The TAMB - so what's happening? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The TAMB - so what's happening?

On 10/9/2017 at 9:33 AM, DonnyTJS said:

Browsing various threads in TA Specific, there are a number of posters who seem to be under the impression that the board is still closing down.

Now that the 'play-off bounce' has failed to materialize, are the 'new custodians' (wanky phrase) going to come on to explain how they intend rejuvenate this place, or do they just intend to preside silently over its continued decline? I appreciate they may be on their way back from Slovenia, but it would be good to hear something soon.

"are the 'new custodians' (wanky phrase) going to come on to explain how they intend rejuvenate this place" Yes

"or do they just intend to preside silently over its continued decline?" Not to my knowledge, but with backing like that.......

This is the type of posting that we need. Good, quality contribution.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Mod11 said:

"are the 'new custodians' (wanky phrase) going to come on to explain how they intend rejuvenate this place" Yes

"or do they just intend to preside silently over its continued decline?" Not to my knowledge, but with backing like that.......

He's just asked a question. Don't really see the need for the arsey response. 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He's just asked a question. Don't really see the need for the arsey response. 

No he didn't. "Just" asking a question might have been "Do the new people have any plans to rejuvenate the board?"

"wanky"

"preside silently"

"continued decline"

Those phrases "just asking a question" do not make.

But thanks anyway.

Yours etc

Arsey Moderator

Possibly the most revealing thread on how the board is likely to move forward.

I remember asking this at the end of last month. I was genuinely interested:  It would be interesting to hear from the person prepared to cover the running costs about their approach, outlook and ideas too.

Donny asked a similar question.

No answer to either yet.

14 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Possibly the most revealing thread on how the board is likely to move forward.

I remember asking this at the end of last month. I was genuinely interested:  It would be interesting to hear from the person prepared to cover the running costs about their approach, outlook and ideas too.

Donny asked a similar question.

No answer to either yet.

Not sure how you can deduce anything from this to be honest.

18 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Not sure how you can deduce anything from this to be honest.

I can see that Mod11 is immediately defensive by their 'shite moderator' comment when all I've seen is mostly complementary posts about the mods. (Unless Admin4 was also a mod)

I can see that it takes over 20 posts before Mod11 decides to even take a look at Donny's post.

I believe that Mod11 is dismissive and sarcastic.

So, a defensive, non-reactive, dismissive and sarcastic introduction from one of the 'new' custodians. I'll be more than happy if my deductions are Peter Sellers like though.

17 minutes ago, Bobster said:

I can see that Mod11 is immediately defensive by their 'shite moderator' comment when all I've seen is mostly complementary posts about the mods. (Unless Admin4 was also a mod)

I can see that it takes over 20 posts before Mod11 decides to even take a look at Donny's post.

I believe that Mod11 is dismissive and sarcastic.

So, a defensive, non-reactive, dismissive and sarcastic introduction from one of the 'new' custodians. I'll be more than happy if my deductions are Peter Sellers like though.

So are you deducing Mod11 is the new custodian?

16 minutes ago, Bobster said:

I suspect more Sherlock Homes though.

5 hours ago, Mod11 said:

I have no idea what most of that means or how it happened.

I'm certainly not aware of any changes having been made to members' statuses.

I'll refer it to Technical.

Technical have responded.

I pass their response on without comment.

"Presume he’s just had some technical issues and fixed it and wanted to sound like a smart arse. Not really anything else he could have done. Checked his account and no special permissions on it or anything."

33 minutes ago, Mod11 said:

Technical have responded.

I pass their response on without comment.

"Presume he’s just had some technical issues and fixed it and wanted to sound like a smart arse. Not really anything else he could have done. Checked his account and no special permissions on it or anything."

That sounds about right. 

2 hours ago, Mod11 said:

No he didn't. "Just" asking a question might have been "Do the new people have any plans to rejuvenate the board?"

"wanky"

"preside silently"

"continued decline"

Those phrases "just asking a question" do not make.

"wanky" references a 'popular' thread on the board and was clearly aimed at the term 'custodians' not the people now performing that function.

"continued decline" was picking up on the blatantly obvious, but also on the mass suicide note posted prominently (large font, 'TAMB Closure Announcement' title, that sort of thing) a month ago which included such phrases as: "diminishing number of visitors", "we feel it wouldn't be worthwhile [to migrate the TAMB to a cloud-based platform] given the reduction in traffic and usage..." and "the days of messageboards are largely gone, being overtaken by other platforms" - you know, the folk running the board referencing its continued decline.

"preside silently" - in the much less prominent 'Board News' post announcing its reprieve (which now seems to have disappeared as well), which a number of posters seemed to miss altogether, hence my opening this thread and quoting examples in the second post, Admin 4 said we'd be hearing from the new team shortly. Elsewhere Admin 4 said his/her last day was a week or more ago. Since then, silence.

3 hours ago, Mod11 said:

Cheers. One tries.

When they do come and lay out their vision for the future, perhaps they could address a couple of things that various people have pointed out in the threads opened in the wake of the original announcement:

• The tech issues that have bedevilled the board since its changeover in 2014. The quote function problems have been pointed out for years (I have to switch browser to quote), but on other invision boards it's not a problem.
  • Lack of active moderation. Evidently we now have sarky modding, which is better than nowt, but the place has been left to its own wayward devices for well over a year (see a comment by Calmac in a recent thread). Remember when we had Board Guidelines posted, Mod11? They mentioned the need for a sense of humour (back in the days when you and I both had one). It's hard to moderate a place when there are no published guidelines against which to moderate, I'd imagine.
  • Rather than moaning about other platforms, how about using them to make people aware of the TAMB and the advantages it has over Facebook / Twitter equivalents ...

Looking forward to hearing from 'em.

40 minutes ago, Mod11 said:

"Remember when we had Board Guidelines posted, Mod11? "

No.

I've only been here for 5 months.

So are you part of the group with big plans?

Edited by andymac

35 minutes ago, Mod11 said:

"Remember when we had Board Guidelines posted, Mod11? "

No.

I've only been here for 5 months.

I don't mind Mod anonymity, but wouldn't it be sensible to work under consistent Mod log-ins? At least posters could then align individual mods with individual personalities. By taking over the log-in of an old, widely praised mod, are you not just ramping up the confusion? The point of this thread was getting some clarification ...

37 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

"preside silently" - in the much less prominent 'Board News' post announcing its reprieve (which now seems to have disappeared as well), which a number of posters seemed to miss altogether, hence my opening this thread and quoting examples in the second post, Admin 4 said we'd be hearing from the new team shortly. Elsewhere Admin 4 said his/her last day was a week or more ago. Since then, silence.

By the bye, thinking about it, I also used the term "preside silently" as a comment on the previous custards who made no effort to inform the board of the mounting problems - asking for ideas, donations (see all the unsolicited offers that were made when the closure announcement came?), advice. The first we knew about it was a 'definitive' closure announcement. I used the term in the hope that those with the new broom would be more forthcoming.