ta. 

It's always fun at the end of a campaign with Scotland. So many people always come up with the genius idea of "just throw the whole squad away and play the kids". Like because someone was part of a team, playing a system under a particular manager that didn't perform to the max then they must therefore before be so terrible that they should never be called up again.

Who will the strikers be if we change manager? Probably the exact same guys.

Griffiths is clearly the first choice. Martin seems to have found a bit of a groove and justifies his place.
Beyond that Fletcher is, like it or not, the main guy who's actually playing at a decent level.

Rhodes is on the bench for his club.
Naismith's out injured but when fit last season couldn't hold down a place for in an average Championship Norwich side.
Stevie May has barely kicked a ball since 2014. He might get back going, but remains to be seen.
Cummings has 1 league goal in 7 appearances. Deserving a call? Really?
Tony Watt has sunk like a stone, struggling to find the net in the Belgian 2nd tier.

And past that you get into people like McBurnie, and Hardie who don't really play first team football.

So whether you like it or not, Griff, Martin and Fletcher will be in every squad they're fit for, regardless of manager. Hopefully Rhodes, May, Cummings and McBurnie can get going and make a case for themselves to be included, but at the moment none of them merit it, none of them have earned it and those saying they should be in are just kneejerking, wanting change for changes sake.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Normally, I'd agree with that but our need to bed in young players especially in weak areas such as central defence is desperate. 

Centre half is going to be a real problem in the next 2/3 years time. 

Goalkeepers: we keep Gordon and archer

Defenders: we keep the same defenders and integrate Lindsay and cooper so that they can replace Berra eventually.

Midfielders: we let Fletcher retire gracefully and stick to a brown, Armstrong and Morrison/McGregor middle backed up by bannan and McGinn. I would Ditch McArthur as I don't rate him enough at this level

Winger : we keep same wingers but integrate burke in there once he gets game time for wba.

Forwards: would obviously keep Griffith's and maybe martin, fletcher I don't think should be selected unless his club form picks up massively.

This is what I think should happen, obviously if any players crop up and start looking too good to ignore like say gauld or mctominay or John souttar then we include them as well.