European Nations League - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

Not sure how this new format in terms of friendlies relates to the qualification process of Euro 2020 but I am led to believe the winners of each League get a play off place. Proper qualification for Euro 2020 does not start until March 2019. 

LEAGUE C (teams to be split into one group of three, and three groups of four)
Romania, Scotland, Hungary, Slovenia, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Greece, Norway, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

17 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Not sure how this new format in terms of friendlies relates to the qualification process of Euro 2020 but I am led to believe the winners of each League get a play off place. Proper qualification for Euro 2020 does not start until March 2019. 

Romania, Scotland, Hungary, Slovenia, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Greece, Norway, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Is it confirmed that will be the final pool Scotland is in? Don't think the draw is until January so still a chance to move up the rankings a bit given 4 points this month (although given how this works don't think it will be that beneficial).

Looking at that Serbia is best team by a mile so avoid their group, likes of Slovenia, Greece, Albania, Romania tricky but nothing to be scared of...well at least at Hampden.

What I don't understand is what reward you get for winning the group or finishing 2nd? As you still have to then play the normal qualifiers afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Is it confirmed that will be the final pool Scotland is in? Don't think the draw is until January so still a chance to move up the rankings a bit given 4 points this month (although given how this works don't think it will be that beneficial).

Looking at that Serbia is best team by a mile so avoid their group, likes of Slovenia, Greece, Albania, Romania tricky but nothing to be scared of...well at least at Hampden.

What I don't understand is what reward you get for winning the group or finishing 2nd? As you still have to then play the normal qualifiers afterwards.

The leagues will be settled after Tuesday but this is  the latest version. My understanding is the winners of leagues A, B, C and D get a place in the playground offs .

Edited by EddardStark

1 minute ago, EddardStark said:

The leagues will be settled after Tuesday but this is  the latest version. My understanding is the winners of leagues A, B, C and D get a place in the playground offs .

O.k.....so you're guarenteed play off place but can still get automatic in the groups by finishing 1-2 in the proper qualifiers?

I think I read they've done it this way to weed out the likes of Malta, San Marino and Andorra without having to make them have to play pre qualifiers as the press frequently calls for.

Could be wrong though.

12 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

O.k.....so you're guarenteed play off place but can still get automatic in the groups by finishing 1-2 in the proper qualifiers?

I think I read they've done it this way to weed out the likes of Malta, San Marino and Andorra without having to make them have to play pre qualifiers as the press frequently calls for.

Could be wrong though.

Yes I think that is the case.  Full details here

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2079553.html

36 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Could be wrong though.

I don't think they done it to weed out minnows, they'll still play qualifiers as now.  In fact, at least one team from the bottom pot of minnows will now get a place at the finals.  

I don't mind the idea, better than playing friendlies.  One weird thing is that you'll qualify for play-offs in Nov 2018 but not actually play them until March 2020.  UEFA was so much more simple when there were only 32 countries. 

13 hours ago, EddardStark said:

That's got a three team group of Scotland, Slovenia and Lithuania written all over it.:lol:

I think we should be using this competition like friendlies to try to build a team capable of qualifying automatically for EURO 2020. If we get a consolation play off spot then just treat that as a bonus in case we need it later.

Division C (which we are in) is as good as tied now (unless Belarus can beat France, which will mean they leapfrog Lithuania, there will be no major shakes) and we are a Top seed

Pot 1- Scotland

Pot 2 – Norway, Albania, Montenegro, Greece

Pot 3 – Serbia, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland

Pit 4 – Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Edited by wanderer

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I would love Scotland, Montenegro, Finland, Cyprus. 

Yep, chances are strong we will get a few new places/places not been in a long time..... Lithuania we just seem to not be able to lose :lol:

Given the outstanding fixtures, doubt there will be much change (Finland play Turkey while Cyprus play Belgium, so unlikely we will see those two swap.... good chance Serbia (playing Georgia) and Greece (playing Gibraltar) might swap pots.... slim chance Albania might go up a pot (if they can beat Italy) but as Hungary (next team up) are playing the Faroes, very unlikely.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Division C (which we are in) is as good as tied now (unless Belarus can beat France, which will mean they leapfrog Lithuania, there will be no major shakes) and we are a Top seed

Pot 1- Scotland

Pot 2 – Norway, Albania, Montenegro, Greece

Pot 3 – Serbia, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland

Pit 4 – Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

That's only 12 teams. Are we really in a pot on our own? If we could get a one team group we might have a chance of winning it?:lol:

I'm interested to see how the playoffs are going to work. I read somewhere that the 4 teams that make the playoffs with be split by their ranking and the semi finals would be;

1st v 4th

2nd v 3rd

So hopefully as one of the top ranked teams in our section we would get home advantage in our semi final. It's then quite vague about where the final would be, I don't know whether it would just mean that the ranking would be used to determine who has home advantage for the final or not.

In a way it would be quite good if it was done the way that the U17's and U19's groups are done in that one country is selected to host and all games are played there.

2 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

In a way it would be quite good if it was done the way that the U17's and U19's groups are done in that one country is selected to host and all games are played there.

I think that is how they are doing it, but can’t be bothered reading it again.

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I'm interested to see how the playoffs are going to work. I read somewhere that the 4 teams that make the playoffs with be split by their ranking and the semi finals would be;

1st v 4th

2nd v 3rd

So hopefully as one of the top ranked teams in our section we would get home advantage in our semi final. It's then quite vague about where the final would be, I don't know whether it would just mean that the ranking would be used to determine who has home advantage for the final or not.

Aye, the play off bit is the bit that they haven't made very clear yet. The actual Nations League bit is straight forward enough. But I'm not sure how the play offs are going to work out in practise. If the top team in a group has already qualified automatically for Euro 2020 then their place in the play off goes to the next highest ranked team. What happens if 11 of the  12 League A teams qualify automatically? Does the 12th (unqualified) team just play off against themselves, or do they play off against the best 3 (unqualified teams from League B ? I'm just not sure how that bit is going to work.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's only 12 teams. Are we really in a pot on our own? If we could get a one team group we might have a chance of winning it?:lol:

hahaha did not see any point in putting teams we can not get (out of interest, Slovenia, Turkey and Hungary are the other top seeds)

Will be either a group of 4 or 3  we are in.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, the play off bit is the bit that they haven't made very clear yet. The actual Nations League bit is straight forward enough. But I'm not sure how the play offs are going to work out in practise. If the top team in a group has already qualified automatically for Euro 2020 then their place in the play off goes to the next highest ranked team. What happens if 11 of the  12 League A teams qualify automatically? Does the 12th (unqualified) team just play off against themselves, or do they play off against the best 3 (unqualified teams from League B ? I'm just not sure how that bit is going to work.

Yeah I think they'll just be dropping down the leagues until the playoff places are filled.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Its possible to go up a play off division. if a number of teams qualify.

Play off's are pretty straight forward on their own, but can get complex when you start adding in factors like the traditional Euro route.

Main thing though, top seed means for play off's we have home advantage for the first game, but will have no clue where we will be 3/4 days later with the other semi final taking place)